This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strippers!! pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strippers!! pics
    Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 7:52pm
HAHA the iron kind. This Fiat Allis FD40 and D475A Komatsu were brought in by a contractor to remove overburden at the quarry where I work. Normally all stripping is done in house with a pair of 637E scrapers and 1 or 2 D8's but the "stripping" crew was called off to work on a large road project on the construction side of the company. The FD40 I believe is a Fiat version of the HD41. It is a big machine, that is, unless it sits next to the Komatsu. My F350 in front for perspective.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:09pm
The original big dozers from Springfield Illinois were the HD 41 and the HD 31. The difference is the 31 had a 1150 6 cylinder cummins while the 41 had the 1710 V12 cummins.  AFter several years on improvements, the HD 41 became the FD 50 and the 31 became the FD 40. AS far as i know all the 40s and 50s were built in Springfield ILlinois. When we closed, the plan was to take the tooling to Italy and build there, but i dont think they ever finalized that.  FD40 was one MEAN machine. Overbuilt as it had same trans, converter and finals as the FD50, with a shorter track frame and slightly smaller motor. About 450 HP in the end. NICE MACHINE !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:11pm
With that ripper installed, the FD40 was in the 60-65 ton weight range.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:14pm
I forgot to mention that I was running a loader and helped reattach the blade on the Komatsu. the truck driver told me just the blade weighed 40,000. My HD16 probably weights 34-35,000 with blade and cable unit, lol. Tractor weight was 185,000   
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:21pm
YEP, 475 is a horse.. talk to the operator... I seem to remember it haveing two transmissions, one for each final drive.. and the rear sprockets are not attached to the outboard frame.. something like a high drive CAT.
David Gantt N.C. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gantt N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:26pm
Makes my 125G Dresser look like a Tonka toy, thanks for sharing the pictures
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:53pm
Massive machines! Would love to operate one!!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 12:55pm
Back in the 70's I was watching a local contractor with a HD31 digging a basement for a major complex in downtown St Paul MN . A block square and they dug a hole about 50 ft deep for footings and underground parking facilities.
 The machine would move forward with rippers set into lime-rock and rip a section, then reverse and push material over to 2 rubber tired loader loading dump trucks. In a couple passes there would be a pile it took about 6 or 8 trucks to haul out . 
 So the HD31 would sit for a while letting the loaders make room for the next passes . Remember the size of that machine and then thinking of my HD5G or my D6-9U well they did not even seem to reach the height of the tracks on that machine .    
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 5:53pm
IT IS IRONIC ABOUT THE FA AND KOMATSU .BACK IN GOOD OLD DAYS TWO 41'S WERE SHIPPED TO JAPAN.ABOUT 6 MONTHS LATER THEY ORDERED TWO REAR END HOUSINGS.THIS ALERTED THE BRASS AT FA,BECAUSE IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO TEAR UP THOSE PIECES.SO FA SENT A GUY OVER TO JAPAN TO INVESTIGATE.THE GUY DISCOVERED THAT THE PURCHASER OF THE 41'S AND HOUSINGS WERE "YOU GUESSED IT"KOMATSU!!!THEY WERE REVERSE ENGINEERING IT,TO BUILD THERE OWN.NOW THEY BUILD THE WOLDS BIGGEST CRAWLER.I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF THERE IS SOME OLD FA IDEAS IN THE MACHINE.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 5:14am
Big Al

Rumor hath it that they bought Dresser to get the patent for IH's planetary steer system
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 6:32am
always nice to hear some of the "behind the scenes stories"
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 2:05pm
I was thinking the same thing cornbinder, it's cool and fascinating to read those story's. thanks guys. Think the biggest dozer IV run was the d65 komatsu lol and think like a d 6 cat or was there a 7 to. My neighbor has a 645 loader and we were doing a lot of dirty dirt jobs loading trucks with it and man that ole girl was every where across New York State, after a few years we joked around ad said every town she was in we should wrote it in the cab somewhere.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 10:00am
I ran a D9 for a few days for a friend building a lake, pretty impressive how much it would push.  Talked to a saleswoman at the Cat dealership in AZ several years ago about a log skidder they had for sale.  She mentioned the D10 was much easier for her to operate the the 9.  Doesn't Komatsu make a 575 dozer?  Must be bigger then a D10.
The biggest dozer I own is an HD41 but it's the kind that sits on top of my dresser!  Do have a Hesston/Fiat 605 with a 3 point and 6 way blade, handy when needed.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Flour machine View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flour machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 2:07am
Machine picture is very clear, its function must be good .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic