This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passing the torch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passing the torch
    Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:26pm
When I was about 8 or so, we got a John Deere RX75 riding mower. I put oh, about a zillion hours on that thing. 9 horse Kawasaki, 30" single blade deck, electric start. I sold it in about 2006 when I got an Allis Chalmers 611 hydro. I thought that would be the cats meow, mowing in the summer and snowblowing in the winter. Turns out it was too small, the deck was pretty much worn out, and I spent most of my time turning around when I was trying to blow snow.

So, for awhile, I was push mowing the yard, then I got a Simplicity 3416H. That was a nice mowing tractor, but it was pretty well worn out too.

My life is getting busier and busier. Two kids will do that to you. So busy I have a hard time mowing my own yard. Getting pretty tired of coming in from mowing and finding the kids sitting on their behinds in the air conditioning watching T.V.

Time for them to help out. But I won't have them running the old iron that I collect. They drive my hydro tractors around no problem, but I wont have them mow with them. So, I sold the 3416. Bought a Troy Built from a co-worker, 16 horse twin with a 50" deck. Got it cheap cause it needed some work, but after I got it home, I found way more worn out than was worth fixing. Plus it was a little big for them to handle, and most of the safety switches didn't work.

A few weeks ago, we had our big block garage sale. Lo and behold, two houses down, there sits a John Deere RX73! Same exact mower only not electric start.  I pushed that Troy Built to the end of the driveway, put a for sale sign on it, sold it in an hour, walked down the street, looked the mower over, haggled him down a bit, and came home with a nice smaller mower for the kids.

We went through all the controls and safety features, and the first couple times we mowed I would walk right next to them and make sure they were safe. They both seemed to get the hang of it pretty quick.  Once I got them to understand not to cut the corners too short and leave a strip of grass EVERY time, they really did a good job.

SO, this time, I did the push mowing and the weed whacking, Courtney mowed and Carter swept. That way I am still getting something done, and can keep an eye on them.

So, we did our yard, then the neighbors, as she is gone for a month. 

So there they go, down the street, to help the neighbor on the other side.

Huh. I cannot believe how big these kids are getting. I am afraid I may be getting old.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:05am

Nice job! Good to have them helping out.

10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:55pm
Does anyone else on here Wish video games were never invented? And people wonder why some kids are lazy and overweight. Great job of getting them involved and outside! 2 thumbs up! My grandson loves being outside and he loves tractors too! He is 7 but i am waiting till later in the summer to start letting him drive the 720. No yard work just riding it around. I want him to get used to it for 6 months so he will be ready for the parades that he loves being in. I want him to drive side by side his maw maw on the other 720 and me behind them on the 190XTD series II. Hydro makes it much easier to operate. He keeps telling me, see pawpaw, i can reach everything just fine! I am doing everything I can to limit the gaming....
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:10pm
Just to clarify I was not referring to your children. It was just a general statement.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 9:58am
You think you feel old now? Wait till they bring you grandchildren!  LOL!!  That's when ya really feel OLD!!  Kids grow up fast, so you have to enjoy them when they're little. When they turn teenagers, you start to see em' less n' less. When they graduate HS and head to college, you see even less of them.  When they find a girlfriend or boyfriend its even more less. They do come back though, for you to watch their kids once they get hitched...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:39pm
I had the same thought today, my oldest son Chad turned 27 today, he is 6'5" and about 245lbs. they sure do grow up fast and get bigger!  LOL

Good job with the kiddos there, teach them right, and to help others!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic