This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

426 puling head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 426 puling head
    Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:37pm
What are you guys doing on the 426 for valves? Our concern with porting/airflow, is how deep the valve sits below the surface, so won't flow much at all until half way opened up. Do IH 466 valves fit these very well? Thanks for the input. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Sponsored Links

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:23am

Hey Ed, my machinist went with (gasp) JD valves from a 5020, 2 inch intakes,forget the ex size. Those inconel and stainless one piece valves are pretty spendy arent they! As far as the valves being recessed I ground  a wider angle around the valves and removed the swirl notch on the intake. I didnt think the valves were recessed to bad, did you ever see moline heads, now there are some shrouded valves! Do you have a flow bench? Without block filler 250cfm seems to be the number my machinist claims.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 12:22pm
I do not have a flow bench, but am thinking about buying one, if I find a deal on one lol! I'm surprised the 5020 has 3/8" stems! I've been running stock 426 valves from agco, but do worry about dropping one. Inconel would be great if I could find a part number and supplier.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

I do not have a flow bench, but am thinking about buying one, if I find a deal on one lol! I'm surprised the 5020 has 3/8" stems! I've been running stock 426 valves from agco, but do worry about dropping one. Inconel would be great if I could find a part number and supplier.

Call Wipeout in Ohio, can get any size inconel valves you want.  937 497 9473  They also have ported Allis heads, need lotsa  cabbage!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 10:24pm
I have a little supply of inconel valves, 1.9" x 6.220 long .341" stem and I'd have to check the Grove to tip length, .300" guessing. If they'll work. (Take outs from our super) I think I give $60 a valve when I order them from Victory valves, I don't know what other outfits get. If you want a flow bench Ed, I have a super flow sf600 that I may part with.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 10:26pm
If you give.me the dimensions. Ed, I can get them on an order.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
Thanks Marty! I think after much discussion, the stock valves should be fine, and not my bottle neck. Pm me on what the flow bench would cost me. I've found one SF300 not too far, but it's priced out of my reasoning. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:31am

Ed, hows the porting going?  Some free advice... fill the head with Rokblock, I ground into a water jacket in a area I didnt think there would be any coolant yesterday!  It was the intake floor in the middle of the port.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:08am
I've got a friend of mine that ports heads working on it. I didn't know he would work on a diesel head. He is finding all kinds of room for improvement. I gave him a wounded head he could cut up to look at the ports, and cooling passages. He is geting me valves with smaller stems, so we can get some of the plug out of the center of the valve pocket lol! I'm really optimistic about the way this old clunker might run this year!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:04am

Egads!!!!  I was comparing two heads and noticed the castings are different after Ive been told by many no difference!!  Looking down on the intake port between the push rod holes on the far less desirable heads the port tapers in towards the top making the top of the port a good 1/4 inch narrower.  Thats huge, I hog my ports pretty thin in that area, those heads are junk for performance.
  I hope you got the good heads Ed!
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:55am
AC 426 & 301 engines have 1.45:1 rockerarms. Installing 1.75:1 rockerarms + stiffer springs & pushrods, will greatly improve the performance, whatever head or porting or valves you have! 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:16pm
I've had Murphy rockers on it for several years, along with several different grind cams. I stock and sell the Smith Bros pushrods for 301 and 426 AC, so that is also taken care of.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 7:12am
The race is on!!!!!!!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:20am
I went with smaller stems and dropped one. Went back with 3/8 could not tell any difference.    MACK
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

I went with smaller stems and dropped one. Went back with 3/8 could not tell any difference.    MACK

Ouch!!!! Were they one piece valves?
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:08pm
They were stainless steel.   MACK
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:35am
these valves are supposed to be inconel, basically what top fuel drag cars use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic