This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis U Continental/Flathead "business end" pic's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis U Continental/Flathead "business end" pic's?
    Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 9:12pm
Me again,
 Hey, I'd love to see some Rear View pictures of Early U's. I know what mine looks like but the tractor has been modified over the years and I don't know how it's "s'posed" to look.
All of the pictures I have found so far on the "intranet" and in books are Front Views. Details of the Seat Assembly, Shift Lever, Belt Pulley Lever, and Steering Wheel would REALLY be appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Salvaggio
'31 Allis Chalmers U 7143
'46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
*Other rusty old junk comes & goes without notice
Sponsored Links

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
One with orchard fenders.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
zootownjeepguy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 1:27pm
Okay, this is what I have. I reproduced the seat channel as close as I could to the original(?) worn-out channel that was on the tractor. The shift lever is also new but I need to cut it to the correct length and add the ball (once I find out what size ball should be on it). Both of these assemblies have been squirted with rattle can paint just to help keep them from rusting until I get around to restoring the tractor.

Is this what it's supposed to look like? I mean there is no "floor" and I don't see any signs of there ever being a floor on this tractor. I am also wondering if my seat assembly is correct? I would imagine that the channel and spring are right but I'm wondering about the extension between the seat and channel, looks like it could be home-made. I'm open to comments!

Thanks,
Rich

Edited by zootownjeepguy - 24 Apr 2011 at 6:46pm
Rich Salvaggio
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 7:15pm
Rich; Have you got any manuals for that tractor?  I have an original "Instructions and Parts list". for the early 'U" from U-1 and up.  I had reprints made and still have a lot of them here. If you want one let me know. 10 bucks to cover the cost of having them printed.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:02pm
Got some pics of the shift lever for you jeepguy. Just forgot to put them on. Be back in a few, soon as I upload.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:15pm

Here's what I got. Tractor is later model than yours. Ser#U14327. Not sure what difference that makes on the shifter. His measures approximately 15" tall from the horizontal slide bar to the bend, and approx. 8" from the bend up to the ball. Ball appears to be around 1 1/2" in diameter, and is plastic(or whatever they make those out of) He believes the threads for the ball are 3/8" coarse thread. May also be 1/2". I think either would work, depends on what you find for the ball. Hope this has been some help.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:36pm
Alberta Phil,
 I already have a reprint of the operators manual that I bought on "Fee-bay". The Original Continental U Parts Manual came with the tractor when I bought it but there are a couple pages missing.

Dream,
 Thanks for the pic's. I saw a couple late U's at the Maumee Winter tractor show in Fort Wayne and took some pictures. The "cockpit" of the later U's is very much different than mine. The later U's have a floor and different clutch, brake and steering than my early U.

Thanks guys!!

Rich
Rich Salvaggio
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:57pm
Yep, yours does look like quite a different machine than his. I think I like the closed cockpit design of the later U for cooler weather work, but the early U looks good. Has a meaner look to it.
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:57am
That seat and high steering assembly is correct on your tractor jeepguy.  I have the same set up on my continental U.  I also have a foot clutch and floor pan set up on mine that was on another one I bought for parts and I decided to use it because it looks so nice and clean.  That seat riser on yours is exactly what mine looks like, it was to raise the seat up more along with the longer steering shaft into the steering gear box.  Mine also has a tube around the steering shaft all the way from the bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the steering box.  I'll get some pictures for ya, when I have some time.
1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:22am
Here's some pictures I just took of mine out in the shop.  Don't mind the dust, been alot of activity out there this winter and I haven't had her out to get a spring clean up yet....lol  As for my shifter height, I just found a spot where it felt comfortable for me and made mine the appropriate height, I have no idea how long the original is supposed to be as I have never found any information in any of my manuals or parts lists showing the exact height.  I know the ones without the higher seat and steering column were lower, I just made mine a height that was as comfortable as possible from the higher seat.  My suggestion is that you do the same.

1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:14pm
Factory picture in my manual 
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:29pm
That picture shows the basic set up, which was what I was referring to above as the "shorter seat and steering column".  That's how I've seen most of them as being.  But, like mine, there are a few out there with a seat spacer, taller steering shaft and taller gear shift.
1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:14pm
Thanks guys,
 I think I'll keep the shifter at the current altitude and maybe add the ball later. Obviously my steering wheel is not correct and, unfortunately, it has been welded to the shaft (I'll end up machining a new steering shaft too). The steering tube appears to be two pieces on the tall steering version. I see that my tractor has the extension missing from the steering tube.

The people that I bought the tractor from have no information about what has been replaced or modified over the years. I mentioned that I made a new seat channel and they seemed disappointed  that I fixed "grandpa's old wobbly tractor seat". Well, sorry, it's mine now. My buttocks need a good stable home and I don't like driving a teeter totter.

I am currently fighting a fuel tank problem (see "Gas Tank Cleaning" post). Once I get the spooge and gack completely out of the tank I'll get back to some of the other issues. The front axle brace bar needs some attention too. I still plan on making new throttle & choke rods, spark plug wire tube and a new governor to carburetor link.

Thanks guys!

Edited by zootownjeepguy - 24 Apr 2011 at 7:29pm
Rich Salvaggio
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic