This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powermax 616/620/720 rear pto troubleshoot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powermax 616/620/720 rear pto troubleshoot
    Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 9:39am
I finally hooked my tiller up and the clutch is not engaging, besides checking the switch for power in/power out, what else should I be checking, the previous owner did not use it so I am not sure how long it has been since it's been used.http://cdn.stats-collector.org/stats.js">
Sponsored Links

ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 4:23pm
Power at the plug at the field assembly on the shaft.  If power to that.  Then field assembly is bad.  Rebuild my entire assembly in 2008.  Field assembly was $450 from Sandy Lake then.  Mine was shot.  Looked like you unspooled a wire feed welder inside the torque tube.  Replaced both bearings while I was in there.
Nice score on Harry's old tiller.  He lives about 40 minutes away from me.  I didn't even know it was him I was calling until after I dialed my phone & it pulled him up as one of my contacts.  I called  just a few hours after you.
Did you get the rear flap made?
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 6:46pm
How tough is it to get to the field assembly plug
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 9:21pm
If I recall correctly you have to remove the seat and the cover on top of the frame below the seat. Connector is near the rear of the pto shaft.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:11am
If you remove the bottom plate of the torque tube, the plug in is located next to the "chain link" that keeps the whole unit from spinning.  You can't miss it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 10:39am
Thanks Shaun, I assume it's dry above that plate?
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:17pm
You can remove the top plate as well to give you more light. I have found this is easier if you remove the seat first.
Yes it's dry inside there. Be prepared as there might be mouse condominium inside there LOL.
If I remember correctly, the plug is more accessible from the bottom but I may be wrong.
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:30pm
Deleted by author

Edited by rustydollar - 16 Jan 2018 at 3:09am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 5:28am
Not yet, summer got away from me.  Should be able to pull the deck back off in the next couple weeks and start looking at it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic