This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA overheating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA overheating
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 1:49pm
My dads CA over heated last time i ran it above about the 6th throttle notch, and not under much load, just mowing my yard, I stopped to check the mower deck (It kept making a banging noise but I got it fixed)  and i heard the coolant boiling, im thinking i need to atleast flush the coolant and maybe inspect the radiator, any other reasons for it to over heat?
Sponsored Links

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:05pm
Thermostat?
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by sparky sparky wrote:

Thermostat?

dont know why i didnt really think of that, i also need to get the temp gauge fixed (It reads zero no matter the temp)

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:14pm
It may or may not really be "overheating".. You will hear "snap / crackle/ pop as the hot water runs thru the system.... having some type of temp gauge would not hurt to know the actual temp.... Flushing is always a good idea.... Some of these tractors have thermostats and some have lost them over the years... Is possible that it failed partly open.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

It may or may not really be "overheating".. You will hear "snap / crackle/ pop as the hot water runs thru the system.... having some type of temp gauge would not hurt to know the actual temp.... Flushing is always a good idea.... Some of these tractors have thermostats and some have lost them over the years... Is possible that it failed partly open.

it was defiantly over heating, i could hear the coolant almost boiling over lol 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:25pm
Check radiator cap also... If you have a few pounds pressure cap ... then the boiling temp is 230- 240 F.... If the cap maintains no pressure, you can hear the water bubble and boiling is 212 F.   ...... Im not for or against a pressurized cap, just saying that it changes the boiling point... and must maintain some type of seal.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Check radiator cap also... If you have a few pounds pressure cap ... then the boiling temp is 230- 240 F.... If the cap maintains no pressure, you can hear the water bubble and boiling is 212 F.   ...... Im not for or against a pressurized cap, just saying that it changes the boiling point... and must maintain some type of seal.

will do
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:34pm
Anytime you shut a warmed up engine off, you could hear water boiling, because it isn't being circulated anymore.
 Do get a temp gauge, and it can't hurt to flush the rad.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Anytime you shut a warmed up engine off, you could hear water boiling, because it isn't being circulated anymore.
 Do get a temp gauge, and it can't hurt to flush the rad.

makes sense 
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:39pm
lets see if anyone reading this thread gets to this comment, (I didnt want to make a new thread although i feel like i will anyways) the final drive clutch seems to have a extremely snappy engagement, ive seen people using the hand clutch, and theirs seems to be able to slip, any ideas?

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 3:27pm
First,  I do not know the year of you CA only that it could be up to 70  years old.  The years they we made was from 1950 to 1957.  If you have a hand clutch this is still releasing and engaging you are extremely lucky.  Even new they "snapped"  It is necessary since the axle clutch has to hold a higher torque load.  
Let us know how it goes.  The CA was one of the best tractors I sold.   One of the very best plowing tractors A-C made.
As to your overheating, the CA was a rather "cool" running tractor.  The heat gauge hardly ever got to the green section.  Be sure to give it a careful and complete flush.  Over the years there could have been a lot of build up in the block.  
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 3:53pm
I think ours is either a 1952 or 53, id check the serial number on  the transmission, but its been painted so many times the numbers are filled in Unhappy
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:05pm
Some other things to consider as well.  

Did you check the radiator before you started mowing to know it was full?  Coolant should have been within an inch to an inch and a half below the cap seal flange.

Is the outside of the core clean?  When cool has the radiator been washed/flushed from fan side to the front with a water hose to wash the fins out?

Is the fan belt tight?

I have a CA and being snappy is the nature of the axle clutch.  you can ease it in if you work at it. 

It is common to have to scrape the paint off to see the serial number, then repaint after.

Edited by Jim.ME - 16 Oct 2020 at 4:08pm
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:15pm
radiator was full, fan belt seems ok, although we have never washed out the radiator fins, i might do that later, maybe tomorrow since i wont be busy

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:25pm
I have a CA and it's hand clutch is snappy in the lower gears with nothing heavy hitched to the tractor. It's pretty much the nature of the beast. Get a working temp gauge and be sure it's getting too hot before you get too worried about it as long as it's not boiling over.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:30pm
I've started double checking even new temp gauges with a non contact thermometer (temp gun), many are off calibration, at least the last few I've gotten.  Gives me an idea of how much they are high or low.
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

I've started double checking even new temp gauges with a non contact thermometer (temp gun), many are off calibration, at least the last few I've gotten.  Gives me an idea of how much they are high or low.

that is a smart idea
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

I have a CA and it's hand clutch is snappy in the lower gears with nothing heavy hitched to the tractor. It's pretty much the nature of the beast. Get a working temp gauge and be sure it's getting too hot before you get too worried about it as long as it's not boiling over.

I dont even think you could get ours moving without killing it using the hand clutch with it in anything other than first gear 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic