This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a rotten night!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a rotten night!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:56pm
So I've got some coworkers that had some stumps ground out of their yards in town. They have been loading up the chips and hauling them to my place and in turn I use the XT to load some dirt into their pickups. I have a dry pond with wonderful black dirt easy to access. Tonight one of them came out and got a load of dirt then I went to work smoothing out the chips they dumped. As I'm doing this the radiator starts belching antifreeze everywhere so I shut her down. I just put a cab with heat on it this winter and really haven't used it much but have noticed it takes high RPM's to get any heat in the cab. Anyway I felt the cap on the radiator and she was still ice cold. What's up with that? Got back in and checked temp guage and it was normal. Could I have hooked my hoses up in a way that would pressurize the radiator?

So I finished what I was doing this time with the in cab valve turned off and no more belching. Put it away and went inside. About an hour later the same guy calls and said he had the last of the chips and wanted to know if I could load one more pickup full of dirt, not a problem. He shows up unloads the chips while I head to the pond. Get a half scoop of dirt in the bucket back up and wait for him to come down to the pond. He pulls up and I needed to back up to get inline with his bed and as soon as I let the clutch out the right front spindle broke off right above the 90° bend! He was upset thinking the small amount of dirt broke the tractor, I was just relieved it did it there and not with the bucket above his bed or while hauling a round bale down the road!

I again say... what a night! I believe I'm in need of a cold one!
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:08pm
I've had the spindles on my D-12 snap off after hitting g-hog holes, while mowing hay. I keep my eye on 'em, now, if I see any changes in space, between tore and spindle.  they usually bend a little, 'fore breaking...
gerkendave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:13pm
I'll have to start watching more closely. Glad it happened at such a low speed with the bucket just a foot off the dirt!
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:29pm
So sorry about your troubles. I m glad it happened when it did. Sounds like a good day to me. We had one break on an N6. Thankfully too, it was in the field and not on the road.

Edited by Unit3 - 25 Apr 2017 at 9:31pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:57pm
Bad breakdown is losing a motor or a dropbox or a differential. You have an inconvenience.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:19am
At least nobody was hurt. Any breakdown where someone was is a catastrophe.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:50am
a friend was using the loader on his international 350 to move round bales when his spindle snapped off.  I had the one on the 8n snap off in a whistle pig hole.  I now wage war every year on the little furry buggers....

glad nobody was hurt
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:05am
A mechanic at a shop up here had picked up the front of a tractor by chaining it around the wide front axle.  He had done this for years as well as worked on tractors for years.  The axle broke because it was rusted out, and killed him. 

You just can't trust this old equipment, no matter how good it looks!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:13am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

A mechanic at a shop up here had picked up the front of a tractor by chaining it around the wide front axle.  He had done this for years as well as worked on tractors for years.  The axle broke because it was rusted out, and killed him. 

You just can't trust this old equipment, no matter how good it looks!

aint that the truth!!!  when working on the front ends i normally use the loader to lift the front end off the ground, but I always put jack stands, tire chocks, etc. when working on them. even a small machine will crush a person.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:15am
Wow John that's terrible. I've always been nervous if something like this happening.

Any if you guys have an idea why she would have decided to start belching antifreeze? I have one heater line hooked up at the thermostat housing near the sending unit and the other hose comes straight from the block.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:24am
hmm you got me puzzled! How a rad can belch AF without the rad being HOT is a mystery. My D-14 #1,goes up to 220, then back to 160 every time.Now it did belch after I cleaned the rad as I put in too much AF.
The only way I know a rad to belch is the rad cap has to be too hot or pressure, EITHER will then let the AF out.
I'd bypass the heater at the engine and see what happens. IF OK, then reconnect but put hoses on the other way round. Take pictures first...my luck I'd put them on the same way I took them off !
As for little heat..when disconnected pump water through the heater core, it should freely flow out.If not might be plugged and need a cleaning, 'back flushing' might help  or use a commercial cleaner product.

Please post whatever you find cures the mystery.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:28am
I flushed it once before I hooked everything up. I'm​ curious if my hoses aren't backwards. She I plan on putting a couple ball valves inline on the hoses here soon just to keep the heat to a minimum this summer. Maybe I'll get those put in and run it. Well whenever I get the spindle fixed!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:23am
In an almost related story. I'm in the process of rebuilding my girls tree house for the grandson so I was removing the 20 year old decking to replace it. My next door neighbor showed interest in the old decking so I texted her and said it was removed if she wanted any of it. She texted me back and said she needed it to build a ramp to put the riding mower on so she could replace a broken tie rod. I texted her back and said don't be a statistic in the newspaper. I'll bring my ramps over for you to use. I got over there with the ramps just in time as she had two concrete blocks and two 2x4's already set up as ramps to run the mower up on.   
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:19am
Yikes Stan! Glad to hear there are still good neighbors out there!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 12:06pm
To get the best circulation through the heater core, you want the heater inlet coming from very close to the pellet side of the thermostat. Run the return side to the inlet side of the water pump. Trying to run it back into the block there's not a lot of pressure differential between there and the thermostat.
The next thing is vacuum fill the cooling system. Vacuum filling eliminates all air pockets before you even start the engine. Once you use the vacuum fill tool, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
For some reason it won't let me post a working link so go to Amazon and search for 'vacuum coolant refill tool'. Don't waste your money on a plastic version.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 7:14pm
Thanks Brian! I'll look into the vacuum fill. Got the new spindle delivered this morning and got it put on tonight after work.. used her to feed a round bale to some hungry cows. I must say though after having one break it makes me a little nervous carrying a bale in the loader!
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 9:36am
Something like this Brian? Qbace Cooling System Vacuum Purge & Refil Kit

Or, after reading some of the reviews... maybe something like this is better... OEMTOOLS 27066 Cooling System Refiller Kit

Edited by BenGiBoy - 28 Apr 2017 at 9:41am
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic