This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

modern roto-baler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by ibexowner ibexowner wrote:

Can you post a link to the lower cost balers that will work on a compact tractor, i assume they weight less than 1,000 lbs ?

That lower cost baler plus a used WD or D17 might still cost less than $5000 combined.
Sponsored Links

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 9:54am
Where are you located? Is shipping that much of an issue for the equipment others have suggested? Just trying to figure out how to reconcile these things based on what I'm reading here.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:42am
Seems to not know the history of the Roto baler, I suppose it's possible but not likely for an AC enthusiasts.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:16pm
Allis roto balers use BINDER TWINE. Not baler twine. BINDER twine. My Dad bought one new in 1948 when he got out of the army and used it for nearly 50 years. Baler twine will give you fits. I've handled a few.....
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
ibexowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibexowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:15pm
virginia
well shipping is freight so you can expect to see up to a tractor trailer arrive, shipping weight is much more than actual due to crating. you can easily see $500 for this $750 for that. the only reason you dont see these at the dealer is you are picking up there and their  destination charges are already marked into the retail pricing, at 200% of cost o more. best way to get an idea is ti use internet shopping carts, load equipment, and see what they add on for shipping and go from there in your shopping around

Edited by ibexowner - 06 Sep 2019 at 3:16pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm
Northern Va is not all that far from me. I have quite a bit of experience hauling Roto-Balers. The Roto-Baler I have available needs nothing but a field of properly raked hay and a tractor to run it. 
  From what I read, his Boomer tractor is the beginning of IBEXowner's problems. those R4 tires are not for traction but for longer wear in industrial use. Also those Wimpy little yuppie tractors have power but no a$$. Even a cheap WD hooked to a Roto-Baler would have cut the cost of his investment considerably. Who wants to have to be constantly be playing with a smart phone to operate a baler.  A nice working Roto-Baler is a joy to run and watch. I believe that he is trying to justify to himself for the outrages expenditure he has made supporting Chinese industry.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:52pm
Where at in Northern VA I'm right down the road,I'd like to see this thing in action.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 5:30pm
Boomer tractors are manufactured by LS Tractor in South Korea and imported by LS-New Holland.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ibexowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibexowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:42pm
lol every forum i have ever been on has ONE OF THESE GUYS, he is that guy, even though, you shouldn't be that guy.
By the way, old timers, IOT, internet of things, it's where it's at, of course, you may not have understood bitcoin facebook google etc, IoT is where the moneys at.

House west of dc, near front royal, nearer to woodstock va, baling more next week.
ibexowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibexowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:47pm
by the way, love the boomer, we have done so much with it, built ponds, regraded stuff, about 1100 hours on it and it has never been a problem, tires ? what ? lol, oh my.

i bale with the old ford 2110, a japan tractor, man that thing runs and runs.

justify my expensive purchase ? lol

lets look at t he financials, prior to haying the property we mowed it like a golf course, for that we use a dixie chopper, that was $10,000 plus the cost of operation etc, then we bought a second dixie chopper fuel injected springer front end, $13,000

with them we can mow about 12 mph on rough ground and keep the entire property mowed weekly in about 5 hours. then we started haying instead and stopped most of the mowing.

$23,000 for quality fast mowers, and i am trying to justify spending $11,000 for 4 pieces of farm equipment ? what ?

lol man, there is always one.
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I agree Hubert. I can't see a lot of moisture resistance because if rain soaks the first 3 or 4 inches you lose a fair percentage of the bale

With an AC Roto Baler if the bales are baled as large as they can go and baled very tight
they'll keep real well out in the field,and when baling that tight it'll make a WD45
snort a little when the bale is close to being finished.
yes sir...very weather resistant...now they must be turned a 1/4 turn or so after a hard rain and the sun comes out, but they will stay nice for awhile outside
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by ibexowner ibexowner wrote:

lol every forum i have ever been on has ONE OF THESE GUYS, he is that guy, even though, you shouldn't be that guy.
By the way, old timers, IOT, internet of things, it's where it's at, of course, you may not have understood bitcoin facebook google etc, IoT is where the moneys at.

House west of dc, near front royal, nearer to woodstock va, baling more next week.
I have to agree with you. I have probably put up more little round bales than anyone on this forum. used to do 15000 a year. I'm still doing putting them up. I have been around and operating roto balers for 40 years. I love them...but they are what they are....old and most of them are wore out. Between the neighbor and I we have 6 to keep 2 running. I am super conservative guy, but I see no issues with someone making that investment on a new small baler if he plans on using it for several years. I get a kick out of these guys who want to criticize its actually quite strange why they feel motivated to do so
ibexowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibexowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:19pm
well, the guys here are tame compared to what i had to put up with on the honda insight fourm when i converted my gas electric hybrid from the 120 d cell flashlight batteries honda used to the 20 cells prius uses, oh my god you would think i was planning to kill the pope, and i did the conversion, and its leeps and bound better

same as the heavy equipment forum when i bought a case 580b basket case backhoe and rebuilt ir from the ground up including and in frame rebuild of the diesel, which i had never done before, runs great, that forums experts greeted me with hope it grinds itself to death we love the sound of metal on metal

yep, no idea whats wrong with some of these denizens of the internet, and i dont care. i got too much to do :)P
ibexowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibexowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:20pm
got in 300 more bales, gonna cut again on the 16th, might not rain for 6 days, that will be the last of it. probably another 300 bales, winter hay :)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:17am
$5 says ibexowner is some sort of: marketer, importer, dealer, employee.....cleverly discussing his ibex with us.  Any takers?Wink
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

$5 says ibexowner is some sort of: marketer, importer, dealer, employee.....cleverly discussing his ibex with us.  Any takers?Wink
could be.  I thought the same thing myself after watching the videos.  Seems very impractical to me but to each his own.  With the windrows we do here,  you would put out a bale every 10 ft with that little guy.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:42pm
Never argue with an ibex...Wink

[TUBE]TugslL45aXk[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:22pm
OK, I have a question... If rotobalers are so good, yet parts dang hard to find, WHY isn't someone making and selling parts for them ? Really ,with today's tech , I can tka e afew photos..import to PC, PC to CNC , and presto ..out pops the part. press x2 and two more magically appear. While I may have simplified the proceedure ,  my friend does exactly that in wood( easier and cleaner) not steel.
Hek, if you've got a good working one, ship it to China, they'll 'reverse engineer' it in a week, you'll have brand new roto-balers by Xmas !
Just saying IF the demand was there......

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, I have a question... If rotobalers are so good, yet parts dang hard to find, WHY isn't someone making and selling parts for them ? Really ,with today's tech , I can tka e afew photos..import to PC, PC to CNC , and presto ..out pops the part. press x2 and two more magically appear. While I may have simplified the proceedure ,  my friend does exactly that in wood( easier and cleaner) not steel.
Hek, if you've got a good working one, ship it to China, they'll 'reverse engineer' it in a week, you'll have brand new roto-balers by Xmas !

Jay

Jay,
I do that with steel.
Just today I popped out the part for a local feed mill, to replace one on their 50+ year old corn cracker.
Picture of new part.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Jay
Because in the grand scheme of things, the demand ISN'T there. You're talking to a few handfuls of enthusiasts here.  Vast majority of people who are actually farming to make money are not going to fart around with little bales of any shape and all the labor requirements that go with it.  Big rounds or big squares, 150+ HP tractors, cover 100 acres+ a day, that's the demand.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:36pm
Roto baler might have been a innovative idea at its time but certainly crude by today’s standards. Like many of Allis’s ideas maybe too far ahead of its time.

My mottto is until I can afford a good over the edge net wrap I’ll much sooner hire it out. My custom baler is running a $60,000 plus Krone.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 3:27pm
I always wondered why Allis never built a Large Round Baler.I heard once that Allis was spooked because of all the lawsuits from the small roto baler.Accidents and such.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 5:40pm
Actually, in Swinford's book, he mentions that AC was toying with the idea of a large round baler, made by Hawk-Bilt.  tests proved less than satisfactory, it was a ground driven baler, that rolled up a loose bale, if at all...Wink

Imagine something like this, only ground driven...Wink

[TUBE]OVOyr0RqeU0[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 14 Sep 2019 at 5:44pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 2:43pm
Everyone knows about the online bitcoin exchanger, but not everyone realizes that there are also offline versions. Those that work online allow you to change one type of cryptocurrency for another or fiat with a subsequent transfer to a bank card / electronic wallet. Guys, which method is better to choose to change usd to btc? What method do you use and what advice would you give to a beginner? Thank you all in advance for your advice. You will help me a lot.

Edited by fioolsk - 16 Nov 2020 at 1:38pm
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 3:26pm
Back in the 70's I put up 6000 allis round bales a year. We used barge wagons and had a loader that picked them off the ground and lifted into the wagon . Put 122 bales on each wagon. Stacked most either in the barn loft or the machine shed. Yes we used an allis elevator to get them up into the loft. Out side the barn two rows of deader posts 50 f apart to be the stack ends uaually 1000 bales outside. The roto baler made great bales but they required a lot of hard labor. Squares were just easier to handle they stacked Better but you really need to cover them outside or they soak all the way thru. We use nothing but large rounds now 6x5 bales rolled tight their about 2000 lbs. and require a much larger unit to handle them but no manual labor involved. We can carry 48 bales at a time and leave a loader in the field and use a pay loader at the farm. That would be 1600 square bales. We get alfalfa in squares for the calving shed stack of 200 on the bale handler and I have to restack them to get in the building
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Actually, in Swinford's book, he mentions that AC was toying with the idea of a large round baler, made by Hawk-Bilt.  tests proved less than satisfactory, it was a ground driven baler, that rolled up a loose bale, if at all...Wink

Imagine something like this, only ground driven...Wink

[TUBE]OVOyr0RqeU0[/TUBE]

Probably a good thing AC didn't partner with Hawk-bilt, they would have went broke sooner. 

First round baler I ever saw in these parts was a Hawk-bilt. At the time, everybody around here were all still putting up small squares. I was just a kid and we had 10 ac of hay that got wet so many times it was rotting in the field. We just wanted to get it out of the feild, and a guy down the road had just bought him this new round baler. We had him come bale it, just so we could move it out. The thing rolled the bale on the gound, and I would call it more of a wadded up pile than a round bale. I don't think it even had a way to put twine on. 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 10:32pm
Dang it girl!! If my eyes don’t deceive me, she looked barefoot.
If gonna venture a guess here; when it comes time for nighty-night, and they are engaged in some ‘adult activities’, he better make damn sure she ‘gets to the mountain top’, or she’ll beat the crap out of him.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:19am
Originally posted by WDJim WDJim wrote:

can roto baler twine be found I am about out. getting desperate. text me at 308-340-6405 thanks

The binder twine they use is available. We have a big Amish community near us. They use binder twine in their corn harvesters and reapers. 

If you can't find any, let me know and I will try to find out where the Amish get it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic