This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All-Crop Miter Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All-Crop Miter Gear
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 7:52pm

Was back looking at a quote to make miter gears used in the allcrop grain unloading auger assembly

They spec'ed it as

"18T-5P-14.5PA" Cast Iron Miter

To get a $129 ea price I need to buy 48 of them.

I consistently sell about 4 per year. Hard to justify an outlay of 6K for parts that will take over 10 yrs to sell.

Can anyone match up that spec to something off the shelf close? I read some stock gear catalogs on line and it was greek to me. Maybe somebody who knows about them can shed some light?

If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Sponsored Links

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:21pm
Ok so 5P I think means 5 Pitch 14.5PA is 14.5 Pressure Angel, 18T = 18 teeth.

Anyone know of any off the shelf like that?
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:41pm

Is the gear that it mates to the same or does it have a different number of teeth?
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:43pm
both gears the same. Miter gear.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:41pm
I guess I don't understand what a Miter Gear is. Elaborate, please!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:54pm
A miter gear is one that sets at a angle to the other. Most times 90 degree  to each other, but not always.    MACK
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:59pm
Oh, so the ones at the bottom of the unloading auger then?
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:02pm
any grinder mixers have them?
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:32pm

The number of teeth, pressure angle etc wouldn't need to be duplicated IF you could determine the pitch diameter and duplicate that.  Then sell the gears in sets.

http://www.linngear.com/part-type/miter/
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 5:25am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

A miter gear is one that sets at a angle to the other. Most times 90 degreeĀ  to each other, but not always.    MACK

From google:

Miter gears are a special type of bevel gear designed to operate in pairs with identical numbers of teeth and diametral pitches, and a 1:1 ratio.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 5:29am
Originally posted by SHAMELESS SHAMELESS wrote:

any grinder mixers have them?

I'm sure they are used all over the place...wish I could find one that is used on a modern piece of equipment and buy a bunch.

On a related issue...sickle guards...cant depend on finding used forever. To make new forged ones would cost 10-14K in tooling alone according to a US manufacturer I talked to...lets see, I sell a dozen or so a year....nope that wont pan out...Anyone find a guard that worked?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic