This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How does a governor work on engine start up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does a governor work on engine start up
    Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 9:42pm

When i turn up the throttle lever the governor does not move the carb linkage to make carb give more gas to intake. Is this just when starting the engine ? The lever on governor seems to work with the spring pressure on the lever, but lever does not activate when I turn up the throttle. I dont have much experience with governors as you can all tell. thanks

Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 6:44am
if the tractor is not running and the throttle is pull wide open then the carb should be wide open.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 6:52am
A governor is an rpm limiter. It trys to keep the butterfly from opening when the engine is running. It takes pressure on the governor spring to over come the force of the governor weights to increase the rpm's. When the engine is not running it should open the butterfly because there is no force from the governor weights.

I am not sure what you think is a problem by your description but then I am a little slow when deciphering other peoples speak when I can not see their hands.  (:^D 
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 8:09am
So when the engine is not running then the butterfly is open an should be pumping gas into intake? also how do I know if the cylinders are getting gas to them.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 8:12am
When I pull the throttle wide open the linkage going from the gov to the carb does not move, so we manualy moved the linkage and it still wont start.
Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 8:46am
Does the linkage move freely without binding, I had a WD that the linkage had siezed, the shaft that moves the carb linkage was binding in the hollow tube it rides in and the tractor would only run at an idle and the throttle did nothing when moved.
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 9:17am
With the engine not running the linkage [must] move freely when you move the throttle lever to open and close the butterfly. If that is not the case you need to repair it to where it does before going to other problems. It seems that you have other problems as well.
No fuel pump in this type of carburetor so when the butterfly is open it takes vacuum from the engine turning over to draw fuel from the carburetor  into the firing chamber.
BILLP-SE-MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 9:29am
I seem I forget how to to set the throttle, to gov, to carb linkage. I rember you have to some times bend the gov arm to fit the carb linkage. Hey guys whats the step by step on this one. Thanks  Bill
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 10:31am
On a B,C,CA you disconnect the carb linkage at the governor arm.  With the throttle handle wide open and the carb butterfly wide open, the throttle arms should be bent so that there is approximately 1/16 of an inch between the throttle linkage and governor arm, ie you will have to pull/flex the governor arm slightly back to get the carb linkage/arm to slip into it.  I believe this to be true with the larger tractors but someone else can confirm. 

To see if you are getting fuel to the cylinders, turning it over/w choke on for a couple of revolutions and removing a spark plug should show/smell fuel on the electrode, if its dry you probably are not getting fuel
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 11:17am
Bill, to think about what you want the adjustment to do is that with the engine running at idle the governor needs to close the butterfly closed against the stop screw. That is the reason for the 1/16" miss match of the connection. I happen to adjust bend the arm in the idle position with throttle pulled all the way back so I know that I have that 1/16" pressure on the stop screw.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 5:39pm
worked in shop still cant get going cleaned carb all valves and holes are clear, turned flywheel to find tdc stamp all i could find is F 25 degrees and then not far from there another line . I realined the distributor rotor to no1 first using F25 degree line, then I tried it on the next mark I could at least get the engine to backfire but thats it  I also adjusted the distributor about a quarter inch both ways to advance and retard but nothing I would think it would at least fire.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 5:40pm
I adjusted the governor linkage like you said and now that seems to work fine so the butterfly opens when I crack the throttle.
Gary in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 5:59pm
From what you said about backfiring, it sounds like you have the timming out 180 degrees. 
Put the #1 cylinder on top dead center, with your finger in the sparkplug hole, feeling for compresion, as it come up (pressur pushing your finger out of the sparkplug hole), check for the timming mark (line) to be in position, then check the distributor/ rotor for correct location (#1)
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 6:06pm
Gary has you covered. You should be up and running in no time.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 8:55pm
So the timing line is the  line that has nothing stamped next to it I thought it would have TDC stamped by it,ok but what does the line with the F and also it says 25 with the degree sign next to it , what is that line for? just wondering if that also has something to do with the timing.
boscoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 9:01pm
The rotor needs to be right on no1 cap post,   lift dist out and turn to no1 , then  I can adjust it slightly one way or the other by loosening the dist hold down bolts? did I mention the plugs still are not wet from gas even when I choke it but it does back fire.
Darrell, Jr. (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell, Jr. (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 10:03pm
boscoe, you are on the right track, but you need to start eliminating things to make sure everything is right.  Gary has it right in that you need to make sure you have the timing right.  If I remember right there should be 2 lines, one that says TDC and the other F.  The line you need to worry about when timing is the F mark.  You will line the F mark up in the opening and then line up the number 1 plug wire with the timing lug, either in the mag or distributor.  If it still will not run and you think you are not getting gas, just take out the plugs and put a little gas in each cylinder and see if it will run for a short time that way, then you will know if your getting gas or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic