This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running airseeder with an 8070?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngestfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running airseeder with an 8070?
    Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
So it seems I am in a predicament found by many people who are also trying to run old iron and be modern. I have a clean solid running 8070 that I'd like to run 27-33ft of airseeder with. However, I don't have the hydraulic flow. Now I'm sure somebody else is doing it however it seems to be undocumented. I've looked into pto run Fans and engine driven fans. Both searches have yielded little to no information. I did design a system to use a pto pump with a 3-pt mounted reservoir. I then found out my mechanics brother bought a setup like I designed, but I can't seem to find it. Looking for any experience or opinions from the community. Thanks.

Edited by youngestfarmer - 21 Jun 2017 at 6:58pm
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:37pm
If you are just running the fan for the air seeder, the 8070 hydraulics should be more than adequate. If you need active down pressure or something like that, that maybe would be a game changer. I've run a concord air seeder with the hydraulics on a 7580, 8050,7060, 8070, and now on my 8550. All are basically the same hydraulic system. They are a closed center system, pressure and flow compensating, with flow controls. May have to hook it up to a flow rater and get stand by, and max relief pressure set up to the high end of the spec, but it should be very do able. Darrel
youngestfarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngestfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:38pm
My problem is with lifting it. I have a friend with an 8550 who converted his cart too pto because he was losing too much fan speed lifting it.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:40pm
so...after the lift, does your fan speed...speed back up? then it's ready when you drop it?   
youngestfarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngestfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:52pm
It should but then your runs would be plugged so it's all for not really.
orangeman69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:57pm
we run our 8070 on a deere 16 row ccs vaccuum planter, the local dealer installed a pto pump with a reservoir mounted on the planter. works quite well. very expensive, ours was new and the cost was almost 10 thousand. was still cheaper than a new tractor. we are thinking about selling it and getting a newer tractor on the planter. depends on corn and bean yields this fall. no record yields this year!!!
d17,d17nfpuller,d-17IVdiesel,d19gas,d19diesel nf,d21seriesII,180,190xtseries III,200,210,7020,7060,7080w/8.3cummins,8070fwa w/8.3cummins,8550 185 w/322 original hrs.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:52pm
I can't quite imagine why your friend would be having troubles like that with his 8550. I've ran my concord the last two springs with my 8550, and don't have that trouble. I think that I have my relief pressure at 2,500 to 2,700 PSI, and I turn the flow control on the valve bank for the concord fan down, and the fan runs about 4 grand. Leaves plenty for lifting the concord. Have never plugged a run yet due to decrease in blower speed. Years ago, I pulled a smaller concord with the other tractors, mostly the 7580, with the same success. Darrel
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:02am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I can't quite imagine why your friend would be having troubles like that with his 8550. I've ran my concord the last two springs with my 8550, and don't have that trouble. I think that I have my relief pressure at 2,500 to 2,700 PSI, and I turn the flow control on the valve bank for the concord fan down, and the fan runs about 4 grand. Leaves plenty for lifting the concord. Have never plugged a run yet due to decrease in blower speed. Years ago, I pulled a smaller concord with the other tractors, mostly the 7580, with the same success. Darrel
How big a seeder do you pull? 
Better question: What do you think is the biggest a 8550/4W-305 would pull? 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:32pm
Creston, I pull a 28 foot concord, and that's as big as I'll ever go with my 8550. 28 feet doesn't sound all that big, but first of all, my openers pull kind of hard, because I deep band anhydrous. So then hitch a 200 bushel fertilizer/seed cart on, plus a 1,000 gallon anhydrous tank, you've got a load. On some of my easier pulling ground, I could probably pull forty feet, and if my hard pulling ground had no hills, I could probably pull more, but with hills, and hard pulling ground, 28 is enough. I go in fast range, first gear, PD high, which comes out to 6 miles per hour, according to GPS. So, in other words, actual speed after wheel slippage. It's nice, because in a tough spot, I have the option to down shift the PD, which has gotten me by every time so far. On a side note, my son has had it happen to him a couple times, where one front wheel will start to spin, and the differential lock will kick in. He says that when both them front tires start to spin, it'll pull him through anything. .I imagine some day, he'll learn different, and it won't be pretty. Lol.
Oh, one other power robber is the hydraulic fan. My estimate is that the hydraulic pump turning the air seeder fan will use 10 to 20 horsepower. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's still used. Darrel
ajl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 10:54am
Also trying to do the same thing.  Allis hydraulics should be adequate for a conventional air drill just not one with hydraulic down pressure.    Having the fan slow down somewhat when drill is lifted will happen even with newer tractors.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic