This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Onan ignition. Trouble.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Onan ignition. Trouble.
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:07pm
Will the running 616 was parked running at high idle and started stumbling hard so I shut it off. I could get it to rumble but not run and now I can't get any fire. I pulled the ignition box cover and see no motion when I turn the motor over. What actuated the point and how hosed is it
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:07pm
Remove the points and the plunger will come out. What is its condition? Broken or badly worn? The whole sleeve and plunger can be replaced. I would pull the plugs first and make sure your pistons are moving because you may have a broken crank. And loud engine noise before she died?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:52pm
my whole little ingnition box got loose and moved and shut mine down 
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:57pm
One thing I hope it isn't for your sake, because it happened to me:  Engine running at idle, all of a sudden, sounded rough, and heard a grinding sound, so I shut it off. Checked oil, tried to restart, wouldn't restart.  Pulled engine out, pulled flywheel off = magnet came loose from flywheel, jammed in between stator and flywheel, and governor module, ripped governor/ignition casing loose, broke mounts, ripped stator loose, twisted wires from stator, and ripped them loose.  

Replacement flywheel, stator, etc.  Didn't solve issue to charge battery, and now I have put an external alternator on, and now charges battery.  I still worry that a magnet could come loose, and it could happen again, but I will deal with it if it ever happens again.

coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:00am
Mine was just running rough when I shut it off.  I will pull plugs and check for movement.  Is it possible for the plunger to brake and fall into the motor?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:01am
I've been considering a mini alternator for mine anyway so I guess we will see.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:05am
I'm beginning to think its the plunger. the adjuster for gap was maxed out as tight as it goes
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:20pm
While you have it apart a good time to put electronic ignition on
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:22pm
I'm going to hold off on electronic way too expensive for a 40 year old engine that'd be a good downpayment on a Briggs swap
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:55pm
I would say it is possible for it to break off enough and fall through. Not likely, but if your box was loose and moved far enough it could. That plunger assembly was the first thing that I replaced on mine. Ran rough, stuttered at times. When I pulled the plunger it was badly worn. Of course she had over 1,000 hrs of run time on it. I have heard about the electronic ignition and would like to find out its cost. Those breaker boxes are a pain in the rear to keep tight and points adjusted. I despise removing the heat shield to get to it.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:06pm
well feeling dumb, got it fixed saturday.  point and condensor.  apparently it was not running as strong as I thought it was before complete failing.  now I'm mowing faster with less throttle.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:33pm
Glad it was an easy fix for you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic