[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's got an RC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwstem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's got an RC?
    Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:40am
Just curious to know how many RC's are put there still.
I traded for one a few month ago and am really intrigued by them. What's the story behind your RC?
Mine was bought by a close family friends father when I was 6 months old in 1940, the tractor is a 1939. I believe he paid $56 for it. It replaced the Fordosn, that they hated. It came from a local dealership and was delivered with a John Deere two bottom plow on steel, later to be put on rubber. It was the family's only tractor for years, it pulled a all crop 40, cultivated corn, planted corn, cut, baled and raked hay and even ran a hay loader. I ended up with the set of cultivators for it, the Stover feed mill it ran and the two bottom JD plow and also the Syracuse plow that the horses pulled before the Allis. The previous owners kids dident have an interest in it, and he dident want it to leave the ridge it farmed for most of its life so I eneded up with it, working on gettin it running. It's in real nice shape, always barn kept but hasent been started in about 10 years. What's the story behind your RC?
hwstem
1939, RC Allis, 1941, Farmall A, 2 1938 Silver King R-44's (to make one) 1953? Case SC (parts for sale) -"If you are going to do something, do it right"
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:12am
I have one in need of restoration. From what I have heard the RC was a try at a cheaper tractor for those that couldn't afford a WC but it ended up not working out that great because of the small engine it wasn't that well liked and production stopped.
20-35, Wauk B, 2-B's, IB, 2-TLB's, TLW, TL6, C, CA, 2-G's, WC, styled WF, WD45w/AARPS, 2-W Patrols, M crawler, D15, D15 forklift, TT-18, B125 PU, Ford 8N
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:06am
Lots of them sold in S.E. Michigan out of Banting Company, a distributor out of Toledo, Oh. The soil was sandy, but fertile. They, and the B's were perfect for produce or "truck gardening".  Have a rough project or parts tractor that i'm going to post soon.
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:55am
93 RC listed on this Forums 'Owners Registry'

Gary

http://www.allischalmers.com/registry/registry_list.asp
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 12:15pm
The feller that I bought my RC from was personal friends with the original owner from what I understand. Its a 39' and nothing has been changed on it. Still has all the original sheetmetal on it, runs, and is a perfect canidate for a resto. It still has the original spoked wheels on the rear, however, they are rotted through pretty bad due to being loaded, but I did get another nice set of spoked wheels for it from my pal "crabby" Norm Stienman, at the GOTO in OH. last year. She's all tarped over right now till I get my new pole barn up, then I can get started on it maybe this Fall to start tearin' the ole girl down. I did manage to get the rearend done with new rear brakes installed along with new brake handle bushings, seals and hardware thanks to my bud Tony C. I have to thank my pal Alan (Alan/NJ) for tippin' me off on that one! It was located not to far from us here in New Joisey so ya know the "dynamic duo" had to go fetch it as we usually do when him and I purchase a Tractor or two once in a while.... Thumbs Up  Big Al, get the trailer ready, we got another road trip to do. Goin' down to see our ole' pal Fred to pickup my G engine and my WF. And the saga continues.....
mdtractormechanic View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 1:14pm
Hi Wade,

I have a 1940 RC waiting for restoration also. I've collected info on 129 rc's so far. If you could post your tractor's serial number a long with the engine number and any info you would like to add, I will place it in my RC data list.

The RC was geared lower to compensate for a smaller engine. I beleive many bought the RC with the idea that it would be much like the WC. This obviously was a misconception on their part (or they were mislead on what the RC could do). I have talked to a couple of old timers that had RC's that had no complaints with it's operation except for the transport speed. If money could be found, the Sherman step-up transmission was installed to alleviate that issue. Also foot brake kits became available which fit both the RC and WC for a more hands free operation.

Thanks and have fun with the new toy, Joe

Edited by mdtractormechanic - 20 May 2013 at 1:15pm
Joe's 1939 Model WC, 1940 Model RC, 1944 & 1950 Model C's, B-125 PU
wf32 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wf32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 1:45pm
have this RC and its also for sale
Phil

TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:31pm
I have three:
1939 Allis Chalmers RC S/N RC2053 not original engine R2264 G
1939 Allis Chalmers RC S/N RC2211 engine R2238 G
1940 Allis Chalmers RC S/N RC4870 parts tractor - no engine or sheet metal - differential and frame rails are about the only things left that are RC.  It is for sale.
hwstem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwstem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:41pm
Thanks for all the info and story's guys! My tractors serial number is RC2530. Where is the engine number located?
hwstem
1939, RC Allis, 1941, Farmall A, 2 1938 Silver King R-44's (to make one) 1953? Case SC (parts for sale) -"If you are going to do something, do it right"
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:25pm
I have 1940 #5107 I got it from a friends estate when he passed away, "Quenton Kroge" I know he bought from the local dealer in Higginsville, Mo. back around 2000.
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:32pm
WE have one that my grandfather restored 25 years or so ago. Ser# 624, Just sitting in the barn, we get it out once or twice a year to let it run.
If you know how many tractors you have, you dont have enough
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by hwstem hwstem wrote:

Thanks for all the info and story's guys! My tractors serial number is RC2530. Where is the engine number located?
hwstem
The serial is located by the air filter.

Edited by mdtractormechanic - 20 May 2013 at 10:07pm
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:38pm
The serial # is on the opposite side as the oil filter.
20-35, Wauk B, 2-B's, IB, 2-TLB's, TLW, TL6, C, CA, 2-G's, WC, styled WF, WD45w/AARPS, 2-W Patrols, M crawler, D15, D15 forklift, TT-18, B125 PU, Ford 8N
Cheri IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheri IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:23pm
Ours is a 1940.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by MNLonnie MNLonnie wrote:

The serial # is on the opposite side as the oil filter.
Thanks Lonnie.....I posted the wrong picture.....that's what happens when you rush...LOL
hwstem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwstem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:14pm
Thanks! I'll post the engine serial number tomrrow.
acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:24pm
  I have a 1940 RC was "restored"  when I bought it  a couple of years ago.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:40pm
There is a RC about 30 min away from me. It has been sitting in the barn for 20 to 30 years. Engine turns over but it is somewhat modified and cobbled up. Owner wants $1000 for it.
Owner of A&W Tractor Repair & Parts, Cecil, WI
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:07am
My brother has one sitting in the shed needing some attention. Looks not too bad though.
Read Romans 1 Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:03am
I used to own RC8 - engine #R12G  I restored it and after a few years sold it to a fellow from Audobon MN.  Still have one left (not for sale) s/n 1756 if I remember correctly. They are a cute little tractor, I like to think of them as a interm project to give AC a chance to compete with the Farmall F12 and the Jack Deere B untill 1940 when AC came out with the C
Dale H. ECIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H. ECIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:20am
From what I have heard, AC was making the WC, all narrow front, and the B with a wide non-adjustable front and some small farmers were wanting a small tractor with a NF. AC had all kinds of WC parts and all kinds of B parts so they decided to put the B engine in the WC frame. The only problem it would not do much better then the B as far as power and they could not sell it much less then the WC. It was the for runner of the C which came out in 1940.
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:04am
I have 2 1/2...plus a couple of sets of 15" rims.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year: 185D, last one made in 1973, 1954 WD45, 1963 MM M5 #4963 of 5157
Kev Card View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Card Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:22am
I have the one my granddad farmed with haven't started it in a month or so seem funny to climb on the wc after running the rc for a while a whole lot more hood sticking up out front on the wc
RC,WC,2 C'S,WD45,185 ,618 LT

If it's orange and rusty Mary don't trust me
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:10pm
There is a restored RC on display at the National Ag Hall of Fame in Bonner Springs, Ks. Was donated by a family from Wisconsin who restored it in memory of a family member who was a long-time Allis employee. Will get the S# and particulars tomorrow and get it in the registry.

Dennis J.
Channel_Seedsman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Channel_Seedsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:32pm
My dad has a  RC. I really like it, easy to maneuver and looks good.  When we moved everything out of the Lean to off the barn(there was about 12 non-running tractors, M crawler, couple pull-behind combines, roto baler and various implements) to have it cemented, most of it was moved with the RC. It was a lot of fun to work that tractor.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 1:45pm
I'm heading over to help my Dad(hopefully) start his 1939 RC for the very first time in about an hour. We're just completing a very thorough restoration. Don't know who was the original owner of this one, but we got it from the son of the second owner who bought it used from a dealer in Provo, Utah when it was only two years old. Ser. #1175 with engine #1177. Darryl Krause in Washington State recently acquired Ser. #1173 with engine #1175. Hopefully these two RCs will get together again for a family photo at the GOTO in August! Kip 
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:48pm
From my research, the RC was it's own design which utilized some existing components. The majority of those parts were from the WC and some from the B. It contained many made for RC only parts in the early years then adapting more WC parts later on. This was supposedly done to off-set the high production cost of the RC specific components. Tom Foss wrote at least one article on the Model RC and show examples of some differences between the RC and WC on his website. Great source!

The RC's received a new 125 R designated series engine made for the RC. About a year later was used in the model C with CE designation with a couple of minor differences. The engine may have been designed with both models in mind. The Model B at the time used the 116 designated series BE engine and didn't use the 125 CE designated series until 1943 or about.

Edited by mdtractormechanic - 21 May 2013 at 4:58pm
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:08pm
Have 3
D-allis Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:34pm
I have 2 RC's
Sheridan-Utah View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheridan-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:33pm
Kip and I put the number 1 piston at top of compresion stroke--The crank pulley set screw on top--Put the mag on number 1--Put in some gas hit the starter and it started and ran very well.  It hadent ran for 40 years. It was exciting after a complete restoration.
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON
We show, pull, & go!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic