This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B & S 18 HP Ques?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B & S 18 HP Ques?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:27pm
I have an old 18 hp opposed flat head Briggs in a lawn tractor.  It doesn't charge anymore.

Got a rectifier regulator on order.  Where in the hey is that thing located?

thanx
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:08pm
Most regulators are bolted onto the block, have 1 connector with 2 yellow wires coil to the alternator coil, and 1 wire going to charge the battery through the switch, though there are 2 or 3 'variaties' of regulators.
Do yourself a favour and pull the flywheel off and look at the alternaotr coil. I've had one that was TOTALLY fried ! Even the plastic ring was melted !! ALso a GREAT time to be sure the magnets are still attached. Had one were 6 or 7 magnets came off...that was a 'fun' repair...
Nice thing about B&S is you can download the IPL ( Illustrated Parts List) for any engine, just go online, and fill in the 'model' 'type' and 'code' numbers. 'code' is actually the date of manufacture and serial number. say 990129123456, it was built in 1999, in January, day 29.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:27am
thanks jay, I will be running with the battery charger until its spring chores are done and then tear into it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:45pm
iff'n its anything like an Onan, flywheel has the stator bolted to the back of it.  Regulator was also behind the flywheel.  On the onan, last I checked, $300 gets ya a stator, and another $300 gets the regulator...  On the old gravely 816, I used to aerate with, I would just charge the battery up, got about 4-5 hrs of use, afore the battery would die...Wink
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:22am
if you can not find a regluator then did that engine come off of a welder or a riding mower? the welder engine is charged from the welder side , if its a vertical shaft on a riding mower it may be unregulated (depending on what the plug looks like ) thats coming out of the engine so the alt. is probley toast,   or and other wiring problem.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:24am
if it has a red wire and a white wire it may have a bad diode right the plug coming ou of the  engine
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:00am
Hud, you nailed it.  I got the "ebay" stator in.

This setup has a diode in the charging wire coming out of the stator.

No voltage regulator, i guess.  It is take it or leave it for the charge going to the batt?  LOL

It was youtube to the rescue gain.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:15am
My current mower has a single cylinder B&S engine. It had a new battery in it when I got it and it only lasted a year before getting COOKED by the charging system. I popped a plastic plug out of the dash, added a double pole ,single throw switch and wire the input of the amp meter too it, then jumped from the switch to the amp meter on the other side.
 I can start the engine half the summer on a charged battery, just have to turn the switch on to complete the circuit for starting, flip it back off and mow.
 No more cooked battery.
 If it wasn't charging, I would  plug my battery maintainer in once a month and forget about fixing the alternator.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:11pm
i agree Charlie, I got kinda anal on that one.

To do over again i would do like you.  BTW, there are no guages on this bare bones beast.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic