This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Running Hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealvar2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Running Hot
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:54pm
I have a D15 Series II. Within the last few years, I have had the radiator professionally repaired and replaced the water pump. My temperature gauge is brand new.

When running the tractor by itself, the temperature stays within an acceptable range. Recently, I started using the tractor to pull some choppers. When pulling the choppers, the temperature increases rapidly and I have to shut it down.

Since everything else was relatively new or updated, I thought it might be the thermostat. After removing the thermostat housing, I discovered that there was no thermostat. I had bought one online before starting the job, but the thermostat I bought appears to be to small.   It will actually fall in the hole on the engine. Nothing else came with the thermostat.

I read a similar post on this forum where someone else discovered there was no thermostat. Why no thermostat? Is this contributing to the overheating problem? What does the correct thermostat look like? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:09pm

Howdy,
Almost sounds like you are over working the D15?  45 HP.  What kind of choppers?

Kurzy
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:12pm
It is a small thermostat, it sits in place on a gasket (see the AGCO parts book website).  A 180 degree thermostat would be best to use.
Some tractor owners have been known to do strange things.  Removing the thermostat is one of them.  I was always under the assumption that removing the T stat would cause the engine to run cold. Can't explain why it would be hot.
You said the rad was professionally repaired, but was it cleaned and boiled out at the same time?
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
ealvar2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealvar2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:34pm
I don't know the type of choppers but it is two rows long (if that makes sense). I can't recall if the radiator was boiled out or not. I had brought it in to repair a leak so I don't know if they had to do that or not.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm
They can run hot without a thermostat, because the coolant circulates too fast through radiator to take the heat out of coolant.   MACK
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:19pm
timing can be an issue on the G160  too fast or slow will affect temp
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:00am
if the timing is correct and you get a thermostat in there and it still runs hot, then it is kind of a crap shoot.

May be time to have a flow test done on the rad.

Just a thought, I bought a used rad for mime and good thing the shop did a flow test on it before working on it. They said it was way below spec and that got me my money back.

good luck
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 5:11am
If its a 2 row chopper, it might be too big of a load...
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:07am
Mack is 100% correct. Removing the thermostat will actually make the engine run hotter. Why? The thermostat is in the system to slow the coolant down, so as it passes through the Radiator, it gives the fan & radiator the chance to do their job which is to cool down that hot coolant before it returns to the engine block. Removing the thermostat increases the heat because as Mack mentioned, the coolant will move way to fast through the Radiator for the Radiator and the fan to do their job in keeping things cool. Hot in and hot out doesn't make cool. It makes the coolant HOTTER. In some applications, a 195 thermostat works better than a 180 because it slows the coolant down even more in order for the Radiator to do its job. The Radiator is a heat exchanger. The slower the coolant through it, the better the cooling. Of coarse, like anything else, the Radiator, fan, and fan belt need to be in tip top shape for everything to work at peak performance. That also includes the water pump also... HTH
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 09 Jun 2016 at 8:09am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:59am
D-15 gassers use a rubber band for a fan belt. It must be in newish condition AND T-I-G-H-T or the fan/water pump won't be up to speed at full throttle. I never use an OEM fan belt. I've always outsourced a slightly wider belt that stands up higher in the groove, and works great on old worn pulleys, and doesn't slip at full throttle..
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:08am
Like the guys are saying you need to run a thermostat to keep the engine cool, now if the thermostat will not open then you can break the center out of it put it back in just to run the tractor to get the job you are doing and then get a new one and install it, but don't just knock the center out and run the tractor that way it will not control the temp right in all weather.   
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

ealvar2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealvar2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:47am
To make sure I understand. There is a gasket that sits on top of the engine block where the hole is for the thermostat housing cover. The thermostat sits on top of the gasket. And because the gasket is smaller than the hole in the engine block, the gasket keeps the thermostat from falling in the hole in the engine block. Then, the thermostat housing covers all of that?

I am confused because if I do that, it would appear that the thermostat is lower on the system than both the bypass hose and the upper radiator hose. That would mean that when the thermostat opens, hot coolant would flow into both the bypass hose and the upper radiator hose. Seems like I'm missing something.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

timing can be an issue on the G160  too fast or slow will affect temp
Second on the timing issue! Saves head gasket too! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:42pm
Increased flow = increased turbulence = increased cooling.
Low coolant flow = decreased turbulence = laminar flow thru the rad which means only the coolant next to the tube wall is cooled. Higher coolant flow is always better.
cheers,
Creek
(35 years designing and testing engine cooling systems)
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:21pm
Test your new thermostat with a cooking thermometer and hot water to be sure it opens correctly. Don't use that cooking thermometer for cooking after that, antifreeze remains are unhealthy to ingest.

Then be sure the fins on the water pump impeller are still there. When they rust off or the impeller splits (usually a press fit on the shaft) water won't get moved. If the pump is pumping good, the radiator top tank level can rise a little with the engine running fast.

Gerald J.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:37pm
Dad had a d.14 that ran hot an a can of S T P fixed it .
AMB(wcIL) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB(wcIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:41pm
How many blades are on the fan? We have 3 D15's 2 have 4 blade fans and 1 has a 5 blade fan. Didn't they put 5 blade fans on D14's to help cool them down? Andy
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by AMB(wcIL) AMB(wcIL) wrote:

How many blades are on the fan? We have 3 D15's 2 have 4 blade fans and 1 has a 5 blade fan. Didn't they put 5 blade fans on D14's to help cool them down? Andy

Nope. Both of my D14s have 4 blade and every D15 I have seen has the 4 blade fan as well.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
Is it true the thermostat's flange diameter is smaller than the hole in the cylinder head?
The picture in the parts books is nice, but you can't tell sizes, what slips over what.
And since we know it has been buggered with (no thermostat) the poster has a right to be concerned. What if they sent him the wrong thermostat, what if the cover gasket
is wrong or homemade.

I think the function of the bypass hose is to bypass the thermostat with some coolant.
If we called it the thermostat bypass hose I don't think you would now be worried on that point.

Is it possible that the lower radiator hose is collapsing from the suction? On large cars they put a support spring in that hose, but I don't see that so much on the short small tractor hoses.

Get an original or copy of the Allis-Chalmers service manual. I have them for all my stuff.
ealvar2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealvar2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:58pm
My D15 is also a four blade.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:13pm
I am trying to remember when I changed the thermostat on my D15 years ago, it definitely was smaller and I did assemble it according to the parts book.  I just cannot remember the sequence that I did it in.  The small size did scare me in the beginning too!

Edited by DSeries4 - 09 Jun 2016 at 9:14pm
ealvar2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealvar2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:15pm
This is what I received. Does this look right to everyone. I believe the gasket is wrong since it has two bolt holes and my thermostat cover using four bolts. But is this how the thermostat generally sits?

By the way, without the gasket, the thermostat falls into the hole on the engine block. So the gasket itself is supporting the thermostat.

Tractor_2.png

Tractor_3.png

Edited by ealvar2 - 09 Jun 2016 at 9:18pm
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:55pm
All the theory is correct, however I have pulled the guts out of several fork kifts,  abd D15's on grain augers. Some had thermostats some did not.  IF the Radiator is clean, he fan / alt belt is not squalling, the timing is right and the carb is not set too lean, they do not run hot.  Ge the unit hot and shut it off then recrank, if it 'kicks back' it is timed too fast. IF it  does not have a slight resistance advance a tad at a time till it does then back off a degree or two. Too much advance and kickback  will break the nose off the starter - beware.    Now open the throttle to high idle, screw in on the main load jet til ti starts to lower the rpm, then back out on the main load screw till it smooths out  then add a half turn more,   I also always check for fuel flow by backing out the main load screw more and watching for black smoke indicating a rich condition.  If you can't do this you are not getting enough fuel.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:56pm
Yep, just get the proper gasket.  I think the top part of the stat housing has an indentation for the thermostat to get centered in.  
ealvar2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealvar2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:17am
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have some work to do. I will let everyone know if the thermostat turns out to be the issue.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:18am
Just to mention the thermostat actually has 3 pieces the outer ring,the center which is the actual thermostat and the rubber gasket that goes against the head.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:44am
My dads D/14 was an eailer 57 and they did a upgrade on it . Changed fan to five blade , put chain on snap coupler release,push button on switch , filler cap on lift and maybe more.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 8:32am

MY D15 Series II LPG had a 5 blade. The D14 Industrial I now have also has a 5 blade. The series II did have a thermostst that I replaced. Since the head was missing on the D14, I can't say for sure but I bet it did have a thermostst when new,,,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic