This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Throttle linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Throttle linkage
    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:45pm
I accidentally bumped the throttle linkage on my dads CA, its an aftermarket zenith carb, im scarred to start the tractor, in the first throttle notch it holds the lever on the carb at idle, second notch moves it forward about 1/8th inch, third notch the throttle lever on the carb is free to move idle to full throttle, anyone know how I can fix this, would like it to be fixed before my dad gets back from work (Either tomorrow night, or about a week from now, we dont know),  where the throttle lever connects on the right side of the engine (Next to distributor) its a little loose, but its been that way for the 4 years we have had the tractor, any ideas? ive already tightened up the linkage on the throttle, so it holds everything in idle at the first throttle notch, still loose tho, and I dont want to mess with a tractor I cant start to test just yet, and I dont know all what is the adjustments for this one anyways
Sponsored Links

Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:46pm
also, when I bumped the throttle lever on the carb, it made a pop, then went loose as if something broke, but I looked nothing broke, shouldnt be anything inside the carb, as it wouldnt have had anything to bind on and snap.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:13pm
Start it up. If it over reves, you can shut it off. Sounds like it in normal.             MACK
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
when I move the throttle control to the 3rd position, the lever on the carb is free to move from idle to wot, above the 3rd notch, it goes wot, Maybe it has something to do with the governor not being driven from the engine? might also need oil pressure, but ill see if I can check
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:29am
The governor more or less defaults to WOT by spring pressure until rpm's and spinning weights counteract the forces of the spring.  The throttle is adding more spring pressure that the weights have to overcome.  What you are describing sounds pretty normal with the engine OFF, unless I don't understand the question.
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:27am
idle on the controll holds carb at idle, fifth notch of throttle holds it at wot, in between the carb can do whatever it wants, ill fire it up and see if the governor spinning does anything, hope its fixed by the time dads home in a few hours lol
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:34am

Would this picture help?

Edited by Dick L - 18 Nov 2020 at 11:38am
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:37am
I can see better than the one ive got parked in my shed rn lol
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:54am
I can move the link at the carb (2nd pic) without it trying to move the throttle lever, if thats normal, I think itll be fine, but I dont know if its normal

Edited by Zinan - 18 Nov 2020 at 11:55am
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:26pm
That is normal!

See the spring in the first picture. That is where the movement from the other side stops without moving the throttle by the steering wheel. 

Edited by Dick L - 18 Nov 2020 at 4:30pm
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:32pm
oh ok, so about half throttle?   on ours right now (Without starting it) half throttle on the handle is holding the carb at wot, but I guess its just because the governor isnt functioning at the moment?
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:42am
hope its fine, because I might need it soon, we cut a tree down for milling, and now ive got a massive brush pile to deal with,    about a 130ft poplar, id say about 36 inches at the stump, made a nice thud
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:53am
Another way to think about it that might make sense...the throttle lever sets a desired engine speed at the governor, not the carburetor.  If the engine speed is lower than the set point of the hand lever, the governor opens the throttle butterfly in the carb.  If the engine speed is too fast, it closes it.

With the engine off, the actual speed (zero) is slower than the set point, so the governor is opening the throttle to try to increase speed.  It doesn't know the engine is off, it's just trying to get more fuel/air to it.  When you move the hand throttle, there is no direct connection to the carburetor (like a car accelerator pedal) other than through springs and weights, so it might feel confusing.   

Just start it up. 
Zinan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:14am
oh ok, thanks,   I had a rough idea of the way it works, but im not used to this exact setup, just lawnmowers and cars, so this is still new to me lol
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:35am
The third photo Dick L posted shows a rusty washer and a cotter pin holding this joint together. .
 Taken loose with the throtle control wide open and the rod to the carb full open the rod to the carb should be 1/16 inch short of going in the hole in the arm coming across the front of the engine. Adjust for the 1/16 inch by BENDING the arm  more or less to give you the correct 1/16th .
    This 1/16 inch is critical for the throttle lever to have the full RPM range from idle to wide open.
    Don't ask me why setting the linkage adjustment  by bending the arm works. 
    The anti surge spring must be of the correct strength and length to go from the hole in the rod to the carb and a manifold bolt also. 
    I'm no good at posting pics. Maybe Dick L can post pics of the spring and what a 1/16 inch short looks like.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 20 Nov 2020 at 5:45am
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:31pm
I think and worry about you all the time. Glad to see you post. I have to thank you for noticing that I have a rusty washer to keep from wearing the cotter key.Wink  Here is the picture you ask for.  I remembered where to find this one that was with the first ones I posted which took several minutes to find them. That shows my memory is better than even I expected. Dixie tells me I am absent minded in my old age. I tell here she is being silly as I don't remember being absent minded.Big smile

Edited by Dick L - 20 Nov 2020 at 5:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic