This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmer 912 6 Speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmer 912 6 Speed
    Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
Hi all. She was running strong starts right up then shuts down after about 5 minutes. This happened several times. Changed gas to fresh gas no fuel issues clean carb and clean air filter. Now it wont start at all. Battery has full charge. Hint: My lights don't turn on when ignition is on. I did remove some minor nesting from mouse on to of motor near cooling fins. The tractor is in neutral.

Could it be a short ? Bad ignition switch ? I was thinking it was the started but when I see my headlights dont go on it leads me to think there imight be a problem with bad grounding or a short possibly due to  a mouse. What is the best way to troubleshoot down the line before I throw away money at parts ? My ground wire from battery is connected snug to motor and connections to battery terminals are snug with no corrosion.

I need to get this done before the snow comes down as I use her to plow. I have plenty of oil and good compression so I dont think its an intenal motor problem.  Whats your input on this ? I would like to hear what you think it might be. Thanks and stay warm/ 12 degrees tonight in NY USA too cold too soon.
Sponsored Links

ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 6:12pm
You're certain its spark? It doesn't make any difference putting the choke on? As for the lights, you're certain the bulbs are good? If you're loosing spark I'd suspect it could possibly be a condensor or  the coil. If you think you have a short, you'll have to inspect the harness. You could test for continuity of each wire. 
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Hubcap View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:18pm
Today I used jumper cables and connected pos and neg from battery to starter and ground on motor.
The starter turned but it would not crank over and it was running great before this.

I think it may be the solenoid . I was going to ask you what the resistance should be in the solenoid starter and ignition switch. I do have a multimeter. BTW thanks for your reply !!
Cal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 6:53pm
The problem is the circuit breaker is bad or the wires broke off from the mouse pee. It is located behind the battery. Cal in Ct
Hubcap View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 11:37am
Hey Cal are you in Danbury ? I bought this tractor in Danbury CT. I will take a look at the breaker today. I did not even know there was one on this tractor. Will let you know my findings tonight.
Thanks
Andy

BTW Are there after market breakers that will work with this tractor ?
Hubcap View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:31am
The battery and gas tank I removed to look around today. The circuit breaker. Is that a little blue square shaped thing with two threaded posts on it ?
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Hubcap Hubcap wrote:

The battery and gas tank I removed to look around today. The circuit breaker. Is that a little blue square shaped thing with two threaded posts on it ?

That's it.  Should be easy to find locally at any auto parts store
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic