This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing Gleaner Tattletales

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing Gleaner Tattletales
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:48am
A friend of mine has two late style M2s and a green stripe L3. The tattletales work in the L3, but in the M2s many of them light up all the time. How does one go about fixing that? The tattletales in our L3 have always worked, so I've never done this procedure before. 
Thanks
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:00am
chasing wires and changing sensors Cry
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:06am
Ok. I thought I heard one time that you can adjust the sensor on the shaft somehow. Something like if they get out of adjustment they can read faulty?
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:10am
Set the sensors to the shaft at a clearance about the thickness of a business card. Most likely the wires have been eaten through by mice or a broken wire somewhere.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:35am
Our mechanic is a former AC mechanic. He has unit that can test the actual tattletale unit after taking it out of the console. We had to replace one of them and a relay or two in the unload auger in/out that we had to replace. But most of the time it's the sensor or wire.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 12:04pm
make sure they are clean

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:47pm
if the lights are on all the time....duct tape works well!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:59pm
now now shameless.... its a gleaner not a red one....they are supposed to work.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 2:45pm
usually its a sensor issue.

Its a good idea to remove them from the upper console to discourage mouse activity though, and at this time you can inspect them for wiring damage.

Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:47pm
So if it is the sensors, where do you get those? Does Agco still sell them? Are all the shaft sensors the same? I know some are different, such as the Bin Capacity monitor and Auger in/out. What about things for the engine/drive train, such as air filter, hydraulic oil temp, water temp, coolant level, park brake, fuel restriction, trans lube pressure, etc?  
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:00pm
Cal...all mine work on the red combines, but that BIG red light was a pain to see on while combining at night on the Gleaners! don't know why it was on, as the combine did it's job flawlessly for years, and I kept forgetting to unplug that danged light, so that's where the duct tape came in! now....them little round alarms are a different story on the red machines! and it takes about 3 layers of duct tape to quiet that bugger down! lol 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:02pm
That big red light you speak of, on a G I'm assuming, is for the rock trap door I think. 
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:11pm
Sometimes the modules themselves go bad. There is a place that tests and repairs them. I can't remember the name though
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:17pm
ag express  electronics ..google it
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 6:03am
Completely Clean all the grain from combine at end of each season. After that, set peanut butter baited mouse trap in cab and check daily. It usually take 3-4 weeks to kill off most harboring mice. Unchecked, they will turn your combine's tattletale cab console module into a mouse motel. They'll chew up every plastic coated wire.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:43am
We've been lucky with our L3! Never had a mouse problem. We keep a small block of mouse poison in the cab during the off-seasons. That seems to do the trick. We clean it out pretty good also.
Not sure what this guy does. I've been around his combines once, many years ago, and I don't remember much about them, other than he left the separator running all the time and throttled it down. (shiver)
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

other than he left the separator running all the time and throttled it down. (shiver)
He's saving wear and tear on the clutch
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:33pm
[QUOTE=AC7060IL]Completely Clean all the grain from combine at end of each season. After that, set peanut butter baited mouse trap in cab and check daily. It usually take 3-4 weeks to kill off most harboring mice. Unchecked, they will turn your combine's tattletale cab console module into a mouse motel. They'll chew up every plastic coated wire. [/

We've tried all kinds of repellents but the peanut butter is  by far the most effective. Pulled all tattletales and put in plastic tote and set on steering wheel, and pulled out cab air filter and sealed it up. We also opened the heater/AC box to give them less room to hide. That's two dozen mice we'll never have to worry about again!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:27am
I have sprayed "frebreeze" in the cabs and down the holes and slots, also I place the sweetest selling wax melts down inside under the consoles, and that has worked for past 2 years of keeping them out! I also found on my red machiness, that if I take the panel off on the outside of the cab (console area) it leaves it all open, and they can't get out of the cold wind then, so they go elsewhere! (usually to my old camper) lol those wax melts (wally world .99 cents for 6) work really well, I now use them all over in parked cabs (tractors/combines/trucks/jeep), they are the combo cherry/?. and it'll smell good when you climb in the cab to go! I've prolly said this before, the wire companies use peanut oil in making the outter plastic for their wire coatings. and what does that draw?   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic