This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear end ratio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear end ratio
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:07am
This fall will be my third, (yes count em) third attempt to get down thar to the Ozarks to ride with thet wild Thad Brown Hitchcock gang. I'll be stopping in Smithville to pick up ole Jesse james along the way. So far my best attempt was 89 miles into a 405 mile trip only to break down an return home.

An since the newest Ferd (2011 F-250) couldn't git the job done, well I thought maybe I'd try the oldest one. I don't have ole Ted's 1976 Ferd here yet with thet gas guzzlin 390 here yet, so we're gonna go with a 1991 F-150 with a 300 six banger and 4 speed automatic. It has to pull a 14 foot V nose enclosed trailer with the harley and gear inside, along with the nurse an her stuff. .

it's got 31-10.50 tires on it which don't seem to be much different than the stock 235/75 tires. But I gotta rebuild the rear end. The spider gears are worn out fer whatever reason. An I'm getting this vibration from somewhere. I already tried new U joints and balancing the drive shaft. Do I stay with the 3.55 gears or do something different? Yeah, it's a 4x4.

Edited by Les Royer - 19 Apr 2018 at 5:10am
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:42am
The ratio will not cause it to vibrate nor eat the spider gears, shock loading or severe side loads can, as well the 'Unsprung Weight' off balance of the 31-10.50's can. I had large tires on a 77 Chevy three quarter ton a number of years yet long ago, it too ate the differential spider gears as well u-joints but had a minimal lift of just 3" and joint angles were all good.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:18am
3.55 seems kind of hi for an OD trucko. Changing to a 3.73 would make it pull better but you’d have to change the front as well. Mine has 3.08 and that’s way too high. Mine isn’t OD.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:38am
um...4X4 so BOTH FRONT and rear diff gears will NEED to be changed ! bet the front one will be 'fun' to do....
3.55 sounds like a 'highway/mpg  ratio, 3.73 good for loads. I'd stay with the 3.55

Now a TRUE biker , would forgo the truck and trailer, and just ride the hog.....hehehe

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:46am
Well Les, hauling the Harley shouldn't even make it break a sweat. But,....if your nurse packs for a trip the way my nurse packs for a trip, then you had ought to just abort the mission now, until you can put something like a 379 Pete in front of that trailer. Suppose you have a "shoe closet" in that trailer somewhere....? Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:38am
LMAO @ Darrel....Les....listen to Darrel, he's got it figgered out right! oh...and what's wrong with taking the motorhome and pull the trailer with that?
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:40am
I wouldn't regear for a trip. I have regeared trucks that we're going to run oversized tires but 31" is a stock sized tire.
I've got 3.42 in my suburban 245 -75r16 s are 31" diameter. I don't pull my 7500 lb camper in overdrive just leave it in drive and it runs about 2500 rpm at 65 mph. That puts me right in the torque curve and it pulls real nice. With a lighter trailer I use overdrive but it's only running around 1700 rpm at 65 my trailer have trailer (ST) tires they are rated for 65mph just like all trailer rated tires. So I try to keep the speed down.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:43am
Hi gears only get better mpg on flat hwy travel and not towing. Round here high gears mean a gutless has hog. My 300 6 gets 9 mpg with 3.08 gears around here. It doesn’t see 60 mph 5 times a year.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:49pm
You know, if you'd a come an got that Ferd, it'd out pull anything you've got and keep on going down the road.....till you get by another gas station.
Are there any auto/truck junk yards around any more??  Change out the whole rear end.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Hi gears only get better mpg on flat hwy travel and not towing. Round here high gears mean a gutless has hog. My 300 6 gets 9 mpg with 3.08 gears around here. It doesn’t see 60 mph 5 times a year.

9 mpg? I was upset mine only got 11. Did a run to Des Moines an back and with some city driving mixed in I got 13. Somebody toll me if'n ya port an polish it, tamper with the air box and get it to move air a little better, you can get em to gets 18.

I pit a vacuum gauge on it and under about half load up hill it loses all it's vacuum. I tried it on the 96 and it's didn't make any difference but I'm gonna try driving it with the exhaust undone. If if that makes any difference.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:38pm
Remember mine is carbureted. The carb is junk. I plan to put on a offenhauser manifold and a 2v or 4v carb.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic