This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to chain up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to chain up
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:16am
Due to the extremely wet spring and summer we had, we were unable to get into a portion of the woods. Now is the time, I think, to get in there and get out what we need. Kicking around the idea of tire chains for the WD, we may be working well into the winter.

Any experience or advice? Reputable place to buy them? Anybody got a used set they no longer use?

I am leaning toward logging chains with the huge links, not the worthless lawnmower ones that are made from the same chain as my dog tie-out.

Pretty sure they are 14.9X28's.

Thanks in advance.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:40am
I think it's Tirechains.com.  Been a few years since I bought mine.

Glad the tractor is orange.  Around here you'd probably get shot by the crazy deer hunters!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
1terrygladys View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1terrygladys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:45am
I have been fortunate to pick up some tire chains for my WD at farm sales for not a lot of money - like $55/pair.  Hope you can do the same.  Terry
WD-45, WD, 35 Unstyled WC, 36 Unstyled WC, SC Disk, JD 4430D, JD 4010D, JD B, Iowa pastor & disciple of Jesus Christ
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:51am
Get the type with the X pattern. The others drop into the cleats and become worthless.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:54am
had a set of bear paws on my wd 45 worked great, sorry sold them a few years ago.  I have double link chains on my d14.  they are bigger rings in the cross links so the chains don't just slide into the tread.  I always let some of the air out of my tires, put the chains on and air them back up, that keeps them tighter so they don't slip off.

Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:09pm
Tire chains are us is a fine bunch to deal with.

Big smile   Al
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:55pm
Used them on the 170 plowing snow.  Found that I needed to use some wire to tie the outside latch  closed so it doesn;t come loose.  Not much fun when it lets go on the outside, and wraps around the axle a few times before getting under the tire and bringing the whole thing to a sudden stop.  
Agree the type that has a ring in the middle of the tire, or an H pattern to keep the cross bars from dropping into the cleats is preferable.  Straight ladder chains are less useful.
Could push snow almost to the front axle with the chains on.  Would have been stuck many times without them.

Edited by Reindeer - 21 Nov 2017 at 5:58pm

copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:31am
I picked up semi tire chains off the freeway last winter/spring, and have enough parts to fill a large garbage can! I'm going to get a set of "Tire chain pliers" and make a set for my D-15
D15 Series II
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:14am
I bought a used set once and spent more time repairing them than anything. Finally bought a set to fit what I have. Don't remember where I ordered them though. Get the most aggressive ones you can.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:25am

These are what I have on my WD with the loader for moving snow. With these and loaded tires it is almost impossible to get stuck.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:52am
Well, turns out the tires on the WD are 13.6-28s. Someone said they have a set off of 13.6-38s. Can't a guy just cut them to size? Then you would even have some extra cross chains on hand. Is there a known "size" for tire chains? I guess the width should be correct, but is there a certain length you can cut them to for starters, or do you just throw them on and cut to fit? This is definitely a case of " measure twice and cut once."

Thanks for the help guys. I really want a set of bear paws, but the only thing more aggressive than the chains is the price tag!

Edited by littlemarv - 23 Nov 2017 at 5:10am

dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:22am
yep, ya can cut them down, the bear paws I put on my wd45 were from a skidder, the chains on my d14 were on a set of smaller tires so I had to add some links.  the good thing about bear paws, if you get stuck in a rut, you can put a pipe/tree limb through the center of the bear paw and lift yourself out.

what ever type you put on just keep in mind they don't last long on pavement, keep them tight or they will spin right off the wheel and enjoy the nice smooth ride they give youWinkLOL

oh and bear paws will rip up the asphault on the highway if ya get spinning....wanna guess how I found that out....lol  
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 6:23am
Used to HAVE to put them on the Fire trucks EVERY year.  Actually ON and OFF, numerous times during the winter.  If it was snowing, we had to put em on.  After the plows came through, take them off.  I don't miss those days!!

Yes you can cut them down.  The side to side is the important part.  They outer rings should come down to the center of the tire, on both sides.  The length is something you can play with over time and get right.  ALWAYS leave some extra side links because some tires have higher tread than others and you'll be too short if you cut them exact for the tires you have.

IMPORTANT: wire up the extra side pieces and yes, as Reindeer says, wire the latch closed.  We always did both to the tires on the Fire Trucks.  We had a spring gizmo that kept the outside side links tight too.  Now I use ratchet straps.  Those cheapy ones from Harbor Freight work just fine.  You don't want them TOO tight.  Others have used Bungee straps.

I'm leaving in a couple of hours to head up to the farm for the weekend of deer hunting Ryan, so I'll measure my chains up there and send you a PM on the sizes.  That'll give you a starting place.  Got a big bolt cutters?  Also the "pliers" for working on chains is about 30-36" long.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:58am
I got some big honking chains from my Father in law that he had on a JD with 38's on it.
Heavy like #75 each. Cut down the links and are awesome but a PITA to put on. Don't know what the brand is. They with shake your gizzard loose on frozen ground but great in snow and ice.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:49am
when you cut the links your gonna need either an "add a link" or do what I do, use a link I cut and weld it shut.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:54am
I bought a used set once. Cut them to fit because they where not the right size. Spent more time repairing them than anything else. Threw them in a pile and bought a new set that fit what I have. Go on easier and less trouble for me. But I am not as talented as some on here. New ones are not cheap but how many times are you going to buy them?
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:01am
Cut off wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder makes short work of cutting them to length.

When my Dad got his 5230 Duetz Allis with turf tires, I made a set of chains for him out of used road grader chains I got from a friend. Took 3 chains to make a pair.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:40am
Semi-trucks often have snow chains, something I have never used. (Yes, had them in the side box, drove plenty on ice and snow). Cleaning trucks out often netted me with a set or two. Is it worth shipping them north for someone to play with? Maybe someone from the frozen north will be coming south and want to haul them north, lol?
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:35am
I picked up this tool at a garage sale a few years ago........
Chain Pliers.......This one is made for heavy truck and tractor chains.
Makes the job of replacing cross links a real breeze.
The "scissor" end opens the link and the "pliers" end closes it back up.
As someone already said, lengthening the side chains can be real easy
as well by cutting a link, installing the extra links and welding the connecting link back together. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 8:34pm
Well, Ted was nice enough to measure his chains for me, he says they are about 2' wide and 11' long.

Got a pair that are supposedly fit 13.6 by 38's. They measure about 16" by 13'. They are worn, but I think they will run a long time yet.

So, they are the big links, in a cross pattern, should work good.  I'm a little concerned about the width, but the only way to be sure is to try them. The owner dug them out of his shed and told me to take them and try them, if they work, he said $100 would be O.K. Considering how brand new double link chains are $340 a pair new, that's not the worst.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 8:47pm
If they are too narrow Ryan they will tend to slip off the tread and then you've got problems.  They should fit AT LEAST 1/4 of the sidewall from the tread.  I hope you get lucky!  That's a good price.  Actually not a bad price even if you had to buy come extra cross links and put em in.  Course I don't know what it costs for extra cross links to add on. Confused
"Allis-Express"
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:20am
I've used just regulary chain to make them wider in a pinch while not as good as regular cross links...better than none!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm
Well, I tried that set of chains, they are too narrow. When installed, the side chains are pretty close to the end of the lugs, and I'm sure they will slip off. So, I returned them to the guy and said thanks, but no thanks.

The very next day, scored these off of Craigslist. They look to be in pretty good shape, they measure 28" wide by 11' long.

So, we will try them out next time I am up to at the farm.

Edited by littlemarv - 07 Dec 2017 at 4:57pm

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 8:54pm
Well, threw the chains on today. They must be for 14.9 by 28's, I had to cut quite a chunk off. So, now I have extra side chain and cross chains.

When I have the time, I may narrow them up by a link or two. But for now, I tightened the inside side chain as much as possible without rubbing in the top of the axle housing. Then took up all the slack on the outside. Looks a little funny, but it works.

Pa imparted some paternal wisdom on me:

Me: " Maybe I should take those chains off and narrow them up."

Him: "Did they fit?"

Me: "Yes."

Him: "Did they fall off?"

Me: "No"

Him: "Did they slip?"

Me: " No."

Him: "Did they hit the tractor?"

Me: "No."

Him:"Drive."

Father knows best.

Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:14pm
Daddy is a smart man.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 3:28am
looks like the same type I have on the d14, work great. if it ain't broke don't fix it..lol

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:25pm
Yep, shouldn't be too much work to cut a couple of the rings out and make them fit.
BUT,,,,,,,,what if in two years you find that D-17 with the 14.9s or 16.9s on it??  If it ain't broke, don't fix it......
"Allis-Express"
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 1:07pm
Need you some half tracks.
Can't fix stupid
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:52am
Sometimes it is best to not over think things and just go with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic