This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiat Allis FL 7 track loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiat Allis FL 7 track loader
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:12am
Hello, I just joined. We have always been a Allis family. I'm looking at a FL7 track loader. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The undercarriage is about 40 percent he says. He also says the steering to the right can be agrevating. I'm just wanting to clean up about 30 acres on my farm. He is asking 5,500. Over all it looks in pretty good shape. Any input will be greatly appreciated. My concern is part availability and price to repair ratio if I get it.
Thank you
Ben
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:57am
Fiat Allis is a little hard to find now as dealer network has changed - New Holland dealers were suppliers but things changed again and unsure now . 
 Having a FD5 - it is a great machine overall and I was thinking to trying to find a FL5 or FL 7 but instead changed ideas and retired . 
 Should be a good machine overall - now funky steering could be bad brake bands or ? Most things can be fixed - it's just how much time and talent you have or money to have someone else repair it . 
 40% under carriage ? have tracks had pins and bushings turned ? Roller life as well as sprockets can get expensive to do - for the price I would say you could put another $4000 into machine without suffering and have a nice machine - Then do you need the loading capability or would a dozer be better for what you plan on doing ?
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BHerd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 11:28am
Thank you for your response. Do they have wet or dry clutches? I'm going to go look at it tomorrow afternoon to check the undercarriage and everything else as well as operate it. A dozer would be sufficient for what I'm doing. Cleaning some wet weather creeks and taking some small trees down. Just clean up where we haven't​ had any cattle in a while. The reason I'm looking at the loader is because there close and on the cheaper side. I'm looking at the Fiat and I went and looked at a early 70's model John Deere 450B loader. I've hear horror stories about the clutches on the 450B it runs and operates good except in reverse when you pull the right steering clutch it bogs the engine and doesn't stop the track.
Thank you again for all the input you can give
Thanks
Ben
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 4:35pm
450B has dry clutches/brakes, C has wet but both work the same, hydraulic pressure when running is applied to engage the steering clutches so will roll when not running, works backward to any other machine I have worked on. Brake adjusters on both are the tender component subject to easy breakage if manhandled or forced to move.
BHerd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 5:38pm
Thank you for replying. The clutch handle has been pulled hard I'm sure because he said you had to pull it hard on the 450B jd. Does the Fiat Allis FL7 have dry clutch or wet clutch? Which one would you all buy if you were looking at both machines knowing there are clutch issues on both machine? Or neither? Again thanks for the input keep giving it please
BHerd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:37pm
Well, I waited to long. The FL7 sold today. Just the 450B JD left locally. I still can't understand why it steers perfect both ways in forward but in reverse when pulling the right clutch lever it bogs the engine and to get it to turn any you have to pull it fairly hard. Still keeping my options open.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:01am
Originally posted by BHerd BHerd wrote:

Well, I waited to long. The FL7 sold today. Just the 450B JD left locally. I still can't understand why it steers perfect both ways in forward but in reverse when pulling the right clutch lever it bogs the engine and to get it to turn any you have to pull it fairly hard. Still keeping my options open.

Possibly a couple rivets out of the steering clutch, on that side causing things to tangle, when direction is changed, from f to r...Wink
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:22am
Keep looking at the Fiat - price will be less but a better machine -
FL and FD are both Power Shift machines and clutches in drums are wet - 
like when AC made equipment - more power in smaller size machines but could outwork the competitors with advanced designs .
 Seems if it's not CAT or JD the price is at least 1/3 less on the market 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BHerd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:45am
I wished I would have gotten to it sooner. It sold yesterday. If I knew then what I know now. I probably could have gotten it for 4k. I'm trying to hold off on the 450B
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic