This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

early style 608/610 needs help/parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: early style 608/610 needs help/parts
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:36am
I have the early style 608 lawn and garden tractor. Would be exactly the same as Simplicity 5008(or 5010). The 3 spd transaxle in mine is real bad. I only have R and 1st gear. I can't get 2nd or 3rd to engage at all. Back when it did work, it had a clunking sound for a while so I am assuming that at least 1 gear has a tooth missing. Last fall I was mowing/mulching leaves in 2nd and the trans just locked up tight. Stopped the tractor dead in its tracks and killed it. Tractor restarted with the clutch disengaged but would kill again if I let out the clutch. Knew that somehow it had gotten 2 gears engaged at once. I managed to work the shifter enough to get everything back to neutral so that the tractor would stay running with the clutch out. Went through this 2 or 3 times before I gave up and parked it. 
I would really like to find either a good, working, complete transaxle to swap out with the old one or even just a good useable complete set of gears to put into my transaxle case. I kept checking ebay all winter hoping to come across something even if I had to buy a whole parts tractor for the transaxle but nothing. I'm fairly certain that a lot of different AC/Simplicity models used this same 3 spd transaxle and not just the AC 608/610 and Simplicity 5008/5010. 
If anybody out there has any leads as to where I may get the necessary parts to revive this old girl, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Sponsored Links

RickM(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickM(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 8:51am
Lionel,  I used to have an A-C  608 LT 3 speed.  The 600 Series A-C have Peerless transaxles in them.  Check the link below on ebay for parts or google "Peerless Transmission Parts".  Hope this helps.

Below is a link to another place (Parts Tree) that has Simplicity and A-C parts.   Looks like they have some transaxle parts including bearings and some of the gears.

Edited by RickM(MO) - 31 May 2017 at 10:32am
Missouri Allis Chalmers Club Member; 1954 WD45 (NF), 611LTD & 811GT Lawn Tractors
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:09am
I have a 3 speed Simplicity. If I shut it off in 2nd gear, I have a hard time getting it out of gear to start it. There is a safety switch so it has to be in neutral. 

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 6:45am
Originally posted by RickM(MO) RickM(MO) wrote:

Lionel,  I used to have an A-C  608 LT 3 speed.  The 600 Series A-C have Peerless transaxles in them.  Check the link below on ebay for parts or google "Peerless Transmission Parts".  Hope this helps.

Below is a link to another place (Parts Tree) that has Simplicity and A-C parts.   Looks like they have some transaxle parts including bearings and some of the gears.

Thanks, but totally different animals. Mine is just a 608, that's it. 608LT is newer like my 608LTD which has a Peerless 5 speed with the drive pulley on top. My 608 3 spd has a vertical drive pulley and I don't think it's a Peerless.
RickM(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickM(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 11:29pm
Sorry, can't help you.  I am not familiar with a straight 608 or 610.  Didn't know there was anything but the LT and LTD versions.
Missouri Allis Chalmers Club Member; 1954 WD45 (NF), 611LTD & 811GT Lawn Tractors
Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:50am
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Gary (sw Wis.) Gary (sw Wis.) wrote:

Is this what you are looking for?

Yeah, that's the 1 I'm looking for. The problem is that all of the gears are NLA(except 1 assembly according to this for $200-yikes!!!). This is why I was hoping to score a parts transaxle or whole machine with this transaxle in it.
acken View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
I have one from 5010 Simplicity for sale. Sent you a PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic