This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake pin from hell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mrbill69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbill69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake pin from hell
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:10am
I'm a happy man today for the first time in a week. I finall got the brake pin out of my 59 D-17 After trying almost every method I've ever read about. Already had a piece torched out if the middle of it so spent about 3 hours drilling all the way through it ( about 3-1/2 inches). Put a 7/16 bolt in the hole, still wouldn't drive through. Ended up using my torch to cut it out, got through it most of the way, put a 3/4 bolt in there and it finally drove on through. Toughest one I ever had. Spent most of a week off and on on that one. Piece inside wiggled out with a long pair of needle nosed pliers.  
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:19am
It's nice to see you smile after a week of 'fun'.Hopefully no whacked fingers,burned skin or any of those other 'war wounds' associated with doing 'simple' tasks , like removing one lousy, stinkin pin ....!!!! btdt lol
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Mrbill69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbill69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 1:01pm
Other than a couple little holes burned into my shoulder and a skinned knuckle I'm intact.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 1:13pm
Want to come on over and do mine?
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

It's nice to see you smile after a week of 'fun'.Hopefully no whacked fingers,burned skin or any of those other 'war wounds' associated with doing 'simple' tasks , like removing one lousy, stinkin pin ....!!!! btdt lol

Aw, common Jay, ya' gotta' have skin in the game! LOL
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:37pm
My cousin was helping me work on a WD a year ago, using an EZ out bit, to remove a broken bolt from the frame rail. The EZ bit snapped, and with the momentum, he sliced his finger really good on the broken bit. That's puttin skin in the game Lou! haha
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:54pm
I have sometimes wondered if it would be wise to use a Grade 8 bolt with a
very long shank to replace the brake pin.

Then for the next removal you would have the head of the bolt to use a socket on.

Of course use lots of Anti-sieze

Gary
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
Don,
My favorite one (now, not then!), I was half sitting, half on my back with breaker bar aided by the obligatory length of 1 1/2 " pipe, feet braced against frame rail pulling toward me with everything I had when offending stuck bolt snapped. Pipe instantly smacked me between the eyes, with my very own knuckles giving me a fat lip, AND, I rolled back hitting my head on the bull gear casting giving me a good knot on the head.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Don,
My favorite one (now, not then!), I was half sitting, half on my back with breaker bar aided by the obligatory length of 1 1/2 " pipe, feet braced against frame rail pulling toward me with everything I had when offending stuck bolt snapped. Pipe instantly smacked me between the eyes, with my very own knuckles giving me a fat lip, AND, I rolled back hitting my head on the bull gear casting giving me a good knot on the head.

Well that hit on the head explains everything for me....Wink

I have my Dads WD45, he was passionate about greasing up everything...so I never have experienced the "joy" of the pin....

Edited by TomYaz - 30 Jan 2012 at 3:32pm
If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 3:58pm
Yep Tom, that ol stuff called grease has saved many-a-knuckle.....
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:01pm
i woulda loved to watch that!!!...oooops...sorry lou!
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:11pm
It's a good man that can laugh at his own mis-fortunes.....
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:12pm
My best probably was setting the stripper plates on a CII  corn head to pick male rows in our seed corn field. 12" cresent wrench, length of pipe as a persuader, both feet on frame under the corn head, good "bite" on the lock nut, torque applied, body inches off the ground applying more torque when the nut came loose instanter. Body dropped to ground, wrench came off nut, end of 12" cresent stopped forward motion on upper lip! I lay there trying to determine if a broken tooth was in my mouth before I swallowed it. Next day I could look at condition of upper lip without using a mirror, no problemo!  Still have a small scar after 40 years. Always kinda figured a little sweat and/or blood made for a job well done!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
Ya, that is a good one Lou! Ouch!

Watched my dad one time, working on grandpas haybine. Gramps had one of those old heavy metal electric drills, with a loose cord.

One of those hot, sticky summer days, the kind were you sweat just standing still. You guessed it, dad is hunched over with that drill, about mid-section on that haybine.

POW! he flew backwards, and the drill went the other way! Sucker shorted out! Never will forget that!

Fortunetly so far, I have not had any major incidents. Just occasional burn, or bruise. I am sure my day is comin though! lol

In all fairness, we gotta be cautious and careful, but sometimes whatever we are working on, fights back!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic