This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mileage to Hours ratio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mileage to Hours ratio
    Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:51am
Does anyone know what the ratio is in regards to mileage on a vehicle and hours?  I am looking at a commercial truck that is for sale. The speedometer is broke, but the hour meter works just fine.
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Sponsored Links

7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:13am
On our trucks you can figure about 25-30 miles for every hour. It just depends how many idle hours it had though. On a day cab I would guess that number would be higher.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:14am
Just a wild guess , but figure 50 miles per clock hour, and compare the total miles to the condition of the truck....lots of variables involved.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:25am
Gary... that's a very wild guess....think about it...50 miles per hour ! Tain't no way that'd be true unless it was hauling stuff coast to coast on a highway....in city there's traffic lights, slow speed signs, winter starting(1/2-1 hr at idle), unloading(engine's running most  times...) waits in traffic jams, cross boarder xings, etc.
Man a LOT of 'variables'....you'd HAVE to KNOW how it was used.. short haul/long haul/1 drop, 100 drops, sigh....I'm no trucker but I can see a lot of variables to consider....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
I drive 45 miles each way to work, through mainly rural areas.  I have 4 traffic lights in the trip, and when i reset the data on the cars computer, most of the time it figures out an average speed of 39 mph.  Most of my trip i drive at 55-60, so like mentioned above, the stops, starts, traffic, going through town, etc brings it down quite a bit.  
For a truck, i would imagine there is plenty of 'idling' time at stops, etc, so it would be fairly low avg miles per hour.  
Most fire trucks are very low miles, but HIGH hours.  Quite common for them to drive 5-10 miles and then sit running for a couple hours at a fire scene.

skateboarder68 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:58pm
On a semi 35 miles per total engine hour is normal. If the truck ran 600 miles a day on the interstate it may be 45 miles per engine hour. If the truck had a wet kit it will be lower. I've talked to a couple truck gurus who 35-40 is normal.
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:11pm
hmm, what we don't know is what the 'commercial truck' is and how it's been used. it'd haelp to know...
IE: nighbour delivers plant from greenhouse to homerdepot in a 'commercial truck'. it's left running during deliveries to keep rest of the crops cool ..some highway,most city(depot to depot).
nuther guy was an ice road trucker, brutal on semis....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:22pm
Older truck? Newer trucks would have the miles stored in the computer if only the display was defective.
David KY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 3:39pm
When I managed a large vehicle fleet , a Chrysler rep. said that they figured 33 miles per hour on the hour meter.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:01pm
Miles aren't really that important it's how it was treated. If it was a farm truck, O/O, or fleet truck. Fleets sometimes don't take as good of care of their trucks. Owner operators usually take more pride in their truck and keep it maintained. I have a million.2k truck that hasn't had any major engine work done and always got along fine with it until I replaced it with a newer one. How many hours are we talking? 10, 20, 30,000? If it was an over the road truck and it idled 8 hours per night if he slept with it running that racks up hours quicker than city driving.

Edited by 7060 - 20 Feb 2017 at 6:04pm
lowell66dart View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowell66dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:34pm
My 2010 Doge which has an hour meter works out to 40 per hour.
AC 6080 (8030,7060,200,175,D-17HC, 6040,160,6140 all gone) Farmall 1066 & 656 Hi-Clear (for sale), White 2-62 High Clearance, JD 4255 Hi Clear.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic