This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

kill switches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kill switches
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:21am
What r people using for tether switches on there tractors?
Sponsored Links

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:50am
For a spark ignition a lot of people use a trailer breakaway plug. Its the switch that's designed to apply the trailer breaks if the trailer comes unhooked.
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
Robacpuller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:10am
They r normal open I think, I have one how do u wire it.
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:26am
Im not exactly sure how they are wired. I would think if it was wired to ground out the coil it would eliminate the spark to the engine.
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 12:26pm
We use a cheap 4 prong trailer round plug. Had to put a hook on the end for the tether and pop the spring loaded locking cap off. Probably not something you would use if your running a $ 10,000 engine and a $ 3,000 paint job. Lol.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 3:40pm
That's a good idea.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 4:47pm
Anyone using a trailer breakaway switch to ground out their distributer is asking for a fire. causing a dead short in the wiring will heat things up quickly.  I've always used an electrical outlet. then loop a wire to both terminals of a plug, then right there is the loop for the sled tether to snap to.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
mjbower View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:18pm
Look up seadog personal watercraft kill switch on ebay I bought two of them seem like the best way to go. Please don't use a trailer break away on a distributor it's not a good idea. trailer break away works perfect for a magneto though.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 7:02pm
Thanks for ideas,I won't use brake switch,I like idea of 4 prong outlet. I bought a tether on the Internet it did not say that it was an open switch.
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:01pm
the brake away switch works fine' all it dose is cuts of the power to the coil' shuts off motor' has nothing to do with any fire or getting anything hot' when it's pulled everything it dead
bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:09pm
The ones I have seen on alky tractor are simply a 3 prog yellow extension cord repair plug. Use a 2" ring with a jumper inside from one prog to other to make contact. Then have a small 1/2" eyelet beside the plug with a standeard electrical zip tie threw the eyelet and ring to hold the plug from coming out so easy. But will bust when cable is pulled. I do not know what connection is being broken when it's pulled. I'm sure it's Power ignition wire
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:20pm
Anyone that thinks a trailer breakaway switch will not cause a fire when it has tripped should connect both wires of the switch to a good 12V battery, then a rag on the switch and pull the trip. The dead short will set the rag on fire quickly.  If you had a tractor breakaway from the sled and were pinned in the cage unconscious, would you want you wiring harness getting hot enough to burn things?   A trailer switch should ONLY!!! be used for Magneto ignitions.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:31pm
I used a two wire extension cord and spliced it into my power wire to the coil. The plug has to be in as mentioned above to complete the circuit. Once it is pulled, power is interrupted to the coil.   Simple fix. This is used on my Allis 716 garden tractor puller. Guys do use the trailer breakaway switches, but they wire a fuse into is so the fuse blows first, then no fire. HTH.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:11pm
i use a break away switch.  its normally open so when pulled it closes the circuit and grounds the coil, thus no spark.  this is on antique so no cages or speed for that matter.  my ignition system is also on a fuse.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
I have one of those switches I bought on Internet for 10 bucks. Do u ground the positive side of coil? I have a pertronix set up in disributor it wont damage that will it or anything else. How do u wire it. Does black wire go to ground and red to positive side of coil
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:53am
on that battery ignition you want to distrupt the power (break the power supply to the coil ) not short it out,     grounding it out is for magnetos ,  i would go with the extension cord ends so that the ignition wire size  can be kept up.       atv water craft tether swithes are not very reliable after they get pulled a few times but know some last better than others
pabob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pabob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:23pm
Safe way to use trailer brake switch is to wire an ice cube relay in the circuit.   When the break away is pulled it energizes the relay and the NC contacts(which you wire your ignition thru) open and shuts down your tractor. No shorting and no fuse to replace before you can restart tractor.
Shorting a distributor ignition, especially an electronic one is asking for trouble.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:58am
use of relay is good idea
pabob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pabob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:09am
Thanks Mike,   I have used both the extension cord/plug and a breakaway switch.    Like the clean looks of the break away switch and relay even though it goes against my normal adherence to the KISS method on most things.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:35am
i agree that cutting the power is the best method.  the way I went is very simple, clean and lightweight and most likely to never be used at 3mph anyway, and worked with the switch i had on hand.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
EricSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:21pm
I used one but added a cheap automotive relay with NC contacts so when the switch is pulled and the relays energized it opens the contact killing the ignition.
EricSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:22pm
Missed this was stated sorry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic