This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I got p***ed of today!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I got p***ed of today!
    Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 3:49pm
I have a garden tractor set up for solely plowing the crap that Shameless sends  us.  I bought it about 4 years ago, and have issues with it starting and running, all with the electrical in it.  The older guy that had it before me did some home brew wiring! Sometimes it runs fine, then it will not. 

SO after about 2 hours of TRYING to get it going, test this, try this, I went with the wire cutters!!!!!! Cut it all out, and going to re-wire the stuff needed! Eliminate all the stupid safety this switch, and that!!

Just have-in a brew and needed to vent!  LOL
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 4:57pm
YUP, 'welcome to the club'.... sorry to say....
While you're rewiring, replace the igniton switch ! If it's one of them INDAK switches, they will corrode and go 'funny', not the haha funny, the FPITA funny....
If possible, get a real wiring diagram for the beast and use same colors as original. Be sure to take a picture or two, make a map of where ,what  went.....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 8:22pm
I've done that on several big and garden tractors,last one was the 185 diesel replaced about 1 mile of wire with about 6 ft of wire.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:37am
Got it all done and re-wired.  Just like fine wine, takes some time!  Update on it.
I can't get my hand off of the ignition switch fast enough before it starts!!!  Charges much better also! Got all the light re-wired, and working like a champ.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
I'm really happy for you ! I know what a PITA 'electrical' can be and I design microcomputer based stuff....

indiana2door View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiana2door Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:56pm
Hope you never need that stupid safety stuff.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 1:25pm
What gets me is the BS 'they' go through to first keep you from cutting grass going backwards and NOW 'they' bodge that to ALLOW you to cut grass going backwards !!
 You gotta wonder WHY we 'need' a $90 ign switch on a used $500 rider...
idiots...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 3:35pm
Well for this tractor that I am speaking about, all it is used for is to plow snow, that is the reason I bought it 3 years ago.  So for the safety  stuff/switch thing, I have yet to see one on a snow plow!  And for the clutch pedal, I park it, let it idle for a few before killin the motor, so it is not moving around the garage.

Edited by Dave in PA - 06 Dec 2017 at 3:42pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 10:55pm
The 'reverse safety' switch... on many riding mowers... shuts off the electric PTO clutch... and for those that don't, it just kills the motor when you try to back up.

So if you have the former, you have a PTO clutch that burns out really, really early.
If you have the latter, you have either a worn out starter, or a ruined bendix, or an engine that backfires each time you realize you forgot and slapped it back into neutral... OR, you're wearing out the PTO clutch linkage by shifting the mechanical PTO off to back the hell up.

My Bobcat commercial ZTR only cares about wether you get out of the seat with the PTO clutch on, or brake released... or when you pull the levers to the DRIVE position with the parking brake set.  They're safety gadgets that actually make sense.

There's a point in 'safety features' where the design intention directly combats the operator's intended task.  In this case, there's times when you HAVE to mow backwards (like... keeping the chute in the proper direction, or when the area does not have sufficient room to turn around to mow forward).  There's also times when, amidst mowing, you need to back a short distance to recover a tight turn (unless you're in my ZTR).  Disengaging (either manually, or automatically) negates the machine's ability, and in frequent cases, results in rapid wear and tear.

Like vehicle doors that automatically lock every time you put the transmission in gear.  In a farm truck, the door locks wear out rapidly, and in the case of my '99 Chevy, wore so bad, that eventually the door would NOT unlock.  Trapped my wife inside... she crawed out the passenger window... you can imagine the profanity I got from that.

I was at a jobsite last month where a dozen earth moving, material handling, and other machines had 'back up safety alarms'.  The worksite was such a caucophony of back up alarms, that my rigger could not hear me make motion requests for a 130-ton crane.  The only solution, was to go to EVERY machine, EVERY superintendant, and EVERY contractor, and tell them to absolutely, positively stop EVERY MACHINE, so that we could give audible instructions for a very difficult crane lift.

There's a point when 'safety systems' become so detatched from reality, that they become THE PROBLEM, rather than a solution.

My dad loves his 'lane change warning' and 'adaptive cruise control'.  What will eventually happen, is that people will become so 'used' to these 'safety features', that they'll be comfortable texting while driving in commuter traffic in dense fog and frozen conditions.

The one safety feature that we must have, and the one that we should NEVER allow to be taken from the forefront, is the one between our ears.  With that, I propose that if the machines we use every day were much less equipped with 'safety crutches' for everything we might do 'wrong', that we'd be a S#it-ton more attentive to what we SHOULD be doing.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 6:19am
Dave
you're 100% correct ! Dumb down the machine, smarten up the humans !
 I HATE those reverse beepers ! OK, maybe I'm 'sensitive' cause I got 24/7 ringing in my ears, but they are a pain.Must have been fun shutting down the site for the lift, I can just see dump truck drivers fuming over the lost loads...too bad ..safety comes FIRST
brother does car tests for mags and rags, HATES the 'lane changing computer'. Me ,all I like is BASIC power door locks,power windows. Can't use cruise.too many IDIOTS on the roads around here !
What always got me about the 'no mowing in reverse' ,is 'their' ability to legally BYPASS it ! Oh well...
Silly law up here.. vehicles MUST have WORKING daytime running lights(DRL) for safety to get tags BUT DRL are NOT required while driving on the road !!
I see a LOT of vehicles without DRL on these days...sigh. so much for safety !

Jay

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
I agree with 'ya there, Jay-  I had a pickup truck, I installed ONE power window... on passenger side.  When I sold it, the guy buying wondered why... well, it had no air conditioning, and I couldn't reach the far winder, but I could hand-op the driver's side just fine... Wink

Yes, there was some consternation about me stopping all the machines, but I had the largest machine, and the most critical operation in terms of human safety, so they were all understanding about it.  I only stopped them for about 45 seconds at a time, four times in fifteen minutes.  My crane operation is well-orchestrated, so it goes really fast, and frankly, everybody on the jobsite was glad to have the damned noise shut up for just a minute.

I should probably sue the CPSC and OSHA for the ringing in my ears... even with earplugs in, a day working around them alarms sends me to bed at night in pain.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 12:03pm
I hear ya Dave ( no pun inteneded) , tinnutis(sp) aka ringing in the ears is a real PAIN. I got it 24/7 and it's really ,really starting to bug me. Make sme wonder how all them kids with megawatt car radios cope?
Even with hearing protection using grinders,tractors, etc. ,,muffs don't help ,least not much.
Sad thing is been told if I go deaf, will STILL have the 'ringing in the ears'.

Jay

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 2:59pm
The JD lawn tractor that I had  had a safety in reverse that would kill the engine if you tried to reverse when the mower deck was on. They have a button on the dash that you could push when you started to reverse and it would bypass the safety to allow you to mow in reverse.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 5:45pm
re:
They have a button on the dash that you could push when you started to reverse and it would bypass the safety to allow you to mow in reverse.

yup they ALL have that 'feature', which of course DEFEATS the 'safety' aspect of 'can't cut grass going in reverse' requirement. It also has added a big cost to the mower. 'engineering', wires, relays,assy line costs, parts, etc....for NOTHING !

1st thing a dad teaches his son to do is mow the lawn
2nd thing a da teaches his son to do is 'press the silly button'

Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:26am
Wasn't there a post recently where someone died because they started the tractor from the side and got run over and died because it was in gear? Wonder if a safety switch would of eliminated that incident....
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 3:56pm
People do stupid things all the time... hand-starting a tractor when it's in-gear will do that.

Parking a tractor, pulling the pin on a wagon, and having the wagon roll away over you will kill you too.

Stupidity kills.  Put a safety switch on stupid people!!! Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:51pm
does that mean you want more of that stuff now Dave?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 4:31am
NOPE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic