This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD not charging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD not charging
    Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:53pm
I've gotten myself into a head scratcher and hoping someone else has ran into this.

12v negative ground with generator and regulator. Will only charge with the cover off of the regular, put the cover on, amps and voltage both slowly drop til no charge, remove cover, amps and volts climb back up. Figured faulty regulator, (was brand new out of box). Ordered another one, does the same thing. With wires unhooked and gen full fielded it charges 27v.

I'm out of ideas.

Carl

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 21 Jun 2017 at 7:53pm
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:24am
I hate electrical issues, so I am not going to be a good source. But Gerald or Steve should be along soon to help.
My guess would be a bad ground, but that's just a guess. Seems that the cover should have nothing to do with the charging rate whether on or off.
Good luck. Reminds me I have a defective key switch on a WD that needs replaced. I have not found a good weather proof one yet.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 11:30am
I know, it doesn't make any sense at all. I've seen my fair share of wierd electrical issues, but this is a good one!
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 1:45pm
Does it have a metal cover? Seems to me the older ones had bakelite covers and many newer ones have plastic covers so it's not an issue, but if something's touching the inside it might be bleeding off current to ground if it's metal.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:24pm

It can't hurt to buff the grounds or even add a dedicated ground wire to the regulator. This is a different one for sure.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:25pm
Install a good clean ground off the chassis of the VR. Usually, there's a little 8-32 screw in the side of the unit. Use that screw. If the chassis doesn't have a screw, attach a good clean ground to the foot on the field side of the VR.  Should be good ta' go.....

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:03pm
Cleaned grounds, and tried grounding vr to frame, did not make a difference.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:11pm
Just for giggles, put the cover on loosely first, then see if tightening the cover bolts has an effect. The land of almost right can build a lot of stuff wrong before someone tells them they're doing it wrong.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:21pm
I tried that too!! Lol. Heck, I even held the cover half way on and it still wouldn't charge, it has to be all the way off! The craziest thing, I don't understand.

Thanks for the help tho guys, I tried what everyone said, finally just called car quest and they said they would Warranty both regulators and get me a mini 40amp single wire alternator. Can only fight something for so long. Haha

Carl
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm
What did they ding you for the mini 40?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:14pm
I think it was $150 if I remember right from the last time they priced one for me. But after $80 for the regulator and 3 wasted nights, I felt the $150 was very justified. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic