This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 ???
    Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:14pm
Preface, I am not a good mechanic, last fall 185 started galloping at 1400 rpm. At idle sounded like it was getting air. Seemed fine at that time at high rpm. Put some diesel kleen in it and it cleared up. Was field cultivating today and lost rpm to about 1800 and no power. Throttle down and it stopped. Started it up and seemed fine. I suppose I am due for a pump rebuild? Kind of what I was told last fall but use about 50 hours a year and has less than 1600 total hours. One more thing, if I do the pump should I do injectors too or will they be good with that many hours? Thanks, sorry I got so long.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Sponsored Links

wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:20pm
When doing the pump, it doesn't cost much more (relatively) to do the injectors too and know they are good.  Then you know you have good pop pressures and a good spray pattern.  With your description of the symptoms, did you make sure you are getting good fuel flow to the filters, and also after the filters to the injection pump.  Another thing to check is that the tank vent in the fill cap is working, mine on my D21 wasn't and it would run fine for a while.  Then if you idled it down after working it for a while, it would idle a little erratically but not quit.  The tank vent wasn't working and would pull a vacuum and cause the idle issues by forcing the pump to suck air past the priming pump (I'm guessing since it had a tendency to drip fuel when shut off sometimes).

Edited by wayneIA - 21 Jun 2017 at 8:26pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:33pm
Usually when a pump is going bad the problems will show up at start up. Even when it is sucking air it's immediate. So, follow Wayne's suggestions and then get back to us.
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:17pm
Remove the sediment bowl and make sure there is two strong streams of fuel coming out of the tank. Sounds semi plugged to me. I got some trash in one of my 185s and it acted eerily similar.

Edited by cottonpatch - 21 Jun 2017 at 9:17pm
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
orangeman69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:43pm
when were the filters replaced?
d17,d17nfpuller,d-17IVdiesel,d19gas,d19diesel nf,d21seriesII,180,190xtseries III,200,210,7020,7060,7080w/8.3cummins,8070fwa w/8.3cummins,8550 185 w/322 original hrs.
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:56pm
My 180 has been acting up this spring and very similar symptoms. Had to clean the sediment bowl several times and it would straighten out. Replaced fuel filters and cleaned all kinds of junk out of the fuel tank including what looked like #9 shot. This tractor was from the county mowing department. I have an idea someone was unhappy with them as shortly after I got it, it  did the same thing and that time I got a handful of the shot as well as glass out of the tank. I'm betting you need to clean the fuel tank.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:49pm
If you got garbage in the fuel and put some cleaner in, it could get the crap moving and ended up in the filter and plugged it. Like said above by Wayne, check for good fuel flow from tank.  Check for any rubber lines that might be breaking down inside,  check to see what kind of flow at the injection pump too.
  Start up run and shuts down can be the plastic governor ring holder breaking down inside... and plugging the fitting on top of pump on the return line at least the 190 tractors had the check ball fitting on top of the pump that plugs when the ring is breaking down. Had to have my 190 pump rebuilt couple times over the years.
 Hope it is something simple like a bee or dirt stuck in the outlet of the tank.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:27am
Hi Jim, Sounds like the guys above are right.  Years ago I had a 450 JD that did the same as your problem, turned out a seal or something in the pump was breaking down and pieces were plugging the check valve in the return line.   On that pump it was a fitting on the pump the return line hooked to.  To get by all I did was when it happened I would remove the fitting and use a tooth pick to clean it and it would run fine for a few more days.   Final fix was to send it to the pump shop for new seal, wasn't too expencive.   Keep us posted!!    Mark
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:39pm
Classic symptoms of a flex ring broken down plugging the return in the top of the pump. If the tractor runs great otherwise, just do the pump, don't worry about the injectors at this time. But when doing a pump freshening, it is a very good time to service the injectors while it's all apart. A lot depends on your budget too. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:32pm
Update!! I did change the filter, check flow from the tank and it was close to empty so I drained it. Ran good just starting up but won't have time to work it til next week. I think I am probably looking at a pump job but will wait til I can run it some more. Thanks for the help.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm
Update!!! Got the pump off, to diesel shop, rebuild and put back on. Ran it today for 3 hours with no trouble so must have fixed it. It even sounds a little different when running. Hope for no more trouble but can't guaranty until I run it some more.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 9:57pm
that was likely original flex ring....pretty good because it was OLD.New ones are made of better stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic