This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I needed a change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I needed a change
    Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:48am
So I started another project, instead of working on the 50 other projects that I have going on already. I went to work on the model forty five road grader. It has 3 main issues to address, and I think it may be use-able, not perfect, but use-able. First, the gearbox for the circle rotation was not working. We were able to get the top cover off of that without too much effort, and found a set of tapered roller bearing on the worm gear shaft suffering from a lack of lubrication. Would of been an easy fix, except that some idiot in the past welded the U-joint yoke onto that shaft. That shaft will get a trip to the machine shop for either a new shaft being built, or a repair on the original. Secondly, the steering tires lean function wasn't operational. A drive chain broken may be the only culprit there, unless there is an underlying problem lurking that caused the chain to break. the chain cover was filled with water, so hopefully a rusty chain that didn't want to turn was the problem. We'll make sure that that gearbox is fully lubricated and such before just putting a new chain on and trying it. Shouldn't be the end of the world. Then the third problem, is the power steering doesn't work. Haven't had the chance yet to look at that problem. Hope it isn't too serious. The transmission does have issues, too, but it has at least one forward gear, and one reverse gear. That'll work for now. I hope this doesn't take a turn for the worse, and turn into another dead end project for me, like an HD5G that is killing me. I'll keep you all posted on what will hopefully be "progress". And the person who worked on this in the past; well let's just say that his (or her) Mama should never of let them play with a welder! Darrel
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 12:22pm
Darrel!!! I HAD a 45!!! (got stolen from my shed!!!)---- The wheel lean chains get loose and no body ever checks them, til they break or fall off, ( had to redo mine too).---Mine had ps and it's kinda a funny set-up,---Also does yours have the hydraulic, moldboard slide option??? mine did and it was nice!!
Does yours have the 516 with DETROIT supercharger on it???? good engines!---I think they said that was same engine as the HD-11 dozer.
Did you get the manuals for yours?? I have mine around here some where, IF I could ever find them again! thanks; ac fleet
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Darrel!!! I HAD a 45!!! (got stolen from my shed!!!)---- The wheel lean chains get loose and no body ever checks them, til they break or fall off, ( had to redo mine too).---Mine had ps and it's kinda a funny set-up,---Also does yours have the hydraulic, moldboard slide option??? mine did and it was nice!!
Does yours have the 516 with DETROIT supercharger on it???? good engines!---I think they said that was same engine as the HD-11 dozer.
Did you get the manuals for yours?? I have mine around here some where, IF I could ever find them again! thanks; ac fleet

ACFleet

The supercharger might look loke a Detroit but ours has a Sweitzer plate on it.  The engine is basically the same as a HD 11 but has a longer front cam bearing with the blower drive.  So there are differences in the front timing cover area too.  No idea if they kept this when the fan drive was moved here on later 516's.  The HD 11 manual that I borrowed when putting the engine together covers this in cam bearing replacement.

Ours has been "farmerised" so wheel lean is hydraulic and it has hydraulic moulboard tilt.  Uses a second pump off the pto box for these.  I reckon the side shift would be handy for grading close to fence lines - from experience!

Darrel

With the original lean setup that means you'll have two drive lines to take apart if you have to split the frame - hope you're lucky or have small hands.

If you have to get into the steering box end of the power unit it looks (I haven't had to do this) like a lot of the seals ought to be standard o-rings.  Be aware that there is an adjusting screw - which you have to split the nose and get about a 6 inch gap to get to.
ghostriderinthesky View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostriderinthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 6:57pm
Don't need no stinkin power steering!!!!  run it for a while and you will have arms like Popeye.  Ha Ha.   ya need to get that AD3 running or put them together and have an AD 45
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:30pm
Thanks for the replies guys.
AC fleet, that's a bummer that your forty five got stolen. Was it ever recovered. ....? As far as the blower goes, yes it has a blower. To build on what Ian said, it is the same style blower as the 2 stroke Detroits used, but Detroit did not make the blower. Not trying to be nit picky or nothing just saying. I knew what you meant. I do not have the hydraulic side shift on the blade. I wish it did.
    Ian, with the wheel lean, I shouldn't have to do any frame splitting, I don't think. Should just have to put the chain on.
   Ghost, I think that the graders with power steering that is not working, steer harder than ones without power steering at all. The little bit that we have driven this forty-five, we do know that the power steering has to be fixed. Lol. I hope to get that AD3 running eventually, too, so no putting two of them together. Like I said in one other post a while ago, if I have a machine that needs parts, and buy a parts machine, then usually I end up having two machines that I need parts for, and no parts machine.
    I didn't get a chance to work on it today. Real work, in the form of fixing fence put a damper on it. Will see what that coming days bring. Getting dangerously close to having to prepare for spring seeding. Darrel
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:09pm
45 was never found!----The blowers I guess were actually made by schwitzer (sp?) and really made a smooth runnin engine no matter what the color was!
Wheel lean requires the bottom of lean box to be dropped and then the chain/sprockets/grease/dirt/etc can be worked on!
The side shift was a great handy option!---they also had a front dozer blade as an option.--I think the cab was actually considered an option at the time.---My 45 was a 1960 model, bought new by a township and later traded in on a new M-100,--I was the second owner and the machine still had the original paint/decals/dealer name on it.

I had a couple BD-3's that had to go to China because I didn't have enough time to move them to this place.--they had 3-71 DETROIT'S in them and between the 2 one nice machine could have been made!

Hope these post!

Should be a couple of my 45 the year it was stolen,---this was the last pic. I had of it.---The model is what I found neat, BUT couldn't afford to buy it! thanks; ac fleet

Edited by ac fleet - 05 Apr 2017 at 9:37pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:44pm
This is one of the BD-3's, never did get pic. of the parts unit!

thanks; ac fleet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:00pm
Cool pictures. My forty-five is yellow, but if I ever get around to painting it, it'll be orange. I like that model. What is the difference between the AD models and the BD's. ? It's a shame that yours got stolen. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:05pm
Oh, I was also going to say, mine is set up to take a V plow, but I don't have one. It's set up for a snow wing as well. I do have that, but it's not on. Doubt I'll ever put it on, unless ole Shameless really gets carried away with his snow machine. I'd like to have a scarifier, but that probably won't happen. All my cab glass is gone, too thanks to vandals. And that, I can't take out of the AD3, because it doesn't have any either. Lol Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:00pm
Darrel

"Ian, with the wheel lean, I shouldn't have to do any frame splitting, I don't think. Should just have to put the chain on."

I was meaning if you have to get to the power steering unit.

I'll probably be suprised if there is anything wrong with the lean gearbox.

I had to do a job on our circle box.  Got a new worm gear from Minnpar as the old one was stripped.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 12:31am
Darrel

When you're working on the power steering take the weight off the front wheel with the blade lift.

If you get the steering to work that way (you'll be able to feel the pulses on the wheel) it will probably work WHEN YOU"RE MOVING but may not when you're still with the weight on the wheels.

Cat fixer son just woke me up to that as I thought I was in trouble again
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 7:58pm
Darrel

"The transmission does have issues, too, but it has at least one forward gear, and one reverse gear."

So what is it doing?

We're in the process of getting ours mobile for some fire breaks so I was reminded.

We got ours with 1st and 3rd ok, 2nd popped out of gear under load.

Some "dig here" and we found that the dog clutch set-up has every second tooth short - maybe to do with easier selection?  The 2-3 selector fork is worn and it only got 2nd engaged with the long teeth, which wore.

If you take the side plate off the selector box you can get at the bolt holding the selector on its rod and move the selector.  So we now have 2nd engaging fully and enough travel for the lever to get 3rd fully engaged if you have the lever beyond the detent stop.  For the moment a piece of wire keeps it there.

So 2nd now works sort of - it pops out with a shock load like when you hit a stump.  Maybe it will wear in better ("then there is hope, but hope is not a strategy" E.M. Smith)?

It also looks like the fork ought to be removable through the selector box cover rather than having to drop the transmission so it can be built up.   I haven't attempted that as yet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
Ian, I am not sure the whole story on the transmission, yet. If I remember right, it won't go into the gears. Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:04pm
Darrel

Does it grind or not when it won't go in? 

2 inch pedal free play on the main clutch.  Adjustment differs depending on whether your pedal comes up out of the floor or is a hanging pedal.

If it still does there is a transmission brake on the transmission behind the U-joint which seems to make engaging better if it works.  Ours was missing the linkage so I've had to rebuild by picture and guess.

If it doesn't I guess you'll just have to follow the linkages and see what's up.

A bit of guesswork - if you have reverse and one gear that ought to mean that the right hand lever selection is ok as it does high, low and reverse.

The left one does 1st (dog leg left) 2nd over and forward and 3rd back from there.

So if you can get all that without the engine running maybe the clutch /brake area.

If you can get one gear or it is locked in that gear maybe the selector area  There are needle bearings on the selector levers for a possibility.

Happy hunting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic