This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carb help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb help?
    Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 10:40am
im gettin ready to put together an engine for my wd45. its gonna be 260 ci and about 10:1 compression. i was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what i should do for a carb? put a different one on? or modify the original one? what do i do to it that would help the most?
Sponsored Links

Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 11:28am
Some people say the stock 45 carb. Some say the Gleaner E carb. Some say a lot but produce nothing. Here is a link...

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65113&title=carburetor-for-wc-puller
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 8:49pm
I run a E Gleaner carb, TSX863???? Not sure of the #, VERRY LITTLE MODIFICATIONS, just clean and tuned more or less. I also ran a WD45 carb, it did good also.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 7:59pm
It will like the mm u carb with the small Venturi. Tsx67. More so at 20% rpms
mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:21pm
send your carb to Motec engineering in Tipton,In-they will re-build the carb to your engine needs.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:38pm
What am I missing here, WD, WD45=D17, 175 and D19s (262CI) were 4 progressively larger carb (175 had larger venturi)and the D19 was a larger bore bigger carb. The limiting factor is the smallest area of airflow restriction. We modified the WD manifold to accept a D19 carb.
Unless you lug down to an rpm that lowers the air flow to 200 cubic inch flow - we found the D19 -if rules allowed pulled more hp.
We even tried a 190 or G gleaner (301 CI) carb but gained no additional hp.    My 2 cents
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 6:58am
You would have to wind a little motor pretty darn hard to gain anything with a 190 gas style carb. The throttle bore is just too big. As far as motec goes, I've worked on several tractors that had carbs he "did" on them. For the price and the promises, I'm not interested. Matt will tell you anything you want to hear. Search carb work on here and see what pops up. Alot of this you can do yourself in 10 minutes.

260 cubes at stock or slightly higher rpm is right on the edge between a tsx67 and a d17 style carb. The mms and the d19 marvel carbs were same body and bore. I'd use the 7/8ths Venturi out of the mm u tractor.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:26pm
If the engine is a compression engine 11.1 or better which a little cubic inch motor has to be it will pull a larger carb as tbran suggest or even bigger.  You can hear the difference at idle when you get one right big enough.another way to look at carbs is what the hp the engine the carb was on from the factory and what the minimum  hp your build is and match them. Most starters turn somewhere around 400 rpms so anything below 600 rpms i am not concerned with matter a fact i am more concerned with getting the clutch rolled in quick enough so my little compression motor dont roll backwards and pop the head gasket jmho

Edited by mlpankey - 02 May 2013 at 7:31pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 7:16am
The TSX464 is a nice carb to work with, and being its the normal carb for the WD45, depending on what else you have done to the engine other than large squeeze, can be made to dial in on your engine. Even the other M/S carbs that are in that general "family" of carbs can be made to work well also. I've been doing a lot of pullin' carbs lately for some of our customer's, and still experimenting. It takes a little while to dial the motor in to where its happy in the power range the engine establishes. Fast air speed through the carb adds torque, and the more "grunt" you can make, the better she'll pull. Its just a matter of getting the right air/fuel mix at the right speed, and that takes some time to dial in...
nborga87 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 1:06am
i have a d19 carb but it seems awful big? would it be worth trying or should i try working with the one that came on it?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 5:38am
D19 carb is a definate step up and will make more HP if you get it mounted, adjusted and jetted correctly.
nborga87 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nborga87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:26pm
what do you do about the governor if you use the d 19 carb
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 5:59pm
You have to change the throttle shaft to the other side of the carb and make a lever for the shaft the same exact length as a D17 and position that lever the same as a D17 and adjust the governor link rod length the same as a D17.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:12am
Steve did a TSX 863 (similar to the common TSX 464) for our 240 cid WC puller. Basically a good precision stock rebuild. It works great at 2200 rpms without a stutter... I won another pull with this tractor a couple of weeks ago. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:59am
Kip,
Glad to hear that carb is workin' for ya! Sounds like you guys are doin' good and got that puppy dialed in! "Basically a good stock rebuild" (with a little tweekin')  LOL!  Thumbs Up  Good Luck to you guys this year!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic