This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whatcha do for an achin back?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whatcha do for an achin back?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 4:29pm
My lil cupcake has had a bad back for the last 2 days now. She works full time as a salon beautician, so she is on her feet for hours on end. End of the day her feet normally are tired and hurt. But the last 2 days her back has been real sore. Heating pad has been on and still not 100%. She does use a floor mat at work and I encourage her to use the best shoes she can.

What else works for a home remedy for achin backs?

Thanks!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
Occasionally cupcake turns out to be the magic word in these cases.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:06pm
when was the last vacation or at very least a Total day off to where you feel guilty for not doing a damn thing cept eatin? My wife and I have started doing that about once a month and it pays off.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:23pm
I got a chiropractor for that.There are good,bad as with everything.Some can fix you while others don't seem to have the right approach.Some  people say they are all a joke. That has not been my experience. Guarantee they all have their own method to treat the same thing. Have dealt with 5.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 6:50pm
I can't afford a back cracker, so I bought a teter inversion table off'n craig's list. Best $80 I ever spent!Wink
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 7:45pm
Hot soaking bath with 1/2 + cup of Epsom salts....and if needed, Unkers or 'Old Goat' applied. 
   Maybe find a place that gives really good messages.
 An if that don't fix it, then go see a good chiro that checks you out from head to foot and knows how to set hands and feet too... even set the jaw bones if needed. Hate them quacks that are oney grubbers... that ask you to specify just the worst area that hurts and then they look at you and hardly do nothing and asks you to come back 90 times more... When you should have walked out the first time standing straight.

DD, I got one of them, and helps some but not as much as I had hoped it would. Unhappy
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
Don, like John says - a complete day or more off. If it is a touch of arthritis a product called Two Old Goats gives some relief. If mine is sore muscles I use Absorbine veterinary linement gel. Never been to a bone cracker, some people like them and other people say the ones they have been to are quacks. Get her family physician to suggest some back exercises and stretches also.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 8:57pm
Don. I've been fighting this for 40 years. Not much you can do at home. Been going to the same chiropractor for 30+ years. He has kept me going all this time. If I have surgery they will open me up from top to bottom, might think about a 10's unit. It will not cure anything but it will block the nerves from sending pain signels to the brain, thus allowing her mussels to relax and perhaps allowing things to get back to normal.   I have 1 that I use when I get to the place where can't walk because of the pain.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 9:10pm
Helps to get things checked out,good chiropractor can be great. Some not so much help. If things are out of place, the longer they are out the more time healing will take. One or 2 times moved wrong and instant pain,got to the bone cracker within 24 hours and almost instant relive. To only be smart when young and not try to move big things that you will regret the rest of your life.

But sometimes stress and worry or what every, mussels just get tight, then rest/time and heat/cold  to relax mussels is all that is needed.  All doctors and chiropractors recommend cold packs on the back as well as the heat. But hot is always easier for me to take than the cold is. Good luck,no fun to hurt.  
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 3:12pm
I wear my shoes to the out side and when they get to worn I am a stead at the chiropractor tills I get new shoes or put the old ones on the belt sander.
Tom
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 3:32pm
I have had issues for years, about 40 + or -.  After about 5 chiropractors, I found a good one!  Took about 4 weeks of 2 times a week, then on a monthly visit but what a difference it has made for me. I still get the pain from day to day, with the work that I do, but I am about 90% better than before!!Smile
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:09pm
I believe wholeheartedly in good chiropractors,  some are in it to separate you from your money.  A good massage from big cupcake can do wonders too.  I always wondered if an inversion table would help.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:27pm
4 Ibuprofen twice a day as needed...... don't FIX anything, but kills the pain until you get rested up.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 7:44pm
I'm with Steve on that. Only adding in some back stretching, sitting in a chair and try to put your head between your legs a few times every now and again..kind of a warm up.
Nothing worse than just standing all day. That kills me more than anything. Inactivity does too.

I had a disc removed when I was 27 from being a young guy thinking I was invincible and back problems were BS. I was promptly corrected. Never really had any problems since but that is when I was started on Ibuprofen. It was 1000mg when needed, horse pills.
Took a year to get back to normal but also took care of how I did things.
Never had anymore problems really.

Dehydration causes a lot of muscle and body aches. I'm bad for not drinking enough water and I feel it. You may not think you are but you may well be. Lack of vitamin D can cause that too.

Edited by fixer1958 - 09 Apr 2018 at 7:45pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:52pm
agree with Fixer, also a lack of potassium will add pain/discomfort. since i'm already on high powered pain killers, I use them. I have cut the dosage down by 1/2 so far and got along.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:04pm
Thanks guys. Sweetie is doing better. She only had 1/2 day of work today and went home early. She is getting better but taking awhile. Sounds like a chiropractor trip could be in the works next couple days if no more improvements are made. Shes been doing the hot/cold corn bag on the back. She is a tough cookie
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:42pm
Massage then Chiropractor,excersise when feeling well. I used to take Ibuprofen but now take Ginger and Tumeric along with Guchlosimine and Chondroitin. Don't have much pain anymore from back or Arthritis. I also lost 40 lbs as I was becoming a disgusting fat body from not eating right!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 3:37am
I have also used the "salonpas" tape on pain areas.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:19am
When mine hurts enough I have to stop working, I take a couple Alieve, a shot of Crown Royal and use my T.E.N.S. unit.  I have a pretty powerful one, RS-4i plus.  I crank it up until it puts out enough electricity to kill an electric eel.  I feel no pain for the rest of the day!  Can't feel much of anything else either.... LOL  Concrete floors is what kicks off my pain, those mats don't help me much if any.

Good luck, back pain sux. 
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:55am
My wife was on her feet a lot as a nurse. A few years ago I bought her an inversion board and she loves it ! Gets on it before bed and after getting up. Also if she wakes up at night with her back hurting she'll get on it. She even falls asleep on it upside down sometimes.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 10:22am
+1 on the Chiropractor, HOWEVER, DO the stretches they prescribe, don't just go there for the visit itself!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

4 Ibuprofen twice a day as needed...... don't FIX anything, but kills the pain until you get rested up.
Not bad advice, but one caveat.  I've seen a lot of talk of acid reflux on here.  Ibuprofen will aggravate that condition. 

Tylenol is easier on your stomach, HOWEVER, if'n' you like an alcoholic drink from time to time, as I do, it's best to stay away from Tylenol, as it's a killer on you liver, the combination worse than the sum of the parts.

Stretches and strengthening are key.  Walking is a wonderful thing, walk some, do stretches, walk some more. 
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 3:14pm
Ibuprofen is also hard on the kidneys
Tom
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:53pm
Stake her out over an anthill in the desert. It worked for the Apaches.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Stake her out over an anthill in the desert. It worked for the Apaches.
Gees dude, what's going on here?  First you say cupcake is the magic word, now we're staking her out over an anthill in the desert!  What gives?
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:03am
Some doubt that fire ants and desert sun would relieve aches and pains or at least make one think so for awhile?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:08am
No, no doubt about it.  Just not sure that's the kind of help he was looking for.  Of course he called her "cupcake" first, so maybe it is the kind of help he was looking for.

IDK, and no matter, I didn't mean to nor want to get into anything over it, that's for sure.  Just that, I've seen my Dad knock a full size cow to her knees with a punch to the nose, and seen my Dad dropped to his knees by back pain. I don't think it's a toughness issue, or a laughing matter for those that are really struggling with it.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:05am
That's not how I would milk a cow.  LOL
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
Don,
just two more suggestions, if they have not been made already.
1. Have her drink lots of water. It really does help my back...no sugar drinks, not caffene
2. My neighbor has a very bad back, been trying for serveral years to get relief. Just recently he found a special belt (I don't know which one). He wears that belt and has helped him.
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:17am
John F Kennedy always claimed Sex was the best exercise for a bad back!Opps maybe this post belongs in the Politics section !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic