This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis-Chalmers B Value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis-Chalmers B Value
    Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:00pm
I hope I posted this in the correct section of the forum

I have been restoring antique cars for years now but old tractors have always caught my eye as well.  I didn't gow up on a farm but neverhteless seeing the old farm machinery has always fascinated me.  Anyway, because of this I decided to restore an old tractor but in my search I have found one that is basically already restored so I am wondering if this is a decent deal.  I know it is hard to value a tractor that you haven't seen but here are the basics. It is a 43 'B' and looks pretty nice.  It isn't a perfect restoration but the metal is good and straight, the paint looks great, runs and drives good, etc. 

The owner's bottom dollar is $1500.  I don't think I could restore one for that price so I am thinking it would probably be cheaper and quicker (although not as much fun) to buy this one and play with it.

Thoughts? Does this seem like a decent deal?

Thanks much

Robby
Sponsored Links

RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:08pm

Welcome Robby!  The B is a great & fun little tractor.

Similar to the antique car world, you will find differing definitions of "restoration".  For some, it is new paint and decals.  For others, it is a rebuilt engine, magneto, carb, wiring harness, tires.  You get the point.

For a good running tractor, with only decent paint and tires, I would say that $1500 is not out of line but would be near the high end.  With rebuilt components, new tires, a through restoration, it would be a great deal. 

Get the idea?  We would love some pics.
RobbyH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:21pm
I totally understand what you mean by different ideas of restoration.  To me a restoration is a nut and bolt restoration to like new but as you say, to some it is a fresh coat of paint and new decals.

Here are some pictures - not the best quality but might give you an idea of the tractor

In case you need a password, the guest password is guest7171

Edited by RobbyH - 19 Feb 2010 at 1:28pm
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:58pm
Welcome to the forum.

Your B is interesting, for one, it's a 1943, of which there were less than 1000 made. that makes it a conversation piece.
It has that neat seat on it, which I bet is more comfortable than the stock seat. Probably not going to pass a purist "restoration" challenge though....
If the engine has really been gone thru, then $1500 is not a bad price. You won't get many parts and machine shop work done with the difference between that and the $700-$800 you would pay for a running B.

They are fun little machines, I have a few (well, yeah a few - I could always have more) and they are easy for one person to work on.

Go for it, buy the little guy and get hooked like the rest of us.

Glenn
R Aiken View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Aiken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:08pm
That looks like a good one to get you going.  If you want the fun and experence you can do it the hard way.
This is parts of 4 tractors and less than $100 of new parts.  Richard
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:21pm
This is Richard and parts of a whole lot more tractors.... (if you want the fun of it)

Edited by GlenninPA - 19 Feb 2010 at 2:22pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:28pm
If it is a '43, it is worth the money IMHO, plus there's over $500 worth of tires on it.  I see it's been converted to an alternator and is probably 12 volt but unless you are an absolute original freak, it will do just fine to show or play with.  Easy and relatively cheap to fix.  A lot less work then antique cars and trucks!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:46pm
Robby H.,  First welcome to the Allis Chalmers Forum.  You will find a most helpful group of people here who are very willing to share information.
I am very pleased that you are considering my favorate Allis Chalmers Tractor the B. 
With my father we sold the B for the life of the unit.  In our area - Baltimore County, MD - they were a great seller and just what was needed.  We sold them by the carloads.
You unit looks like a good one.  Tires good.
If you buy this unit let us know and keep in touch to see how things are going in your new endeavor.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Ron(WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:40pm
That might be the high end of prices on that tractor, RobbyH, But from the looks of it, and if it is in as good a shape as it lokss, then $1500 will be a bargain in the long run, if you plan to hang onto it. And you probably will, if the fever hits you like it has the rest of us. After all, I do not know of many places you can buy a new tractor that will do the things that the B can for that money. Wecome to the forum, let us know what you do.
Ron(WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:54pm
This is the same one posted about earlier and on craigslist. The guy was asking $2500, probably knows he was asking way too much.
http://westky.craigslist.org/grd/1600871000.html
RobbyH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 5:13pm
Yes that is it

Robby
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 6:40pm
Welcome to the family of Orange Rob. Being a B guy myself, from looking at the pics, that little dude looks well worth $1500. to me. I came from the antique car/street rod group, and love messin' with these AC Tractors. And, they are a heck of a lot cheaper to build!!
With that, I say "go for it"! Looks like a nice little B model with some upgrades...
Steve@B&B
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:01pm
Glenn, I think I see Fred L. hidin behind the muffler on the Build a B. ANd if you look real hard you can see SkyHigh Mike back there in the air.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 19 Feb 2010 at 7:29pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:02pm
The value of certain tractors can vary quite a lot depending on the number of them in your area and the demand.  That 'B' for $1500 would be a very good buy in my area of the country. I paid $1200 for my original '39 B twelve years ago and it was a good buy then. All I've ever had to do to it was clean and paint it. I have done road tours, parades, and put many hours on it with a belly blade and a mower, and it has always done the job. You couldn't get it away from me for $2500!!
I'd say go for it, it looks like a good unit.
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:11pm
Looks to be a nice B for $1500.  Not the original seat, alternator and not generator, distributor instead of mag.  I'm not knocking it, just a few conversions over the years.  My WD has a distributor on it now too.   Got a good deal on it, and it was cheaper then getting the magneto fixed.  B's are fun little tractors.  It's the only one so far that I have gotten the wife to take for a ride around the yard, and if you looked really close I could see her smirk a little bit!    Tires and paint look nice from the pictures.  Go buy it and let us know how you did.
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:42pm
As my father was in your same situation (sort of, always had the tractor, but was more tuned to cars for a while), you will always have the definition of "restoration" and "original". If you are bothered by old guys coming up to you at a tractor show and saying "this, this, and this is wrong", and not hearing anything else from them, this isn't the tractor for you. But if you don't mind it, there are still plenty of people who I'm sure would love to talk, especially about a '43. You learn a lot just from talking to old guys at tractor shows. I'm 17, have been in the boat for 4-5 years, and enjoy it quite much. Theres many things I could be nit-picky about (I am somewhat of a purist) but I promise you no matter what the B is a great little tractor. Lots of implements, parts are easy to find, and its easy to operate. Since you work on cars, you should not have any problems working on the tractor. Other then the magneto, which some people can get the hang of, and some people can't, you can tear this thing apart in to every piece and be able to put it back together by yourself. I say go for it as a starter. It only takes 1 to catch the "Persian Fever" as I like to call it. (Persian Orange was the "offical" color name of the orange Allis painted their tractors with. Now referred to as PO1 and PO2, changed shades sometime in the 60s with the D series, I don't really know much about tractors that new.) There you go, you learned something today.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:50pm
Boy, those pictures of Richard at the OPotP Build-a-B project sure bring back memories!! We certainly had a ton of fun that weekend. Robby - how you feel about the price you pay is all that counts. If this B is calling to you, go for it. And welcome to the Orange world!!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:01am
I went to a local farm sell last Sat. and they had a B with cultivaters. It had been parked in a barn a few years and the rear tires looked like they had been put on just before it was parked and the were NOT dry rotted. It had electric start and hyd lift and would have probably started and run with a little gas and fresh battery. Motor was loose and paint was average for using tractor. It wasn't bad. It brought about a thousand and that really surprised me for this area. I was hoping to get it for about six or seven hundred, but someone else took it home. JP
gottfriedb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gottfriedb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:49am
I paid $1100 for my 1955B about 4 months ago here in Richmond,VA.  The guy was asking $1200.  The tires are fine, but have age cracks and it had been painted.  Engine runs fine, but I had to replace the guages and muffler.  And I had to work on the charging system.  Otherwise it's been a good tractor.  From the picture you provided, it's hard for me to tell if the one you want is in better shape than mine, but maybe this will give you some idea on the price.  This is my first tractor, so I still don't know if I got a great deal or was taken to the cleaners!
Good luck and like the others have said, you will quickly catch the AC fever and be as tractor crazy as the rest of us - I sure did! 
My first tractor - 1955 B
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:19am
Looks like a good price.  Sometimes hard to judge by photos.  If you chase all over for parts...  B parts are plentiful but total price can add up quick.   I bought mine with cutivators and some extras for $925,  really planned to just mess around in the yard with it for a while.  but got the resto bug that winter and immediately started to tear into it, it was laid up for almost two years and I refuse to add up what I have spent on parts alone.
I learned a bunch tho along the way and had fun.  
I like restorations that keep the hardware as it would have been originally but I like to let them look like they have been used and cared for too.   I have the most fun just using mine for whatever I please so it has scratches, paint wore off the pedals, gas stains, etc.  That is what they looked like on the farm anyway.
My father in law always did model T restos and he would talk at length about things he had fixed that probably no one would ever know about except him.  I found myself spending time (and money) on little details like that too.   I still have 6V unregulated electrics and have all the same issues they had with that in the 50s, but that is part of the fun.

This is how it looked when I bought it...

Then this mess...

this was last week...

Edited by Rick of HopeIN - 20 Feb 2010 at 9:43am
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 11:26am
Buy one restored if you can. A guy  gave the Grandsons a C and by the time we finished it, we had too much in it.  Dave.
Darrell Roberts View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:33pm
Rob, welcome to the forum. I have to agree witha lot of the others on here that what do define as a restored tractor. I can tell you from experience that if you buy a running tractor and simply do cosmetic restoration by the time you figure tearing it down, prep work and body work on the sheet metal, prime and paint you would be hard pressed to do it any cheaper. Add going through the motor or tranny, tires and all the other things like the electrical system you couldn't touch it for that. If it's as good as you decsribe it and it suits you, go for it... but be warned, once it gets in your blood you'll be hooked. Good luck and thanks for posting, Darrell
RobbyH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:08am
Thanks to all who have replied.  Sorry I haven't been back on but had some isseus come up that needed to be taken care of that kept me away from the computer.  I am still interested in the little tractor and will most likely go buy it this weekend. Sounds like I would be hard pressed to restore one at that price

Robby
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic