This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANTIFREEZE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANTIFREEZE!
    Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:42pm
What a fun day in Michigan. Rain and snow all day. My HD16 in my barn and had a devil of a time draining the antifreeze to flush and refill. Started ok by opening the top ventvsnd bottom drain. The block drain opened ok but nothing came out. Took off the plug in the top of the water manifold and water flushed out from there. Filled radiator with 12 gallons of green 50/50 mix. Very good quality. As it only took 12 gallons and that after burping it several times, I am guessing there is still old water in the system but should be fine.

QUESTION! As the petcock for the engine block didn't drain, can it be replaced? Not now as it's full but foes the elbow the drain is attached to just screws into the block?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 8:16am
Should have back flushed from there - removing plug - probing into opening or using air pressure to disturb settlement on block cavity  - then flushing with water 
 15 gal of 50/50 - use to be a affordable thing - now expensive to change 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
Now ya tell me! Lol

I probed the outlet but nothing.

Thought of air pressure but afraid of doing more harm. Likely will drain and fill with water for next spring and do over for next fall. Can the lower block drain petcock be removed as s unit out of the block? There is a small elbow coming out of the block that the petcock is attached to. Curious if whole piece will come out.

Thank you

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:29am
agree with coke.  probably just sediment/junk plugging it.  you can screw the whole thing out of the block and probe around with a pick or piece of wire.  once it gets going it will be messy
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 9:53am
Just picked up two new brass petcocks to be safe and will do the probe thing to get junk cleared. Should be able to get her shut back off after it drains bright Green.

Thank you Coke and Cal.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 4:09pm
Hey Coke and Cal. You were both right. I had a devil of a time getting the block petcock out but was able to finally get it out. Block outlet completely plugged with gunk but after some poking and running a small parts brush up in the block all hell broke loose. Got a good flow with new antifreeze finally coming out. Was able to get a new petcock in and only flushed out about a half gallon before closing it all up. Glad I listened to ya both and now I know my entire system is in great shape. Thank you both.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic