This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sheeps foot packer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sheeps foot packer
    Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 4:26pm
Fellows they are building a new dollar general store and maybe a new McDonalds across the highway from us. Why would they spend 3 or 4 days with a sheepsfoot packing -- then spend 2 weeks tearing up everything they rolled and put in sewer. Got 3 track hoes, a jd crawler loader moving dirt, man can these guys move a lot of dirt in a day.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 5:13pm
Most construction sites are choreographed for efficiency, sound like the band leader for this event aint got a clue!

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 6:25pm
or the government is payin them...Wink
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 7:38pm
"It's all a matter of plannin' "

Quoted from the Peter Sellars and Co performance "How to win an election or at least not lose by very much"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:04pm
Tom....I too watched a new construction site being worked, they bladed off the grass, dug out about 2 ft of black dirt and hauled that away, hauled in yellow clay and packed it for a couple days. then a week later they came in and dug all that out and hauled it away and poured a basement and built on top of that! WTF? bet that was an expensive danged basement!   
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:30pm
Ya -- haint figured it out yet, they have torn up everything they packed. Wondering if it isn't something to do with the dirt. My partner in the tire shops son was killed in a sewer cave in right in front of my north office window. This would have been 40 years ago. These guys are right across the highway. Going kinda deep when they have one of the trackhoes in the ditch you can barely see the top of the house. If one of them guys is close to the road when I trip up to get the mail next day or to I will ask.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:38pm
Compaction is needed to build on - i put septic system at a water treatment plant near here - while doing it blacktop outfit came in and started laying base - then brought in large smooth vibrating roller - had it set so hard my hole for septic tank - 100 ft from where they were started caving in - had to tell then either park it until I set tank or pay my guys to stand around until they were done with their job . 
 Was just working on a sewer job in city their 30" clay tile is 20' deep and over the top of that they are laying a 60" concrete storm sewer line - packing it with a plate compactor on a rubber tired backhoe 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:40pm
young guy that went to collage to be a engineer
And no field experience .

In town near me they made them pile crusher run six feet deep over the whole building site to compact ground for like a year. And this was virg ground

Edited by Mikez - 13 Apr 2017 at 8:49pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 8:43pm
Well they dropped off -- looks like a high track 7 and set up the laser today. Then they bring back in a articulated sheepsfoot. Man these fellows can move dirt. One hoe is so deep you can just see top of house digging deeper. He's dumping the dirt up on the edge of the pit. Another hoe in picking it up and dumping it behind him. Then the guy running the track loader shoving it away from the hoe on top of the pit. This has been going on for 2 solid days. Mountain of dirt. Glad I'm not over there with a shovel moving dirt.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:35am
I worked on a project at the new, 20 years ago, Denver International Airport.  Saw a track hoe digging in front of the under construction terminal building.  A wheel loader was moving the dirt away.  Walked over and looked in the hole, discovered another hoe in the hole digging deeper and the upper hoe moving it to the surface.  Asked a foreman looking guy what was going on.  Said there was a 5' storm drain about 30-40' down and they needed to get down to it to hook a pipe up from the deck on the terminal building.  Didn't do it at the time as nobody thought about where the water would go from the deck.  Asked how much it was going to cost, guy said he quit asking a couple weeks into his job, too depressing!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic