This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A.C. 720 w/ Loader ---What's it worth ????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.C. 720 w/ Loader ---What's it worth ????
    Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 1:01am
Hey guys,

We picked this up a few months ago and it has been very useful, now it's going to have to go. we just don't have room to store it and I hate to let it sit out in the weather.

I've done a bunch of much needed work on it to get it running and usable including a COMPLETE tune up with new plugs, wires, points, condenser, coil and setting the timing. I also replaced the carb with a new one, and did an electric fuel pump conversion.
it's still running the Onan engine which runs great, has plenty of power but does smoke a bit on startup and maybe a bit while running once in a while and barely noticable.
the fluids and filters were changed right before I got it and it hasn't been used much since.

then I rebuilt the lift and tilt cylinders, replaced a couple hoses that were really bad.

here's the bad:

needs body work and paint, the worst area is the hood where it looks like something fell out of the bucket and landed on it. it doesn't affect anything but just looks bad.

it needs a new grille but I saw where somebody found the proper material and it's not expensive.

the steering is pretty loose, could use tie rod ends and some general tightening up.

this tractor has the 3 point hitch with the PTO in the rear and the PTO connections on the nose, also comes with the ARK-700 loader as pictured. everything works as far as I can test it (no implements to test the rear PTO but it does run when engaged).

just trying to get and idea of what a realistic asking price would be for this thing, I'm new to the whole farm equipment scene.

thanks,

Edited by M.A.C.K. - 03 Nov 2017 at 2:52am
Mid Atlantic Customs and Klassics
Sponsored Links

rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 1:55pm
Deleted by author

Edited by rustydollar - 16 Jan 2018 at 2:39am
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 3:07pm
Here in the states they've been going for some pretty good money. Do some research before you lock on a price. Just my $.02
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 3:48pm
The first thing that you have to do is ask yourself, how much ya have in it?  Labor costs might not apply.  Then go from there!  If it was closer to me, I would give you a offer.
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
You've already done some of the things to the unit that most units need.  Similar units go for quite a bit more than Rustydollar was able to get his for.

I agree with ac720nut - research those that have sold before setting your price.

After looking for quite a while,  I bought one with an Ark 700 in Jan. 2017 that was the most reasonably priced one I could find, and still 7 hrs one way driving away from my home.  Burns some oil, no rear pto shaft or clutch, no rear 3 point, charging system doesn't work (ammeter was wired backwards when I looked at it, so appeared was charging).  Often, the charging systems fail, and costs quite a bit to fix with Onan parts, or put a mini alternator on.  I have not put the mini on yet.  My cost was after negotiation was $2450.00 U.S. dollars - thinking I had an operational charging system.

It seems like since then, in the spring and summer of 2017 there are a few more available, but still very desirable pieces of equipment  vs. paying quite a bit more for the newer plastic tractors.

Just my opinion - and my opinion may not be worth anything!  LOL.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:27pm
Mack, I would say around $2,500`$3,000. The fact it has Loader ups the price a bit. They are hard to come by in good condition.
I’m curious, where did you find a new carb? I wanted to replace mine but couldn’t find one. I rebuilt it but the throttle shaft has some slop in it.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
M.A.C.K. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 4:33am
Hey AC, the carb isn't the EXACT same carb as the original, but it's pretty dang close, in fact about 99% close. the only differences are that the mounting flange is a bit narrower but still mates up ok and there is no idle stop screw, I just adjusted the cable so with the control all the way down it idles where I want it to. the good thing is the high speed needle is on top which makes tuning tons easier.

I got it off of EBAY for around $50.00 or so.

here is a link to the carb:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262826426841?rmvSB=true

Edited by M.A.C.K. - 05 Nov 2017 at 4:36am
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:24am
In WI I'd say ask $3,200 & hold pretty tight at $3,000.  They are more $ this side of Lake MI.  You have the harder to find rear Ag wheels but something looks different about the three point lift arms.  They seem a bit long to me.
macvette hit the nail on the head about a working charging system.  Very pricy to repair with Onan parts.
M.A.C.K. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm
thanks guys, I haven't directly checked the charging system but I've never had to charge the battery and it never fails to start so I assume all is well, next time I've got it out and running I'll put a meter on the battery and see if it's charging.

I can't speak to the 3 point system as I'm not familiar with tractors at all, we just ran into this thing and figured it would be worth some time and a few parts. sounds like it may be but I need to talk to my partner about actually listing it for sale as is. personally, I'd like to get it gone before winter sets in too hard around here.

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 7:24am
Shaun lift arms are on backwards believe is what makes them look strange. I can't get pictures to post or I'ld show ya what I mean. I'ld say $3000-3300 fair price
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:06pm
I think shooting for $3k is a feasible starting point, but it would be the high end for that condition.  Premium prices come with above average condition.  If it were a Simplicity, I wouldn't advise it unless you had a lot of time on your hand to hold out for that kind of money.  AC machines move easier.  VA might be an area with fewer of these also, so that could work to your benefit.

The 3pt arms are backward AND bolted to the drawbar instead of the proper location on the frame, further up toward the axle.  I'd correct that, as they are more likely to fail, simply being bolted to the drawbar, and it sticks out as something odd to anyone who may be familiar with these tractors.  
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
whats the part # on the battery its running?
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:04am
I have no idea what battery he's running I've gone to the 420-450amp lawn size batteries as it affords room for external alternator or hydraulic pump. Have changed several and yet to have an issue with starting. Just my $.02
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
If I may offer a suggestion. When I purchased my 720 it was a mess. Had no idea if it would run because the insurance co had totaled it because of a fire that started in a bad bearing on the mower deck that caught grass clippings on fire on the deck. It melted the wiring harness, voltage regulator, and ruined the stator. So I pulled the engine and bolted it to my work bench. Oil was in satisfactory condition so I left it alone. I cut out damaged wiring to the stater, setup a temporary tank and key switch. With 1046 hrs on the meter it started after the pump got fuel to the carb and smoked blue smoke like a fogger! I ran it for 5 minutes at different throttle settings and the smoke didn’t clear up much. I drained 1 quart of oil out and added a whole can of Seafoam to the crankcase. Also added some to the gas tank. Restarted it and after another 3 minutes of run time the engine smoothed out and began smoking less and less. After 15 minutes it was about gone. I drained all the oil out and it was nasty black. Refilled with 2 new quarts of oil, new filter, Seafoam again. Started it up and ran it at higher rpm, then changed rpm up and down. Did this for 15 minutes and it no longer smoked. Seafoam cleaned the rings, valves, and internals. I drained it, new filter, oil, new points, and she runs well to this day with no smoke. Not bad for a engine with 1,100 hrs on it now. Seafoam is a great product and just may fix your small smoke issue by cleaning the rings, valves, and internals just as it did mine.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:33pm
Yes the charging system parts are expensive. Bought mine thru Jacks small engine parts off the internet. But I called to ask some questions and they have some really helpful people in their parts department. Very good prices compared to other suppliers. Onan parts are expensive!!!! The little crankcase breather hose to the intake is $38! Ouch! But when they run well they are pretty powerful. I think I had around $315 in the charging system. Yeah I know...crazy expensive but I wanted it back stock.
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:02am
Deleted by author

Edited by rustydollar - 16 Jan 2018 at 2:39am
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:23am
I still need to get a start on making a kit for the mini-alternator install.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic