This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 power director issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
baverwolf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baverwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 power director issues
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:10am
Hi, my uncle has a 180 Allis and he is having some problems with the power director. He says that sometimes it won't engage when going from neutral to high or low and also sometimes won't disengage. He says once it engages it doesn't slip. He's thinking something is maybe hanging up or a hydraulic port or orfice is partially plugged. He also said that at lower rpms there is a hydraulic chatter or vibration. So, could the hydraulic pump possibly be bad or not developing the needed pressure to shift the power director?? I haven't been around the 100 series much so I don't totally understand how the power director works but I do understand that the power director is hydraulic if I'm not mistaken. Any ideas on where to start diagnosing??

Thanks!
Ben

Edited by baverwolf - 22 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
Sponsored Links

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:41am
90% chance it is mechanical - broke clutch plates in the pd clutch unit.
the unit not disengaging is the culprit to diagnostics.
 You can pull the kick panel and check the hyd pressures easily.
IF the pressures are close to correct - you have a mechanical portion of the pd  system that had failed.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:54am
The first think to check would be the linkage to the valve. Make sure it is fully shifting the valve.
Next I would be checking the pressures. You may not be getting enough flow at low rpm to maintain pressure.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:37pm
Power Director linkage is pretty much trouble free. Start with two 500 psi gauges connected at the manifold below the platform where the brake latch pawl pivots on. One allen head plug is for Low and the other for High. Your Uncle needs to pay attention when the tractor doesn't move if the POWER STEERING is working or not, as the same pump is for both functions. I assume he's checked the hydraulic oil level ?? which is to the LEFT of the gearshift--a threaded-in dipstick. I'm thinking broken discs inside, but time and testing will tell. Removal of the side cover and a visual inspection of the clutch will reveal broken plates pretty easily.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:17pm
Pressure regulator sticking at idle is common on the 180. Nut on bottom of valve. Remove valve and polish it up.     MACK
baverwolf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baverwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:28pm
Thank you guys for all the good advice and tips. Ill pass on the info to my uncle and hopefully he can get something figured out. In the meantime, keep the good advice coming!

Thanks!
Ben
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic