This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Structures Allis 620

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Structures Allis 620
    Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 6:45am
I think Allen is dead on with AC painting over the Nasty Green Onan color. Just starting to get my CCKB engine back together. I'll have to take a few pics of it as it goes back together. Got the new front tires for it and mounted them up at work at lunchtime. Tossed them back on to get it rolling again. I wanted to have this project up and running before the cold weather sets in. Want to use the loader for snow removal and around the property next season. Got the subframe for the loader bolted to the bottom of the Tractor also. Its gettin' there, but not quick enough. To darn busy with my full time job and our business. And with the rain we were getting for a while, the mowing never ends! LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Sponsored Links

macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:07pm
My 620 has the original engine, and shows green inside shroud paint as well.  
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 7:44am
Mine has a plain black steering wheel center cap. Can I get an Allis Chalmers logo one, for cheap?

Look at how high that seat is, look at the 2.5" clearance to the hump in transmission cover. Only about 1/4" clearance on mine. I gave up
trying to remove the cover, after I scratched it. How many different seats are on these things.

Something looks different with the air cleaner.

I have a good belly mower and front clutch. BUT I would rather use
the Woods RM59CO cat 0 3pt mower. The belly mower is in the way
for tractor like operations (plowing,disking etc.). Yikes, cost of
clutch, crankshaft and mower. I think the Onan was used in a
Sears Suburban model. I don't know about that crankshaft end.
Ask an Onan expert if they ever seen that, perhaps an Ebay seller.

Does AGCO sell parts for the 620. I notice they do not have a parts manual online. Can a genuine AGCO dealer see the parts book?

Did anyone on this forum work at Simplicity when they made these
tractors? Have any stories to tell?

If I had the time talent and money and wanted a big project,this is how I would re-do the 620-
Different engine 3cy diesel or gas.
Larger gas tank. Fuel gage on dash.
Foot operated hydrostat controls.
Bigger better transmission oil cooler.
Tractor like 3pt lift operating lever with position control.
Power steering like on the JD318.
Two remotes up front for snow blade.
540 rpm PTO- I think this would be a toughie. 3.7 times lower RPM=3.7 times greater torque and loading forces. Looking at the parts book pictures I see a drive shaft with gear driving an idler gear driving the pto shaft. I have no sense of space available in there for new gearing arrangement. Does anyone think this is a possibility?

What was the price of a 1975 720 with rear PTO and 60" mower?

WD45Diesel57 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 9:55pm
My CCKB motor out of my 620 also has that nasty lime green under tin work, I'm thinking that color is a factory onan color and Allis just repainted them
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:10pm
Talk about Green paint. My 620 had a Lime Green paint on the inside of a couple of the engine cover shields. They were Black on the outside, but Lime Green on the inside of a couple. Nasty lookin' color..   
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 9:06am
that extra hole would be a 3 postion switch for if you had an electric chute on a snow blower
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 7:46am
Appreciate your guys help.  I think it is a generator engine or a cck engine?  Not sure.  There's no markings on it, but some of the black paint has scratched off and it appears to be that onan green color.  Guess it's been re-powered.  Here's some more pics.

I couldn't make the last digits of the sn out.  30426475?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 6:52am
my generator engine has the full crank shaft, but it is a cckb.  I have a ccka crank (original, not-machined) available if you wanted to purchase it.

David
fasstman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasstman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 4:40pm
Is the engine out of a generator? I think they had short tapered shafts.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm
Anyone know what is supposed to go in the hole to the left of the front
PTO switch? I have seen pictures of a switch in there, what does it control.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 1:15pm
Somebody previously put an oil pressure gauge at the top.  It's not hooked up though.  I figured the front shaft was shorter because it used a clutch style pulley.  That battery is actually turned sideways is why it looks so big.  It's one of those new little lawn mower batteries.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:40pm
sam e place i mounted my oil presure gauge
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:36pm
Nice lookin' unit! Dave & Dan are right, what's up wit' the short crank? Hmmmm... wonder if that was machined off. Looks to clean of a cut to be homemade to be done in the chassis. Strange. As Dan mentioned, that's gonna be tough to run a snowblower, loader, or plow off the front with that short crankshaft. Might have to improvise when the time comes, but still a nice unit. Good luck with it.......
Steve@B&B
Dan (SE MI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan (SE MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:59am
I think that must be an engine, or at least a crank, from another application.  The crank should extend well into the area currently occupied by the battery.  That rectangular opening in the frame below the battery is for the belt to pass through from the front PTO.  The electric clutch pulley would be centered above that.  That will be problematic for running a snowblower or mower deck.  I have a 616 with a loader and it uses the front PTO for the loader pump as well.  I'm sure with some creativity you could run the loader pump off the rear PTO if need be.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:50am
What is that extra gauge in the dash?  Not the ammeter...

Looks like a decent unit.  It appears someone removed the front clutch to fit that extra large battery on there.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:54am
Missing the front clutch, for the mower deck, or snowblower.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:19am
something doesn't look right about the front of the crankshaft, looks short to me
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:51pm
Hi.  This posted on craigslist a couple months ago locally.  I wanted an Allis 620/720 style tractor the first time I saw a picture of one.  I like how rugged and durable they look.  So I couldn't resist to go check it out.  I was really surprised how large these machines are.  1500 lbs and 48" wide.  Pictures don't do justice.  I went out checked it over, drove it around and offered what I wanted to give.  Unfortunately he wasn't ready to let it go at that price.  I waited it out for a month or 2.  Monday I put my original offer in again and we were able to make a deal.  It's had a touch-up paint job.  It's not bad.  I've seen this on occasion, mask off the decals and I guess rattle can?  Looks to me like it's had some rigging over the years under the hood.  It's missing the front PTO but has the switch.  Hour meter reads 135.  I'd like to get a front end loader and mower deck for it someday.  Any advice and critiquing you guys want to provide would be appreciated.  I don't know a whole lot about the 620.  Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic