This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1941 C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1941 C
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:31am
Ok guys I got the old girl running after cleaning the goo out of the carb and fuel tank.  Put new plugs in and after a few turns of the crank she roared to life.  This is an original war C. Should I be using a leaded gas additive in the fuel or is todays unleaded gas ok.

Sponsored Links

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:35am
I didn't know you could still buy the lead additive, I hadn't seen it around fer quite some time. But that's not all.

I think you need to buy every additive on the shelf cause the gas nowadays ain't worth a crap if you ask me.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:50am
As long as you've cleaned all the old gunk out your fine running pump gas. Your tractor dosent have enough compression nor run fastenough to need the lead. It'll take decades of moderate use before valve seat wear will become a problem. If you've put a kit in the carb the float valve in it was the only rubber part that if it was still original it would have been eaten but the alcohol in the new gas. Those have been alcohol safe for decades in any overhaul kit. The rest of your fuel system is metal
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:10pm
I would use a fuel additive such as Stabil or seafoam. I use it in mine year around and don't have trouble with this great fuel we get now going bad.
Tom
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:54pm
As long as your not going to take it out and farm with it 10 hours a day year in and year out I wouldn't worry much what gas I used.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:20pm
Everybody talks about gas being so bad these days, but I’ve never had an issue with it unless it sat for about 10 or 15 years. Course, I think part of it is I only buy pure gas, none of the ethanol stuff. I’ve had some gas/oil mixed up for my leaf blower since 2016, and there’s nothing wrong with it yet.
Sometimes if I know something is going to sit I will put Sta-Bil in it, and that seems to help. Grandpa always says the gas they used to have was much worse than what we have now days. Said it wouldn’t last more than a month or two before going bad.

Edited by CrestonM - 19 Apr 2018 at 3:40pm
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:46pm
Back in the 40s and 50s dad always went down and bought white gas to use in certain things.  Don`t have a clue what it was,  maybe unleaded gas.  He used a brass container blow torch that he pumped pressure in used that white gasoline in.   I have a 52 super "C" that I use  a lead additive in when I can find it.  I always use a good dose of gas  stable and a carb cleaner and Marvel Mystery Oil in all my little engines that don`t get run very much,  I know it helps to keep things clean.   I despise working on carburetors. 

Edited by weiner - 19 Apr 2018 at 6:57pm
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:42pm
When I was a kid I think we always called it Kerosene... this is from Wikipedia and gives a more detailed answer...

White gas is a common name for a number of flammable substances:

1. As a generic term for camp stove and lantern fuel, its most popular current usage
  2. Pure gasoline (without additives), commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the lead additive were not required
  3. Un-dyed gasoline

White gas should not be confused with white spirit, which is more akin to kerosene.

See also

Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:22pm
This was not kerosene,  we had that too in another container and it smelled like gasoline.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:36pm
allis g, what is the serial # on yours?  The serial # on mine is 3308.  Mine is an early 41.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:27pm
Have to look tomorrow as I remember it's somewhere in the 2000's. Do you have road bands on yours?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:45pm
No, I have rubber on it.  That's the way it came and I'm glad, cause I cut grass with it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:50pm
I was told that the war tractors came with steel wheels because of the war effort all the rubber went to war.  After the war allis put rubber on the tractors. That's why the steel wheel originals are so rare. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic