This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tractor decal removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tractor decal removal
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:06am
Want to remove the worn and partly missing front hood decals on my 4w-305. The decals are the banner type along bottom of hood front to back. Tried a razor blade scraper but not so good. Have new ones and putting new over old somehow does sound like a good idea.

Any advice appreciated
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:11am
heat gun and 3m decal and adhesive remover for the glue that stays on the paint 
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:11am
Heat gun and razor and follow up with acetone for glue removal is what i would try
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:54am
Go to a automotive supply house that carries painting supplies. They make an eraser that you can put in your drill, or they fit in a special slow speed die grinder. It will erase the decal and leave NO damage to the panel. Wipe down with some lacquer thinner and it will be like brand new. If you cant find them locally I have them.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 12:38pm

Wipe down with some 'lacquer thinners' ??

Doesn't lacquer thinners eat into / dissolve Paint ?

Gary
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:49pm
A gentler solvent would be denatured alcohol or mineral spirits or even goo-off.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:31pm
It wont eat cured paint, and your not soaking it, it just removes the slight film left by the eraser.  Dump some on a rag and wipe it off. I've been using those erasers for 20 years , you can try milder, but it usually doesn't take all the residue off
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:24pm
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:28pm
use DuPont 3812s to remove the tiny amount of adhesive that may be left, after you use the eraser, never thinner.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:05pm
I used a arisol spray in a can (can't remember the name) when I took decals off cruisers. I jusr sprayed it on and within minutes you are peeling them off. leaves the paint on under it. got it at an auto parts store....called decal remover.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:30am
I've used a heat gun and a plastic putty knife to remove lettering off equipment at work. Plastic putty knife helps to keep from scratching the paint.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:41am
Final consensus? More than one way to skin a cat. LOL
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:49am
I've seen the results of the eraser on a GMC P/U, and the guy is a real stickler for neat!  You could not see any remenent of the decals.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic