This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5020 Clutch Replacement Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zutanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5020 Clutch Replacement Advice?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:37pm
Good Evening! I recently purchased this derelict AC 5020 FWD. It's running; I'm repairing the fwd (after finally parts) and think that I need to replace the clutch. There doesn't appear to be a window to check the disk wear and I'm just reacting to signs that I see.
At this time, the front axles are off and the front end is on blocks. The back wheels are still on.
Does anyone know the best way to go about separating the front end (engine) from the rear end (transmission)?
Thank you for your help! - Michael, Eugene, Or.
Sponsored Links

210Postin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210Postin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:48pm
Depends on what you have for stands and a lift be alot easier with front axle and safer .You can do it but happens had to put a clutch in both of my 5020s .best of luck
zutanz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zutanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:47am
Thanks for your time.  I do have an engine hoist, tho' it might not go high enough.
What do you think of this idea: I put the front axles/wheels back on; use two floor jacks, with 1 under the engine and the other under the transmission; separate the engine and tranny and roll each half apart.  It's on a smooth concrete floor in my garage.
  Think this would work? - Michael
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
I've done that with the front 1/2 of a C. Back 1/2 was blocked up and l rolled the front end away from the back half. Worked good,
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 1:33pm
Done that on a B .Blocked up front and used chain fall on rear Put vise grips on pto and put in gear and cranked it apart.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:02pm
i changed my clutch last year.  here's a pic of when it was apart.  i used jacks on the back, hoist on  the front which allowed me to roll it apart

If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic