This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shear pin questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shear pin questions?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:12pm
I'm running a 87 inch snowblower and have been shearing a lot of PTO shear bolts but the bolts have been shearing because of drifted snow.  What I have been using is no grade bolts as shear pins and they are ok for snow but a little light on the drifts.  So what I wanted to find a little stronger bolt like a grade 3 but no one has them up here.  So it's either a non grade mark (which no one knows what grade they are 0,1,or2) or a grade 5. I have been using the grade 5 now with no problems. I am  being easy on her but I'm concerned about the gear  box .  What grades are you all using as shear pins.  Has anyone ever ever had a gear box    broken before a grade 5 bolt sheared to save it?  I'm just picking your brains to save me some trouble .   I have been blowing snow for 20 years and I think I got into a soft batch of bolts but there is no way to check them for what they are. thanks for your time and ideas.
Sponsored Links

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:18pm
I've never seen a grade 3 bolt. Normally an unmarked bolt is Grade 2. 3 marks on the head is Grade 5; 6 marks are Grade 8.   (Not to be confused with metric designation of 8.8).
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
I used to think the same thing until I started looking up all the different bolt specs.  There are a dozen or so of unmarked bolts have a large range of specs. But normally an unmarked bolt using sae standard is a grade 1,2or 4.  So you just don't know.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 3:44pm
Image result for bolt head grade markings

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 3:47pm
Image result for bolt head grade markings

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 4:21pm
None of these markings id the shear point on these bolts because there isn't one.  It is thought to be about 60% of the tensile.  My question is what are others using and has anyone trashed there gear box using grade 5 bolts for shear bolts. There are a lot of bolt makers and not all are  SAE specs. So no making don't tell you much and it's not important normally.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 6:00pm
Snowblowers are generally a little more forgiving, than a bush hog, or tiller.  As long as you set them up above rocks, I'd go a grade harder, or drill the hole a size bigger.  I've got a bush hog, on the kuboter, that has had a grade 8 bolt in it for about 5 years, but most of the areas I mow with it, I know well...Wink
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:26pm
That the kind of info I was looking for.  Your using a grade 8 without breaking but I wandering if your lucky or just good. Have you ever used grade 5? You  didn't but grade 8 in because you were breaking grade 5 bolts did you? 

In a way I was hoping I would break a grade 5 so I know there was some kind of protection on my gear box.  But I'm trying not to push it that far.  I know what it takes to break the ones I have now so I sort of stop when I get there.  I think the last batch of bolts I bought were weaker than the one I had before. I must of bought them years ago.  With no markings there is no way to tell what they are and who made them to what specs.    Thanks for your info.

bill     
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:03am
I found my answer.  I heard back from the company they said for as far back as anyone can remember they tell you to use 10mm grade 8.8.  So at least in this case I can use the grade 5 and feel safe.  I have been using 3/8 so when I break these I can try a 10 mm it is a little bigger.  Thanks for your input.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 2:14pm
I always used grade 5 shear bolts. The key is to have a proper diameter fit and keep them tight with a lock washer or lock nut.   On the roller mills that I sell and rent, we have to use lock nuts on the PTO shear bolts or they work loose and shear.

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 10 Feb 2017 at 2:15pm
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic