This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4W-305 trouble?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrhead(SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4W-305 trouble?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:35pm
My nephew's 4dub quit working in the field last week. Won't move and power steering is gone. He took hydraulic pump off and the splines on the shaft are wore down so it does not catch splines in the tractor. No parts available and none at salvage yards. Local dealer told him he should just salvage it. It's a really nice tractor to do that with. He doesn't want to salvage it. Any suggestions and help would be very appreciated. Thanks, rrhead(SD)

Edited by rrhead(SD) - 18 Nov 2017 at 4:37pm
2 WDs,WD45,D-14,D-17,D-19D,180,7020,6080FWA,6080 2wd, 6080 2wd(cab),8050FWA,8550,4W-305,Massey 8250. Gleaner L3, R62 &R65 Agco-Allis 1616H & 1920H, AC 720, Terra-Tiger
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:56pm
First off, I wouldn't salvage it either. That's a good looking tractor, and I'd love to have one someday!
I've heard from several guys the articulateds are hard to find parts for. I don't understand why?? If parts for the 7000/8000 are everywhere, why not these? 
I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like something must have been loose for the splines to wear like that. Would it be possible for a machine shop to build a new shaft? 

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm
JP (nwOH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JP (nwOH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 3:59pm
I have 2 4W305s.  I believe I have a NOS shaft that I bought to put in the pump.  Went to local hydraulic shop.  They were able to have a stacked pump assembly built that allowed me to hook up all the lines and manifolds that are bolted to those pumps.  That was 10 years ago though. If you tear that pump apart to change the shaft are all the seals available?
rrhead(SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrhead(SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:37pm
I would think someone could rebuild the shaft, it's the inside gear that is splined that would be the more difficult one. rrhead(SD)

2 WDs,WD45,D-14,D-17,D-19D,180,7020,6080FWA,6080 2wd, 6080 2wd(cab),8050FWA,8550,4W-305,Massey 8250. Gleaner L3, R62 &R65 Agco-Allis 1616H & 1920H, AC 720, Terra-Tiger
4w305 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4w305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:52pm
we have 6 4w305 -2 4w220 -2-7580 3-8550 go and get a shaft made and you will be money ahead.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by 4w305 4w305 wrote:

we have 6 4w305 -2 4w220 -2-7580 3-8550 go and get a shaft made and you will be money ahead.
Maybe get 2 or 3 made while they have the tooling set up, and save money again in the future, if need be.
JP (nwOH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JP (nwOH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:34pm
I have new: shaft 70275649 and seal kit 70273974.   Effective SN. 1174 
tornado8070 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 4:22pm
That can be fixed. Know of a guy in WI that just had the same issue. Had shaft made. Good as new. Please do not salvage that nice hard to find AC.
09’ DT205B, 08’ DT220A, 83' 8070 MFWD, 83’ 8070 85’ 8050 MFWD, 83' 8030, 82' 8010, 85’ 6080 MFWD, 84’ 6080, 79' 7020, 85' M3 RWD, 85' 920 diesel,AC C-50 forklift.
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by rrhead(SD) rrhead(SD) wrote:

My nephew's 4dub quit working in the field last week. Won't move and power steering is gone. He took hydraulic pump off and the splines on the shaft are wore down so it does not catch splines in the tractor. No parts available and none at salvage yards. Local dealer told him he should just salvage it. It's a really nice tractor to do that with. He doesn't want to salvage it. Any suggestions and help would be very appreciated. Thanks, rrhead(SD)

Did it give any signs of starting go ? Hard steering at start up until warm or not being able to move until warm or anything. Just looking for any signs in case I ever have that problem. I am going to check my splines out this winter before spring seeding.

Thx Mark
Mike Kroupa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Kroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:26am
If thought A-C improved that design over the 75-85 series 4wd's. but evidently not. Had it happen to my 8550 many years ago, going along fine knifing in NH3 and just like that nothing. Fixed it right were it died, at that time I bought a new shaft and rebuilt the pump and found a like new gear. The problem is that the shaft fits in a dry socket with no lubrication, A-C should of crossed drilled some oil passages to allow for some lubrication of the shaft. When you put it back together use plenty of anti-seize. After that I would remove the pump now and then and relube the splines. Good Luck, Mike
rrhead(SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrhead(SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:03am
Thanks for all the comments. The tractor had no symptoms before this happened. Just like Mike's, it stopped in the middle of the field. I do like Mike's advise of putting anti-seize on when reinstalling and then doing it again. We have opportunity to get shaft and seals. Working on that and finding someone to work on gear in tractor. Thanks again, rrhead(SD)

Edited by rrhead(SD) - 20 Nov 2017 at 10:04am
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:39pm
If JP has the correct shaft, I would suggest buying it, and immediately taking it to a reputable machine shop and have them match it, making several at a time. With CNC machine work being what it is, making several probably won't cost much more than one plus a few bucks. Then put the original back in oilcloth and stored in a dry place.
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by sandman2234 sandman2234 wrote:

If JP has the correct shaft, I would suggest buying it, and immediately taking it to a reputable machine shop and have them match it, making several at a time. With CNC machine work being what it is, making several probably won't cost much more than one plus a few bucks. Then put the original back in oilcloth and stored in a dry place.
   David from jax

X2!! That’s exactly what I’d do.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:23am

David from jax

If that is what you decide to do I will buy one of the shafts from you.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:02am
Any idea how many would need to be milled before the cost of production and possibly a fair markup to himself got made?  The idea of taking an original and replicating sounds like an awesome deal for several owners! Was this a weak spot of those beauties??
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Amos Amos wrote:

David from jax

If that is what you decide to do I will buy one of the shafts from you.

I am in too !

Thx Mark Laczo
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:33am
That's a excellent way to do it. Get your money first and try to not have very many on hand. You probably won't sell very many of them, but if you had some other really hard pieces on hand, that people can't get the word would get around. I was thinking of gears in particular. These tractors that are given to gear failure would be a good place to start I thought. And really it's not difficult to harden and temper the right steel. We do it all the time making knives. And there is a chart to go by, how long to heat, what color to stop at and how long to leave it in the Parks 50 and what temps to temper at. There are lots of good used tools on Ebay that have prices that are not to bad. I really wish I was in good enough shape to do it, but at 76 there's not much chance. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:51am
Somebody has to have an idea of all the people that own these tractors, and those people have an idea of a few more, etc.
   Everyone that knows an owner, contact them and ask if they would be willing to buy a single shaft, and how they feel about committing to a purchase. They will need to give a single person their contact information. 
   When the single OEM shaft is found, take it to a shop and ask for a price, and then contact the people who have committed to purchase with a firm price. Have the committed owners send payment and shipping costs. 
   Good luck and thanks for keeping Allis Alive!
      David from jax
               Northeast Florida
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:36am
Does anyone have a picture of this shaft? My Dad runs a machine shop and knows where to have gears cut and stuff heat treated. I'm thinking 5 would be a good starting point.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by BKarpel BKarpel wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of this shaft? My Dad runs a machine shop and knows where to have gears cut and stuff heat treated. I'm thinking 5 would be a good starting point.

I used to work in a machine shop, have had many a part reproduced. Sometimes it isn't worth the money that a shop needs to charge, but if you get an employee looking for some extra hours or maybe just a flat rate for a dozen, then the job can get done a lot cheaper. 
  Good luck everyone that needs this shaft!! Getting it done right before Christmas might make an employee happier!
     David from jax
               Northeast Florida
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:51pm
I would take one.
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:15pm
I know a guys that owns a machine shop!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:57am
How much, when and where do we send the money lol ?

Mark
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
In other words, cash talks!
joes repair View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes repair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
hello you would not by chance still have this shaft and seal kit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic