This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviving a 3416H

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviving a 3416H
    Posted: 08 May 2014 at 11:18pm
This winter, I picked up a 3416H from dawntreader74. I was looking for a 16 horse, hydro, with electric lift. He just happened to have one, with a mower deck, so I got yet another project. My plan is to build a solid snowblower tractor, I'm thinkin cab, heater, 42" blower with electric spout rotator and deflector, loaded tires, chains, work lights, and a charging system that can handle all this electrical equipment.

He said it was a solid tractor, but it hadn"t run in a few years. I noticed a couple problems right off the bat.

The terminal on the S/G is hitting the hood. I took it off and bench tested it, sure enough, it does not charge. That winding must have been fried from grounding on the hood. The belt was either too long or stretched, which is why it was hitting the hood.

So, the starter generator is all starter, no generator. Thats actually O.K. though, as I need to beef up the charging system anyways.

Heres a big problem, quite a bit of slop in the BGB.

But before I dig in there, I pulled the motor and carried it down in the basement so I could work where its warm.

This isn't the original motor, but its a Magnetron, so no points!

The welch plug fell out of the carb, so Macgiver must have stopped by and lent a hand on repairing it.

Tore the engine down far enough to put a complete gasket kit in it, also put a carb kit in as well. Internals of the engine all looked good.

Added a front mechanical pto...

NOW to the BGB,

The bolt that holds the gear onto the input shaft was backed out completely against the driven shaft, but the main problem was the key on the right hand pulley was completely smeared to nothing, wrecking the keyway and pulley.

So, I found a used pulley, and took the shaft to a local machine shop. Told him to give it a 1/4 turn and cut a new keyway. Turned out pretty good!

Built up all the worn areas and filled in the old groove with JB Weld,

Reassembled with new seals, and made my own gasket for the cover, turned out pretty good, considering what I started with. Nice and tight now.

While I had the tractor pretty well gutted, I flipped the chassis up  so I could work on it easier than laying on the floor.

Freed up the pulley for the lift cable on the mower deck

Installed the lever and linkage for the front PTO

Pulled this rats nest out, I'm going to simplify the wiring considerably.

Put the BGB in, put the motor in, checked/filled/replaced fluids as necissary, hot wired it for now, got it fired up, warmed up, carb adjusted a bit, took it for a drive, hydro feels good.  (whew!) Came back leaking hydro fluid something fierce, replaced one rubbed through hose, all O.K. now.

Got lots of work left to do, right now I'm working on freeing up everything on the deck and trying that out as well. May just mow with this tractor too.

So, now I have a pair of 16 HP hydros to play with. I tried to find a blower for the 416, but no luck. Oh well, I guess I really NEEDED another tractor.

More to come.......

Thanks for looking!
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:53pm
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:06am
BOY THAT YOUNG MAN SURE LOOKS GOOD ON THAT TRACTOR. THEY ALSO SURE MOW NICE''
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic