This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Side Draft Carb Performance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side Draft Carb Performance?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 12:29pm

This carb is off a 410 Massey Combine and its a Marvel Schebler (Two Barrel Side Draft) used to fuel the 292 chev engines in the 410 combines. I would think these carbs would perform well on a 226 or 262 for pulling. The linkage swithes easily and the adapter off the combine from the carb to the manifold lets you flip it over and bolt it up to the intake. I am thinking of trying this on my 262 WD-45 versus using the old Zenith up draft ( any thougths or advise out there would be apprciated!)

Sponsored Links

Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 6:57pm
Has anyone used one of these carbs or knows anything about them..they must have produced some good air and fuel mixture for a chev 292. Not sure what kind of cfm this carb would produce.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 8:57pm
You could guess on the maximum flow that 292 might produce. Say figure 4000 rpm, takes two revolutions to ingest a theoretical 292 cubic inches. So you ingest (with no flow losses which isn't a possible condition) 2000 x 292 or 584,000 cubic inches per minute. There are 1728 cubic inches to the cubic foot so that's about 340 cfm.

I'd like three to put on the three siamezed ports on my gas 4020 and to have a vacuum advance port to improve its part throttle fuel economy. Get rid of that yard long intake manifold condensing gas on the way to the end cylinders too.

Gerald J.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 9:02pm
At how many hg of mercury you suppose it would take to flow 340 cfm on that carb in the pic .
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 9:15pm
Probably no less than 30" Hg vacuum with a 15 psi boost on the air cleaner side.

Gerald J.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 9:41pm
wow i dont think that would run my weedeater. I was thinking 1.5to 5 "hg
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 11:30pm
So Mitch, are you saying this carb is better or worse than the big old Zenith Carb that came on the 262 combine engine? I was hoping it might be an improvement.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 2:32am
Realistically, its probably more like a 250 cfm carburetor anyway.

Gerald J.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 2:49am
It doesn't hurt to try it.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:42am

Yes I think its worth a try..it's a more modern type of carb and I like the fact it's a side draft and a two barrel.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:53am
Jim I dont know what it will flow . I do know that modern sized down drafts are figured at 1.5 and the old up drafts were figured at 5 "hg .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic