This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 25000MKII genset engine to truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 25000MKII genset engine to truck
    Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:03am
I got this home last night. The AC 25000 MKII engine has 860 hours on it. How many AC updates did this serial number receive or not receive? What all do I need to install this into a late 70s or early 80s Kenworth W900 - sae#1 bell housing, front engine mount, p-pump injection pump, different turbo, etc?  Thanks in advance.  

Edited by AC7060IL - 17 Feb 2017 at 11:36am
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:51am
Well first you've got to paint it purple!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:11pm
   Don't quote me on this but, it looks to me like it's pre 1974 cause that's when I became the inspector for the department that built the gen sets and other power units and there are a few things that are different. The reason I say that is it has the small luber finer bypass oil filter mounted on the front of the intercooler and I don't recall seeing those on the later units although it could have been an option. Check the option data plate that's on the block just above the oil pan rail. It lists all of the option/equipment groups that it was built with. Another item that makes me think it's an earlier unit is that the injection pump looks like a American Bosch pump and not a Robert Bosch pump that all of the latter 16000/25000 engines used.
   As to truck use check for the 12 counter weight crankshaft that was used in the earlier truck engines. That crank was American made and some of the gen set engines (latter ones all got the 6 weight Japanese cranks). Seen an awful lot of the latter truck engines with the 6 weight cranks come back under warranty with busted crankshafts. Another difference between engines was the oil pans. Externally they may look the same but, internally they are baffled differently also they used cast iron and aluminum depending on use; get set, bulldozer, truck etc. And while on the subject of oil pans the one that's on your unit looks a bit odd in that it has what looks to be a pipe plug in the side up high by the front. Maybe another indicator that it's an earlier unit.
  Its been quite awhile since I looked at those things on a daily basis.  

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:47pm
[Those bastards are heavy ain't they! I got one I'm putting in a Dodge Bighorn,, need a few heavier lifting devises! Does yours have the liquid cooled exhaust manifold?

Edited by DougG - 17 Feb 2017 at 5:48pm
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm
looks like its going to be an awesome project.

dan
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:30pm
Didn't they also have a lot of injector trouble at the start because of the variable RPM in truck use? But, once right they were a bear.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
To the OP; could you post a few more pictures? Such as the option build data plate and the other side of the unit.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:36am
Thank you all for your comments.
John(CO), Yes, it will be sharp looking painted Purple.
DougG, Yes, it is extremely heavy as a genset unit. I hired a semi-truck wrecker to boom it up onto my trailer. My AC706B forklift (6000 lb capacity) could lift up one end, pull it on it's skids, tilt it with it's forks, but would not lift it vertically. Serious weight!
Acdiesel, Yes, I'm very excited for this project to be going forward.
LeonR2013, I'll need to research the injectors further. I'm assuming much of it's fuel system is limited base on the genset's constant run application??
ACjack, Here are the photos you requested.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:42am
This is the fuel injection pump ID tag.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:44am
This is the Oil Pan's decal.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:45am
This is a photo of it's right side. 

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:00am
DougG, I don't think it has an exhaust manifold cooling, but I'm still learning - so please advise. It's coolant housing comes up from it's water pump and runs back the right side of the engine block just under the exhaust manifold. I take it that it is plumbed into the side of the engine block only (sleeve/pistion part of block)? Maybe it is plumbed into the heads??  I'll need to examine it closer. Maybe you can tell from photos?  It also is plumbed into the oil cooler. 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:33am
Wow, neat project going on here! I love it. Darrel
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:54am
Here is my AC706B forklift, set to try and lift it vertically - RIGHT. Man, was I dreaming.
Prior to transport, I tried to research online the weight of the genset unit. There is not much info available for this older stuff. I did find some pdf of Onan/Allis 516 or 685 weighing around 5100 lbs dated 1979, and then Onan/Cummins 855 weighing 6100lbs dated in the 1980s. Anyway, I finally phoned Gateway Industrial (the company that initially sold it) and they could not put their hands on specs sheet because of it's age. Said they'd have to search archives. They told me the Onan generator is a 250KW level and to figure maybe 12,000 lbs. I think thats high cause my AC706B would probably not been able to lift one end much less drag it across the rock lot on its skids. 
The seller of the genset was impressed that my AC706B had a hydraulic safe limit so it would not lift something bigger than it could stabilize. Hats off to AC for doing a great job building safety into it's equipment. 

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Thank you all for your comments.
John(CO), Yes, it will be sharp looking painted Purple.
DougG, Yes, it is extremely heavy as a genset unit. I hired a semi-truck wrecker to boom it up onto my trailer. My AC706B forklift (6000 lb capacity) could lift up one end, pull it on it's skids, tilt it with it's forks, but would not lift it vertically. Serious weight!
Acdiesel, Yes, I'm very excited for this project to be going forward.
LeonR2013, I'll need to research the injectors further. I'm assuming much of it's fuel system is limited base on the genset's constant run application??
ACjack, Here are the photos you requested.

If you where to look up those catalog numbers in a AC catalog they would list every part and part number for each item that was used to make up that particular group. Such as the 4388698 rad core guard. 
   We had a master catalog that was at least 8 ft long and in it was every part used in every thing that was currently built. Using that catalog I could look up every part no matter how big or small that went into each group number and what group numbers where used to make up each and every engine. 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:44am
When I worked at an implement dealership, there were two 706 Bs for use around the lot and in the shop. Never have seen anything as used and abused as those two forklifts, and still hold together and do what was asked of them. Tough built units. Darrel
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:46am

This is the fuel injection pump ID tag.
Can't see the name on the pump but, I'm sure it's an American Bosch.

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:50am

This is the Oil Pan's decal.

This is another indicator that what you have is an earlier one. You just may have a cast iron pan and the 12 counter weight crankshaft Clap Take a magnet to it and see if it sticks.

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:55am

This is a photo of it's right side. 

Another sign of it being an earlier unit is the older style water conditioner mount on the lower center. The water heater is not a OEM from Harvey. You don't have the water cooled exhaust manifold, what you have is the standard manifold.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:25pm
ACjack - Yes, a magnet sticks to the oil pan. Would any of the catalog numbers on the Order ID tag tell if it has the 12 weight crankshaft? 
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:15pm

ACjack - Yes, a magnet sticks to the oil pan. Would any of the catalog numbers on the Order ID tag tell if it has the 12 weight crankshaft? 

Yes, and here's how we'd go about getting the crankshaft part number in the master catalog that I mentioned. 1st we'd look up  the catalog number for the engine (4390848); and on that page it would list the group numbers for all of the sub assemblies that make up the 4390848 engine assembly. We'd then take the group number for the crankshaft assembly and then go to that page and on that page you'd find a list for all of the parts that make up the crankshaft assembly "IE" part numbers for the bearings, any plugs, dowel pins, gears and the part number for the crankshaft. It wouldn't give you a description of the crankshaft. although at the time they were only using 2 kinds of crankshafts, the 12 counter weigh US made crank and the 6 counter weight Japanese crank. If my memory is correct the 6 weight crank went into the lower HP engines 16,000-21000 series and at some point  (later build) I believe the 25000 series gen sets also got the 6 weight cranks.
    The catalog and group numbers were all listed consecutively so it was possible to move several feet either right or left along that 8 foot "book" to find the info that you needed. Computers, who needs themBig smile 

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:19pm
I believe, but not sure, that when we were looking to buy a couple of new trucks with this engine they told us dry weight was 3460# or somewhere in that neighborhood. And I think a 350 Cummins was around 2800. Quite a bit of difference.
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:05pm
AC7060, 
What was this used to power when needed? A hospital? 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:30am
Your biggest problem will be bellhousing/flywheel which are for industrial app not truck. The SAE truck bell housing would be tough to locate.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Jim Hancock Jim Hancock wrote:

AC7060, 
What was this used to power when needed? A hospital? 

Hospital
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 3:50pm
I had 2- 25000 motors and am still have a couple pieces like a turbo,fuel pump and more
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Your biggest problem will be bellhousing/flywheel which are for industrial app not truck. The SAE truck bell housing would be tough to locate.
I hear you - thanks. I want to try anyway. Do you have any knowledge you'd share?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic