This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd and 4 bottom plow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Auntwayne Auntwayne wrote:

I have been wanting to get a four bottom s/c for one of our WDs for some time, I think Ryan is tired of me showing him for sale ads every week. The three bottom just isn.t big enough.
What has been done to that WD?!
Sponsored Links

deereequipment1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 7:14pm
some of the AC plows can be unbolted, to make either 14"
or 16". You could just drop one bottom off, make it a 3, see how it does.
If it won't pull it, then drop another one, make it a 2 bottom.
YOu might have to adjust the adjusting arm that goes down the center of the plow (shorten it up), depending on where it mounts.
If you get it, post some pics.

Raised on a CA,WD,D10 & D15.

Now, proudly own and pull a WD45 high crop, WD45, WC,
also own a D-10, D-12, G and a CA.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 7:24pm

I may have to rethink this deal, it may be a bad idea. I dont want to wreck my WD, I love it more than a man should...Trev.

Chris WI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:48pm
I have a 4-14 snap coupler plow, and a buddy has a WD, at one of the plow days I have he asked if he could try plowing.  The only extra plow I had was my 4-14.  I didn't think a WD could pull it, but I stopped and thought about it.  The plow is the same vintage as a WD, and the WD was the biggest tractor Allis made at the time, so we gave it a try.  the tractor really had no problem pulling it, I was very amazed! The only thing that could have been a problem, was when you would pull the plow out of the ground the front end would get very light, but my 4-14 has the rear lift assist wheel.  When the rear wheel would raise the front would stay on the ground without any weights!  Without the rear wheel I don't think it would have worked.  I think the guys that are saying it is all in the set up of the plow are on to something!
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 10:07pm
Used to pull a 4-14 fully mounted with a narrow front WD45, no front weights,  The trick was to snap the throttle shut just as the front came up at the end.  Oh, and leave a wide head land.  LOL
I have also pulled 4-14 in black gumbo with a WD45 gas.  Low gear and when I got below 6" I was done, but so was an 8030 FWA with 5-16's
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 7:32am
I pulled a 2x16 mounted plow with my WD easily in 2nd gear at 8 or 9" deep with absolutely no wheel weights or fluid. It was good black soil with a mixture of blue clay. Could go half throttle without a problem. Had to go half throttle to be slow enough so not to pass the JD A ahead of me. I think you'd be better off with a 3 bottom. My uncle used to plow with 3x16 behind his WD all the time pretty easily but in hard ground you'd not want another bottom. I see the old promotional films with a WD pulling a 3 bottom with no added weight or fluid. Pretty nice not to have to worry about fluid. Also plow with a D17 and fully mounted 4x14 in 2nd gear low range pretty nicely in that same blue clay alfalfa sod with a lot of people scratching their heads wondering how it handles it so fine while the 720s and 880s can hardly pull a 3x16 in the same ground. 

While I've been rambling here I got the solution! Buy the 4 bottom. Now you go looking for a D17. Later get a 2 or 3 bottom for the WD. Problem solved.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:33pm
I WILL GO ALONG WITH CWHIT,BUY IT CHEAP,REMOVE ONE OF THE BOTTOMS AND GET IT ADJUSTED CORRECTLY...A 4 BOTTOM PLOW ON A WD IS ABUSE TO THE TRACTOR.BACK ON THE FARMS IN INDIANA WE HAD 3 MOUNTED PLOWS.IN THE RIVER BOTTOMS IT WAS FINE.THE RICH BLACK GUMBO REALLY MADE THEM SNORT...
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:18pm

Went to the auction today, it was a International Plow Chief. Being that it is too big for the WD, worn out and an IH, I walked away. I'll look for an Allis 3 bottom for the WD. Thanks for all your replies, TREV.

D-allis Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:32pm
I was practally raised on a WD and in no way would I attempt to use a 4 bottom with a WD on our soils. Go a little faster and don't work the tractor with a 2 or 3 bottom plow and you will get more acres plowed. I have a 4 bottom monoframe plow and if you could hook it up I think it would lift the front of the tractor off the ground. I have lighter plows also and I could pull them to the field with the WD. The WD is a great tractor but in my opinion it was not designed for a 4 plow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic