This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor brush hog hook up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor brush hog hook up
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm
I just purchased a 1963 D 17 series III tractor with after market 3PT. I also purchased a 7 foot SW842 Sidewinder brush hog. My problem is that they won't hook up. If the drive shaft is hooked up then the lower arms on the 3 pt. are to short and won't let out any. If I hook up the lower arms on the 3 pt. and leave the drive shaft unhooked then the top link adjusted up all the way is still to long and when you lift the hog only the front end of it  will come up.Do I need to get a different 3 pt. hitch or is there another way around this to make it hook up so I can use it?
Sponsored Links

Leon n/c AR. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon n/c AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:25pm
Sounds like you need to shorten driveshaft, not unusual. Leon
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Probably a different top link would be what you need I have a bunch of different length
top links to fit the tractors/equipment nothing 'standard' about them.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 6:20pm
Since you are putting a new piece of equipment on an older tractor, hook it up with no drive shaft attached, and see if it lifts level, alt he way up.  If it does, likely its the pto shaft that needs trimming.  

Here's the best video, I have seen on the subject:

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/0vBFJcvs5SE[/TUBE]
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:08pm
make sure to have a overrunning clutch on the pto shaft so it does not tear up the tractor
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:47pm
If your three point is 14" from the end of the pto shift to the eyes on the end of the lift arms and your pto shaft bottoms out you need to take the shaft apart and trim both halves of the shaft. The top link should be adjusted so the bush hog sits slightly lower in the front than the back when in the cutting position. You'll need a shorter top link to lift the bush hog. At 8' it's a CAT 2 implement. Either use a limit chain or stop to limit the lift arm drop to the height you want to cut at. The 14" measurement is the industry standard for a Cat 1 implement. All recent production tractors should meet this measurement. When you buy a new implement on most of the time you'll have to buy the PTO shaft that fits your tractor. Used implements come with the shaft that fit the last guys tractor. When you trim the shaft make sure you take enough off so it won't bottom out bottoming out the PTO will destroy either the gear box or your tractor.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 22 Mar 2017 at 9:50pm
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:50pm
Strongly recommend downloading a manual for the cutter from their site. They will list guidelines for how much inner shaft is required to be in the outer portion for proper (safe) operation.
You need to measure it out so not binding when up but leave enough to properly handle the torque while set fully down at cutting height.
Sounds like cutting the shaft to length and a different top link adjuster may be in order.
I do not run mine (SQ172) engaged while fully raised as the angle raises cane on the U-joints, something to remember if you ever end up in an "angled bind" while cutting in rough terrain as you can tear up the cutter plus do major damage to the tractor internals by slamming the tractor PTO shaft forward.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 10:34pm
A quick hitch connected to your 3 pt may solve the problem. I have the same issue with my series 1. Using a quick hitch will set the implement back 3-4 inches from the 3 pt arm connection and allow more room to connect the shaft
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:22am
Smoke, One thing I learned with my bush hog on my D-14 is, a rigid top link can be a problem when you are on uneven ground. If the front of the tractor goes up, the top link goes into compression and can bend the bush hog connections. I replaced the top link with a piece of chain. No more bent arms. When the bush hog is raised, it works just like a rigid top link. When a rigid top link would go into compression because the tractor front goes up or the bush hog tail wheel goes up, the chain goes slack. Hope this helps. Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Smoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:13am
SmileA big thanks to all of you who have commented on my question. The comment's shared are all great advice and I have learned a bunch here. I'm sure I will be using this forum often as problems arise that I know nothing about, and I know I van count on you all to help me out. Thanks again, smoke  
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:22am
I 2nd the use of a heavy chain to replace the top link, it gives the brush hog more ability to float on uneven ground. Someone had already done that on my unit when I acquired it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:45pm
If you can find an old AC  bush hog top link rooster comb, v bar, and chains, its the best set up for ANY bush hog, mounted on an AC snap coupler conversion...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic