This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 Dead Pedal...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 Dead Pedal...
    Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:15am
Yesterday just at dark I jumped on my D-14 NF mowing tractor to move it back to the shed and when I pushed the clutch pedal down prior to turning the key it felt weak.....  a second push confirmed no resistance.    Linkage outside the torque tube is good, spring not broken and rod working with the pedal.    

Today I am going to see if the rod somehow let go from the release bearing fork or worse.  If I recall correctly doesn't the linkage rod screw into the fork for the release bearing...  sure feels like the rod has zero resistance but I guess the fork could be pivoting perhaps without any resistance if the release bearing gave up or separated somehow.   I recall the pivot for the fork MAY have a cotter pin somewhere?      Too many different color tractors and I may have it confused.

Got it started in gear with low throttle and SLOWLY made it to the shed.   Later this afternoon or this evening I should be able to get a look.   Any experience with a D-14 doing the same thing?       

Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:30am
I would guess the throw out bearing went out and cut fingers off  pressure plate.    MACK
NV4500 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV4500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm
I had a similar thing happen to my D17IV except I was moving when it happened. I was pulling into my parking spot and pushed the pedal only to have it go all of the way down. In my case, the pivot block that the clutch rod screws into had slipped out of the release lever. There is a bolt and a nut that puts tension on the "ears" of that pivot block and the nut backed off allowing the block to pop out. I did the repair through the inspection hole on the bottom of the housing.
1965 D17 Series IV
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:40pm
I am hoping for a similar outcome and the ability to work in the inspection hole. If not, a new clutch might as well..... Rain kept me from getting after it this evening. Thanks for the responses.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:11am
Before you put it all back together...be SURE the release arm is on the TRANNY side of a big casting 'nub' and NOT on the ENGINE side !!!
I'm thinking the 'nub' is to keep arm/rod form going too far in ?
Yeah, I found out the hard way....only took 2 of us another 30 minutes to resplit, put it in the correct location, and 'tighten' things back up .

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:26am
yep, that casting nub is a stop. 
Guess what happens if you push too far past that nub on a B?

that's right, over center and now you got no clutch!
Nearly killed myself with that one.
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:33am
Duly noted and thanks for the heads up!
NV4500 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV4500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:44pm
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114540

If by chance we have the same issue, the above is the link where I reported the fix, findings and frustrations. I hope it can help someone!

Edited by NV4500 - 10 Jun 2016 at 3:48pm
1965 D17 Series IV
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 3:54pm
Mack, you were close.....  the throw out bearing froze up and while it did not take out the levers from the clutch assembly all the way, it ate them up a bit until they no longer had enough metal left to contact the bearing resulting in no contact.  

Funny thing is the clutch disc is like new.  I have owned and mowed with this tractor for 3 years.  My guess is either the bearing was not replaced or it was a Asia junk piece.  It seized bad enough to actually spin the cast sleeve on the fork 90 degrees.  Only the fact the fork was indexed between the casting nubs kept it situated properly.

NV4500..that link did not take me anywhere.  Might be me but it would not open.

Time to get Rick in MO. working again!
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 4:30pm

After your new stuff is in ,check free play on bearing every once in while . Clutch needed adjusted and spun the release bearing all the time .That will burn the grease out of them.
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic