This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unstyled WC paint scheme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by jpessek jpessek wrote:

The 1938 WC Brochure still shows them with black rims:

If the "color enhanced" photo is correct, they also had a black hand crank, radiator, and steering wheel grip. Not saying it's wrong, but I've never seen one like that. 
Sponsored Links

jpessek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpessek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:33pm
Fair enough,  but all the other pics in the brochure show black as well:

EDIT: 37 was still black judging by the mecum auction original paint wc:

Edited by jpessek - 20 Feb 2017 at 12:50pm
www.allischalmersarchive.com
Your Source Of Free Vintage Allis Chalmers Brochures Available For Downloading
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 1:51pm

Just trying to digest the information and figure out what to believe....in the first pic, the wheels and fender are the same shade of gray, leading me to believe they are the same color? Anyone else have this feeling? I agree, it kinda looks black, but so does the fender, steering column, etc. 
In the 2nd photo....I thought the 37s came with dish rims on the rear, like in the first pic, not spokes like the earlier ones.

Again, I'm not arguing or being disrespectful, I'm just trying to weigh things out and interpret them the best I can. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by oldorangeiron oldorangeiron wrote:

ALL SPOKE WHEELS WERE BLACK ...they were provided by French and Hecht. Allis bought them with tires already installed. The U, UC, WF, and WC tractor wheels were always black..until they went to cast centers. ANYTHING SPOKE WAS BLACK WHEN NEW. (very early WC were Green)
P.O. #1 for entire remainder of tractor

They were NOT ALL black. Some were green and most were black from F&H. However, Allis painted spoke rims Orange, at least some of them.
 When I got my 35 WC from the neighbor, who was the original owner, I found orange paint on the inside of the rear wheel hubs. The tractor had NEVER been repainted.
 Some tractors came from the DEALER with black spoke wheels because Black was the color F&H painted them. Tractors from West Allis were painted Orange.
 If a dealer had a steel wheeled tractor on the lot and a buyer wanted  rubber tires, the F&H rims could have been shipped to the dealer from F&H and be Black.
 I would venture to say any change of wheels at the dealer  would have put Black rims on the tractor.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
jpessek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpessek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Tractors from West Allis were painted Orange.
 If a dealer had a steel wheeled tractor on the lot and a buyer wanted  rubber tires, the F&H rims could have been shipped to the dealer from F&H and be Black.
 I would venture to say any change of wheels at the dealer  would have put Black rims on the tractor.

Maybe some rims from West Allis were orange, (heck I've seen pictures of the early styled WC's with black rims) (I also have one of the WC's that had the green rims....) but I'm guessing most unstyleds were black.  Here's an old ad with a pic of 48 WC's being driven from the factory and the rims are black.

jpessek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpessek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Just trying to digest the information and figure out what to believe....in the first pic, the wheels and fender are the same shade of gray, leading me to believe they are the same color? Anyone else have this feeling? I agree, it kinda looks black, but so does the fender, steering column, etc. 
In the 2nd photo....I thought the 37s came with dish rims on the rear, like in the first pic, not spokes like the earlier ones.

Again, I'm not arguing or being disrespectful, I'm just trying to weigh things out and interpret them the best I can. 

Yeah after I posted that pic I figured out it wasn't the best one to use....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 7:19am
All untouched, unstyled WC tractors used black.(with the exception of early GREEN wheeled tractors) Orange would have been ordered replacement stock that the DEALER painted to upgrade a steel wheeled tractor. Assembly line tractors were BLACK wheels, provided by F&H. In the case of Charlie Tuckers tractor, I would assume the orange he found on the back of the hub was due to installing a BLACK wheel on wet ORANGE paint at the factory!!

Edited by oldorangeiron - 21 Feb 2017 at 7:20am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by oldorangeiron oldorangeiron wrote:

In the case of Charlie Tuckers tractor, I would assume the orange he found on the back of the hub was due to installing a BLACK wheel on wet ORANGE paint at the factory!!

NOPE, the whole inside of the hub was Orange, even places where it could not have touched anything. When I cleaned it up, there was evidence of Black underneath which would have been original F&H paint.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:11am
Here's a picture of an original 17" WC front with remnants of F&H green.

jpessek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpessek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
Hard to see in my pic but mine matches that one, my serial number is 970:

ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 2:10pm

Nice picture.  Is that the typical HC111 hub?
AndrewGubbels View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewGubbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:39am
Hello guys this is a very good post I have learned alot! My dad brothers and I really search hard for nice clean original tractors and have seen the wc's a few different ways. We have a 37 with the pressed steel and they seem to be black along with the front 6 bolt rims or round spokes. They have been black on most tractors. We do have a very clean original 37 and it has the smaller steering wheel like they had and it is all orange. We also have a 38 model with cast centers and they are orange with galvanized rims and it has black 6 bolt rs in the front. I will see if I can post a photo of our 37 and 38. Not sure if this helps but I know that these haven't had any paint!

Great post
Andy

Andrew Gubbels
Gubbels Restoration
AndrewGubbels View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewGubbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:54am
Here is a one my brother james had and it had 28 inch rear spokes. And the big hub 5 bolt fronts. The fronts were very rusty but I do believe they had black paint but so hard to tell there was literally no paint it seemed left on them. I do know I have seen some 5 bolt hubs on an original 37 wc and they were orange.

Andy

Andrew Gubbels
Gubbels Restoration
jpessek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpessek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by ecclap ecclap wrote:

Nice picture.  Is that the typical HC111 hub?

Yep HC111, I definatly need to have them re rimmed though, what's a good place to have that done?

ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:11pm
Contact Detwilers in Wisconsin.  If you are on Facebook, Pat Detwiler is the guy that does the wheel repair or I can find his email address for you.  Last time I looked into it, the 17" fronts were a little pricey to repair because Coker tire is the only place to buy rim blanks in that size.  Pat Detwiler can make the wheels look just like they came from the factory.  He can even take ones that have been cutdown to 16" back to the correct 17" rims.
Kyle(MN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:05pm
Picture from the day my Grandpa brought home a new WC and combine in July of 1938. To me, its clear the rims are black, with orange bolts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic