This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Remove AC 185 Hood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGatha185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Remove AC 185 Hood
    Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:55pm
Hey guys. I need to get the fuel tank off my Allis 185 to clean it out. It keeps plugging up the fuel lines. My tractor has a full cab, though. It'd be easy without the cab, but will this hood slide out from under that cab when I unbolt it? If it won't, what's the trick to getting it out?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:27pm
On most cabs the hood will lift hi enough to clear filler neck then slide forward.    MACK

McGatha185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGatha185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:38pm
Whoo, ok, I got that hood off. I guess mine's the exception. It was down too close it seems. I'm glad the hood had some spring in it. 

Now the next question. The cab is over the fuel tank. With the engine so close in front of it, and the cab so close over the top, will it lift out or twist out? It looks like I'll need to cut a chunk out of the cab to get it out but I know this can't be right?
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 10:45pm
Step back, take a look at it again, sleep on it. If need be, unbolt the cab and raise it up enough to remove tank. Don't notch or cut anything. You will appreciate it later! HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:55am
I'm with Tracy on this. Undo some bolts and raise front of cab if needed. Some cabs where made with a big hinge on the back to allow the front to be raised. I think hiniker made them. Not sure I ever saw one on a 185 but I have on 190-220 and International tractors.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:28am
holy smokes please dont cut or bend on the sheet metal.    probley some other things need to be done while the cab is lifted any ways.     we use a vaccumm pot to suck down fuel and gas tanks until there dry just like useing a shop vac,      then take the air blower and blow around to stir up what you might have missed then suck around the bottom agian.  the lines and fittings is probley were the most restrictions is
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:46am
I've been fighting a similar problem with Dad's 185. Yesterday I pulled the sediment bowl off and cleaned it thoroughly. I screwed one from a wd in to stop the fuel flow while cleaning with brake clean and compressed air. The amount of crap that came out of the neck was amazing. I also let a fair amount of fuel run to clear the line. Reassembled and runs like a top. If the problem comes back I will pull the tank for a serious cleaning but hoping this will take care of the problem.   
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
I would first try to cyphin or syfin(I can't spell) out the diesel. Put the tractor on a slope and get one corner lower than the rest. Tie or tape a rod against a hose so you can make sure the hose stays in the low corner. Put a valve on the other end of the hose so you can stop the flow without losing suck. As you start to lose suck, turn off the valve, and add more diesel, and repeat a time or two. It will come clean.

DO NOT USE A SHOP VAC ----- !!!BOOM!!! Today is a poor day for dying, and tomorrow doesn't look any better.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic